White Night

Gregrat

21 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It's funny you mention that, because I was going to ask if anyone recycles their togas from their old Costa cruises back when they held those parties.  lol

Vince

Off topic here again, but back-in-the-pre-Carnival-days of the privately-owned Costa, the toga night mantra was "no sheet - no eat". That last evening in the dining room was wild. It really helped if you were buzzed. Very buzzed...

Now, back to the original programming...

Rob  🤣🤣😁

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Off topic here again, but back-in-the-pre-Carnival-days of the privately-owned Costa, the toga night mantra was "no sheet - no eat". That last evening in the dining room was wild. It really helped if you were buzzed. Very buzzed...

Now, back to the original programming...

Rob  🤣🤣😁

I think that's why it's sticking in my head this long.  😄 ...And I never even experienced it firsthand!  (Though I was a travel agent back in that era.)

Vince

September 29, Symphony 

White Party

As Timmy and I were heading to the elevator, we encountered two couples…beautifully dressed…nothing white. As we waited for the elevator, here comes another couple, again no white.

So I pull Tim off the elevator, thinking I’d made a mistake on the date of the White Party (certainly would not be the first time) …quick check of the app…we had the correct date and the well attended party was fantastic. Anna Alonzo and the show band kept the dance floor energized.

xIMG_1065.thumb.jpeg.6eea4ea29dc8ed57ce7607f1ae140734.jpeg

x

IMG_1064.thumb.jpeg.c977752bba3cc95eaf489c93dda025c7.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 5:43 AM, Keith1010 said:

I know where you read about not having a formal night as I had provided that information. And yes it should be available to everyone so they can plan.

But there is a white party on every cruise regardless of length and at least on this board I don't remember anyone saying otherwise.

Have a great time tonight and I am sure several people won't be in white.

Keith

I have three white dresses Sio that's easy. But my husband has many white dress shirts but no white pants of any kind. Do many men wear white shirts and blue or black dress pants or tan chinos?  

2 hours ago, whoopie said:

I have three white dresses Sio that's easy. But my husband has many white dress shirts but no white pants of any kind. Do many men wear white shirts and blue or black dress pants or tan chinos?  

You will see a mix for the gents and the ladies. Some were all white and some a combo so what you said will be fine.  I do wear white pants but a colored shirt. Anne Marie usually wears something contrasting as well and not always white pants. 

All good.

Keith

7 hours ago, whoopie said:

As I've posted before, it's just a subset of passengers who wear anything white. This is not something that all the passengers attend. So, my comment is, do what you want.

Patty

• Like 1

White party started at 10.30 pm on the Serenity. Too late. Many of us were wearing white for the whole evening but I do not think many made it to the party because it being late. It would be nice imho to have this party on Deck 12 with some nice buffet and early instead of the way is done now. 

Ivi

• Like 1

FWIW, we rarely attend this event anymore. It’s held in the Cove/atrium. The acoustics are abysmal. It’s overamplified and painfully loud. Many people enjoy this entertainment event. Fortunately, there are plenty of other options for those seeking an alternative entertainment. Definitely do not obsess about clothing color. The staff wears white. The guests wear what they feel comfortable wearing.

Rob

• Like 3

As others have said no one should worry about whether or not they wear white.

I do see more people in white with each passing month and year.

For me, we don't make it to the events but we do wear something white. Just changes things up.

My wife always brought white pants with her or tops that have white in them. I made the change to white by getting white pants but sometimes I wear them to Tastes as well.

I don't do the all white look nor does Anne Marie but I see many doing that.

I was thinking I should do the all black look and maybe they will cast me in Men In Black but I suspect if they do it will be to play the part of the alien. Just saying.  🤗

Keith

Unfortunately this event has never been successful with Crystal. If I recall it started only some years ago. It could be a nice party but not the way it us conducted now. 

Below a white party at a different cruise line. 

ivi

IMG_3370.thumb.jpeg.8352098ed3613ce742e9b51dbc4eddcd.jpeg

5 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Unfortunately this event has never been successful with Crystal. If I recall it started only some years ago. It could be a nice party but not the way it us conducted now. 

Below a white party at a different cruise line. 

IMG_3370.thumb.jpeg.8352098ed3613ce742e9b51dbc4eddcd.jpeg

Looks like a deck party on other ships I've sailed that merely added the "white party" element. Very nice experience but obviously Crystal's conception of "white party"  is different. Different, but also one that affords a very entertaining and enjoyable evening. Personally, I consider the event quite the success.

