Egg Crate & Door Sign

Sominex

Hi all, planning a cruise from Fort Lauderdale, FL next March; do cruisers still ask for an egg crate topper to be placed on their bed?

Also, are the doors magnetic so I can put our name on the entry door?

Thanks all,

BJH

58 minutes ago, Senga said:

Both your names will already be on the entrance door.

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

that depends on the cruise line

Ours are never on the door & if they were  they would not be there for long

JMO

We too have never had our names on the door. And we'd also remove them if we cruised on a line that put up our names.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

that depends on the cruise line

28 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We too have never had our names on the door. And we'd also remove them if we cruised on a line that put up our names.

Sorry, my comment was specific to Princess cruises where your names are displayed on the entry plate.

11 minutes ago, Senga said:

Sorry, my comment was specific to Princess cruises where your names are displayed on the entry plate.

Ah. Our only booked Princess cruise was cancelled due to COVID, so we've not experienced that. Quite honestly, I'm surprised, as I view that as rather personal information that there is no need to share with thousands of strangers.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Senga said:

I thought your name only appeared on the door plate when it sensed your medallion within X feet of the door.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Quite honestly, I'm surprised, as I view that as rather personal information that there is no need to share with thousands of strangers.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I thought your name only appeared on the door plate when it sensed your medallion within X feet of the door.

No, the names are totally visible at all times to anyone walking by.  Not sure if you can request they be removed.

6 hours ago, Sominex said:

Hi all, planning a cruise from Fort Lauderdale, FL next March; do cruisers still ask for an egg crate topper to be placed on their bed?

Also, are the doors magnetic so I can put our name on the entry door?

Thanks all,

BJH

When I see full names it’s just cringeworthy. You don’t mention the cruise line but in my experience it has never been the practice of cruise lines. Our stewards always have taken the time to get to know us by name … so posting for all to see serves no purpose and can be a vector to privacy breaches. Just my 2CW. 

10 hours ago, Senga said:

No, the names are totally visible at all times to anyone walking by.  Not sure if you can request they be removed.

You are correct. On Princess Medallion equipped ships, which AFAIK is now the whole fleet, the cabin resident's names are shown on the electronic display mounted into the cabin wall right next to the door. Here's a random example off a Cruise Critic cabin review. We've never had a problem with that, there's a far more insidious problem with the Medallion system than just posting the names. We're back on Princess next week, on the Discovery, if I can remember, I'll ask at Guest Services about anonymizing the display to remove the names.

B8BBCDC6-FEC4-451D-8D6A-C9CBECF26A81.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sominex said:

I should have specified; I don't put our last names on the sign or our address.

Also no one has commented on the need for an sponge egg crate mattress topper?

Thank you all for your comments...

BJH

It would depends on the cruise line 

on a RCL ship I had a topper add