Mont Saint Michel excursion

Kayentacc

Which port? How long is the port stop? If it's le Havre, it's a 2 1/2 hrs drive each way. And there is no direct train. IMO this is too far from the ship to do on your own. If the ship isn't offering an excursion there, that should tell you something.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kayentacc said:

Thanks for the great suggestions. Arriving in St. Malo 0800 leave 1800.

Certainly possible to do Mont St Michel from St Malo. It is less than an hour by car. I'm not sure whether there is a direct bus link, but personally I would look at renting a car or taxi.

As an aside, the old town of St Malo is one of my favourite towns in France, with lovely views form the town walls and lots of fantastic sea food restaurants. Well worth a visit in its own right.

17 hours ago, Kayentacc said:

Thanks for the great suggestions. Arriving in St. Malo 0800 leave 1800.

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic,

St Malo makes life a great deal easier than Cherbourg or Le Havre.

As @Simon-t  posted, it's only about an hour by road.

But a private tour or transport or car rental would be expensive for just a two-some.

So check your cruise RollCall as @Essiesmom has suggested.   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/321-oceania-roll-calls/

Or even post on there yourself looking for sharers.

Also check the 'web for St Malo tour operators - MSM is surely a popular destination from there.

But be wary of tours which aren't geared to cruisers - you'll need to be back at the ship by 5pm or 5.30, and whilst getting back late to a St Malo hotel is no big deal it can royally screw-up a cruise.

I'm surprised that MSM isn't an Oceania tour option, it seems to be such an obvious one.

So keep an eye on their offerings, it may appear and would certainly be cheaper than any private alternatives for just a two-some.

BTW, the arrangements at MSM are:

Your transport (car or bus) parks in a large parking lot a mile or two away, and you take a shuttlebus along the causeway to MSM.

MSM is one very steep & twisty pedestrian street lined with shops, bars, cafes etc.

We've been there 3 times over the years and never made it to the top 🙄, but still very worthwhile. Always done it independently in our own car, I would think that a guided tour might be frustratingly slow because it would likely be at the speed of the slowest in the group.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

On 9/28/2023 at 4:44 AM, John Bull said:

I'm surprised that MSM isn't an Oceania tour option, it seems to be such an obvious one.

So keep an eye on their offerings, it may appear and would certainly be cheaper than any private alternatives for just a two-some.

We have already booked this excursion this time next year from Le Havre via Princess and it is an all-day excursion.    It's currently $184PP US and that seems like a fair price to us for such a remarkable site.

Can't wait.

• Like 1

Actually I am giving this cruise as a gift. If I were going myself I would take a car, taxi, or rent a car.  No way my friends can drive. Not sure taxi available on demand from MSM back to ship. Too much could go wrong with bus schedule & transfers. Physically fit, but inexperienced. I want to make as easy as possible. Again thank you to all for helpful suggestions.