1 hour ago, Shorex said:

Looks like a deck party on other ships I've sailed that merely added the "white party" element. Very nice experience but obviously Crystal's conception of "white party"  is different. Different, but also one that affords a very entertaining and enjoyable evening. Personally, I consider the event quite the success.

I've been to an Azamara "white party" like the photo.  As mentioned by Shorex, it's basically a deck buffet with a "white" theme.  A little entertainment combined with a lot of confusion searching for a table to have dinner, as it's the only venue open -- and you are on your own to find a spot to sit.

Meh.

I think of the White Night as a mixer and that's what it is.  Provides an opportunity for guests who want to participate to do so including dancing, listening to music, watching others dance, and just having fun together.  It's not for everyone but nothing is.

It was introduced in February of 2018 when Serenity and Sydney were in Sydney as part of the world cruise on each ship. That night there was a white gala fro all of the world cruisers off the ship and when they returned it was the start of White Night on board each ship for everyone. We happened to be visiting Serenity that day while with family in Sydney.

If they would go the Azamara route it would mean the closure of all restaurants so one less night at the specialty ones and we know on short cruises or even ones which include two visits to each one the challenges of accommodating everyone. And then there are those who don't like buffets.

Anyway, as they say it is what it is and that is a night where those who want to attend can enjoy the party and those who don't can still dress in white or not.

Keith

Why would they have to close all restaurants if they go the Azamara way? Azamara does not close any restaurant on that evening. As a matter of fact many cruisers I know including me go to the MDR on the night of this event and afterwards to have the desert at the white party ( nice crepes usually prepared by some officer) and to dance.

There are always plenty of tables and I have never experienced anyone looking desperately to find a place. Russ did a wonderful job on the white parties when he was Cruise Director at Azamara. 

However, I understand that it is not for everyone. I understand also that we have different indicators of success. For example, I do not consider a success when only about 20 people (including dance hosts and entertainers) are on the event. Time will tell, which changes this event will experience. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travelberlin said:

However, I understand that it is not for everyone. I understand also that we have different indicators of success. For example, I do not consider a success when only about 20 people (including dance hosts and entertainers) are on the event. Time will tell, which changes this event will experience. 

We were on Serenity in 2018 when they did this the first time, and nothing has changed, including the decorations, since then. We generally head to the Avenue instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

They sure did the night we were aboard.

Buffet or nothing.

Sorry to hear about your experience. My last two cruises with Azamara were January 2023 and May 2023. All restaurants open including the specialty restaurants. 
Ivi

• Like 1

Ivi, this is all speculative but..............

If they make this the focus of the evening then it would attract a lot of people for a buffet dinner.

Where they would have it would be anyone's guess but not the pool deck IMHO. Too many issues including weather.

So probably Marketplace and if a lot of people attended Tastes too.

The staffing would likely need to come from the specialty restaurants and Tastes.

With all this when we were on the Holiday Cruise we had a special New Years buffet but it was not the Grand Gala Buffet but rather it utilized Market Place and had some items from the buffet. 

Many on board remarked that they preferred it this way; as they find buffets a big waste of food and a spreader of germs, etc.

So I just don't see this happening anyway.

White night is just a mixer.

Also just as there are some things that work well on Serenity and Symphony and might not work well on smaller ships there are things that work well on smaller ships that might not work well on Crystal size ships.

It's good we all have our opinions but in the end Crystal will decide. In this day and age of post covid and not wasting food I don't see it happening in addition to other factors such as staffing and weather.  JMO.

Keith

• Like 2

8 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Why would they have to close all restaurants if they go the Azamara way? Azamara does not close any restaurant on that evening. As a matter of fact many cruisers I know including me go to the MDR on the night of this event and afterwards to have the desert at the white party ( nice crepes usually prepared by some officer) and to dance.

There are always plenty of tables and I have never experienced anyone looking desperately to find a place. Russ did a wonderful job on the white parties when he was Cruise Director at Azamara. 

I don’t know what sailing you were on, but n Nov. 2nd out of Miami, there were way more than 20 guests, plus dance hosts, plus entertainers. Just watching CD Raphael and his dance partners was fun for me.

I just looked at my photos, where I was reminded we ate at Umi Uma that night. It was fun seeing the other diners in their white, such a variety!

• Like 1