The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 19th, 2023

richwmn

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, I know things in the yard have to be done before there is frost.  I was thinking more about inside the house.

Ah, got it, Lenda.  I’d rather not since someone will be coming in to make sure all is good.  And it’s no fun coming back to a messy, dirty house 😉 

I’ll get there, never fear.

• Like 17

Good morning, 

I like butterscotch pudding, did "talk like a pirate day" with my students when I was teaching, and the meal of the day sounds good. 

Sunday I took my cousin and her husband on a tour of the area, so basically a day trip, and we had a great time. She wanted to see all the places I tell her about in my emails so we went for the exciting things like the high school parking lot where the seniors paint (personalize) their parking spots, by Life Care and the hospital where DH stayed, went to Olive Garden for lunch (soup, salad, breadsticks) as they don't have one anywhere near them, then by recycle, and the display of driftwood masterpieces that a local person has on display. The highlights of our country area! heee... I picked them up at 10 AM and returned them to the KOA (where their motorhome was parked) at 4:00 PM. It was a great day! We haven't seen each other in 5 years although we call and email regularly so being together was so much fun. 

Yesterday was back to water aerobics, errands and trying to make some order in the house and that's going to take awhile. Since the Celebration of Life I feel that I've sent DH off on a great note and now feel I can start tackling the clothes and other personal things. We'll see how that goes over the next few weeks. 

Today is PT and more organizing so nothing too exciting. 

Karen

• Like 24

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ah, got it, Lenda.  I’d rather not since someone will be coming in to make sure all is good.  And it’s no fun coming back to a messy, dirty house 😉 

I’ll get there, never fear.

I agree about coming back to a messy house.  DH doesn't always understand why I clean the house a day or two before we leave.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I'll pass on all the special days, but I applaud New Zealand. OK on the chicken, NOK on the drink. For the wine, I'll suggest Standing Stone Teinturier Dry Rosé 2022, made from the Saperavi grape, which has red flesh so the wine is redder than a rosé made from, say, Cabernet Franc. I hardly need to say that I haven't been to Kahului.

On the bacon topic: in the U.S., English bacon as Graham describes, made from the pork loin, would be recognized as Canadian bacon: https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/food-network-essentials/what-is-canadian-bacon. But what is it called in Canada?

Today I'll be headed to the nature center at the top of the hill to do the assigned reading for my class. And I have another class, through edX, from KU Leuven that starts this week.

Noahhoardinganimals.thumb.jpg.f578ccd136b902ebbb7630f0043f9d2d.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 10

15 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

On the bacon topic: in the U.S., English bacon as Graham describes, made from the pork loin, would be recognized as Canadian bacon: https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/food-network-essentials/what-is-canadian-bacon. But what is it called in Canada?

Back Bacon by many including the producers 🙂  Much better than regular “bacon”  IMO.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We had game night with our group. @dfish Debbie we played Farkle and had 2 tables of 4. Our friend beat all of us twice. His trophy picture is on my phone and I'll add it in a minute.

Our Farkle winners trophy

0918231941a.thumb.jpg.63fa1defaa671e1011917f359f110cf5.jpg

How cool!  We should get a trophy except we'd fight over who got it.

58 minutes ago, happywandering said:

I have lemon grass in my yard.  Help yourself!

A little long on the commute, otherwise I would.  Thanks for the offer!

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

I had forgotten how beautiful Maui is until I saw @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda's pictures today.  My mother was born in Lahaina in 1910 after her family immigrated from Siberia.  At the time the main industry was sugar cane.  @Heartgrove Jack's comments on the boat problems reminded me of my first year in the Navy.  I was in the deck force and qualified as coxswain on a 50 foot motor launch.  It took four sailors to man the launch; a coxswain who was in charge and steered the boat, an engineman who ran the engine and transmission, and a bow tender and stern tender who handled the lines to tie up the boat.  The coxswain told the engineman the speed and whether to go forward or astern by ringing a bell.  One day at quarters they asked "Who can type?".  I raised my hand and finished my first enlistment in the Personnel Office.

Ray

• Like 23

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  No one to dance with but I do like butterscotch pudding.  that quote of Robert Frost’s is ever so true.

The meal sounds great to me.  We did enjoy beautiful Hawaii when we visited.  Yay on New Zealand for the great anniversary and what they did for women 👍 

IMG_1131.thumb.jpeg.86252ba261e7d7091d6e737aec11e431.jpeg

Well, of course it it pouring rain here today.  We needed more rain like a hole in the head 😔. On the bright side, got more yard clean up damage done by Lee, 7 planters are in the shed and 6 more are emptied 👍. Sounds great until you see how many are left 😬 I am definitely cutting back next year.  The humongous ones that I need someone else to help me lift are going.  Whatever I can’t manage is going.

IMG_1133.thumb.jpeg.c69413877ae495450a4e885f8cdd5f82.jpeg

I fly out two weeks from today.  I don’t have clothes laid out or chosen like some of my roll call members, house needs cleaning, planters need to be finished.  Think I am in trouble ? 😱 

since it’s raining out, I think you can guess what I will try to get done today once I get a bit of roll call stuff out of the way and my booster appointment made.

Kazu, you live in Canada. Do you have the new booster available already? I’ve been trying to get one for DH and myself before we sail next Wednesday, but am told it’s not our turn. Frustrating. Got a ‘just in case’ Paxlovid prescription instead.

• Like 15

Good afternoon everyone. Thank you for the good wishes for Sam and the anniversary wishes. Sam had brain surgery yesterday to stop the brain bleed. It was successful and now the team is deciding if he goes to rehab or home. It’s been a very stressful month but hopefully things will start to improve soon.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. Thank you for the good wishes for Sam and the anniversary wishes. Sam had brain surgery yesterday to stop the brain bleed. It was successful and now the team is deciding if he goes to rehab or home. It’s been a very stressful month but hopefully things will start to improve soon.

Carol, that is good news that Sam had his surgery yesterday and that it was successful.  You couldn't have asked for a better anniversary present.  Try to get some rest now that the surgery is done.

Lenda

• Like 20

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I'll pass on all the special days, but I applaud New Zealand. OK on the chicken, NOK on the drink. For the wine, I'll suggest Standing Stone Teinturier Dry Rosé 2022, made from the Saperavi grape, which has red flesh so the wine is redder than a rosé made from, say, Cabernet Franc. I hardly need to say that I haven't been to Kahului.

Today I'll be headed to the nature center at the top of the hill to do the assigned reading for my class. And I have another class, through edX, from KU Leuven that starts this week.

In the UK we have Back Bacon as well as Smoked and Unsmoked Bacon.

Screenshot_20230919_193031.jpg

Screenshot_20230919_193117.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, Ineke said:

Kazu, you live in Canada. Do you have the new booster available already? I’ve been trying to get one for DH and myself before we sail next Wednesday, but am told it’s not our turn. Frustrating. Got a ‘just in case’ Paxlovid prescription instead.

I called today to make my appointment and because I have the Fall and Spring boosters, I need to wait until mid October when the new booster will be here.  I explained I was going away and they said I should be fine since I have both.

Never thought of Paxlovid.  I have no medical conditions to be leery of other than my age and bad habits 😜. I feel your frustration, believe me.  I couldn’t get mine until after the 25th and didn’t realize I would have to wait.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, dfish said:

If I can find lemongrass anywhere in town I just may try it. 

Lemon zest is an excellent substitute for lemongrass.  The recipes do look delicious.

Today I would like everyone to refer to me as Squidlips Bones Swashbuckler or I may have to make you walk the plank.IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.4624d37c8bc84acc1ca945908baaa90d.jpeg

When my niece and I arrived at the port of Kahului, I rented a car with the intention of driving to Hana.  Although it was truly beautiful, the road to Hana was the narrowest, twistiest road I have ever driven.  Several times I had to back up because a large tour  bus took up the entire road.  We stopped at a beautiful scenic overlook to have a picnic lunch.  My niece admitted she was feeling a bit car sick and I was happy to turn around and return to the port.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

What absolutely FABULOUS news, Carol. ♥️. I am so very, very glad to hear this.

What a relief for you!

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Around here we call that back bacon Peameal.   Mmmgood. 

We only call it Peameal if it has the coating on it (cornmeal I think?  My memory is short today) 😂 

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

In the UK we have Back Bacon as well as Smoked and Unsmoked Bacon.

Screenshot_20230919_192034.jpg

I get British Back Bacon regularly on Queen Mary 2.  Old Crystal offered Canadian Bacon although I do not know if it has been carried over to new Crystal.

Roy

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Lemon zest is an excellent substitute for lemongrass.  The recipes do look delicious.

Today I would like everyone to refer to me as Squidlips Bones Swashbuckler or I may have to make you walk the plank.IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.4624d37c8bc84acc1ca945908baaa90d.jpeg

When my niece and I arrived at the port of Kahului, I rented a car with the intention of driving to Hana.  Although it was truly beautiful, the road to Hana was the narrowest, twistiest road I have ever driven.  Several times I had to back up because a large tour  bus took up the entire road.  We stopped at a beautiful scenic overlook to have a picnic lunch.  My niece admitted she was feeling a bit car sick and I was happy to turn around and return to the port.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Based on the above my Pirates Name is RedneckBob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

11 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Tina, we made it to Hana on our second try.  The first try with the slow going, we decided to turn around so we wouldn't be late back to the tender.  The second time, we made it to Hana, and realized had we turned around just a few miles from Hana.  It was worth seeing.

Lenda

• Like 15

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

In Ontario, this back bacon is sold as peameal bacon as the back bacon is rolled in

Corn meal! 

• Like 13

Good day and thanks all! 
@mamaofami happy anniversary, so glad Sam got his surgery!  Best wishes for a quick recovery. 
IMO  Canadian aka back bacon is the best!
@Ineke are you able to go to Bellingham?  Worth checking if it’s a possibility? 

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites.

Posting a picture from my phone of my sister's car damage, then will switch to my laptop and read the Daily.

My sister's car

59188.thumb.jpeg.1caf190a184f28284b41102c55c5dc67.jpeg

The other driver had a smudge on her back bumper..

IMO  most of the car looks good, they are great cars and protected your DS, thankfully. 

IMG_2922.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@0106What a find!  I am Miss Jack Silver, DH is Matey Bones Silver. I rather like them both!

@USN59-79 As my career was Human Resources, I have to apologize that you got sidetracked from your life on the far more interesting high seas. Note to self:  Don't raise hand. 

Regarding Covid boosters, since we hadn't had any booster since the early availability of Bivalent, we just got another of those. And hope we can call it good for our upcoming cruise. Our doctor did give us a round of Paxlovid to take along as insurance. 

@mamaofami So happy for your wonderful news!

• Like 19
  • Haha 1