RCL Customer Service/Ethics Have Vanished - Time to make a move

1 minute ago, rockon391 said:

I have literally asked for emails from every person which they refuse to provide. ****** companies don’t like to do anything in writing unless it is at the customer’s expense…

I don’t think you read my post closely enough.  Ask the customer service rep to email the manager.  If I gave out a manager email, our extension I would have been reassigned to breaking rocks. Yes I wrote emails for clients with a CALL BACK number.  OBTW all calls are recorded to protect customer service reps when a customer claims of bad service.  In 12 years I had three of my calls flagged.  This meant my manager and I met to review the call.  End result liar, liar pants on fire.  Like I said I retired but those three clients to this day leave a sour taste in my mouth.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rockon391 said:

Lol. A person posted on the skip port thread that they are on Anthem currently and they stated there are not any propulsion issues on the ship…the lies just continue…

No, the person posted that they were sailing at 19.5 knots and would make their next port on time.  

If and this is just an if, the Anthem was only able to make a speed of 19.5 knots and het original itinerary had called for her to make speeds of 22 knots then that would absolutely affect the itinerary without there being any safety concerns at all.  There are many reasons why a ship may not be able to run at full speed.  Perhaps they need to take one of the 4 engines off line for maintenance, that would certainly affect her top speed and cause the change in itinerary or they just can't maintain as high a speed as they used to.  

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, rockon391 said:

Lol. A person posted on the skip port thread that they are on Anthem currently and they stated there are not any propulsion issues on the ship…the lies just continue…

Is that person someone who would actually be able to tell if there was a propulsion issue? From what little I have seen on the threads here it sounds like it is a high speed propulsion issue, in that the ship is perfectly fine to hit 16-18 knots (guessing...I'm not there to see the screens), vs the 21-22 they need to hit for some of these trips. @chengkp75would know a lot more about this than a landlubber like myself, but they may have an issue limiting power generation and hence cruising speeds. If you can find out what the max speed that person has seen in the app or the screens by the elevators. I'm going to try and pop over to one of the positioning sites to see if I can see her speed and heading there.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No, the person posted that they were sailing at 19.5 knots and would make their next port on time.  

If and this is just an if, the Anthem was only able to make a speed of 19.5 knots and het original itinerary had called for her to make speeds of 22 knots then that would absolutely affect the itinerary without there being any safety concerns at all.  There are many reasons why a ship may not be able to run at full speed.  Perhaps they need to take one of the 4 engines off line for maintenance, that would certainly affect her top speed and cause the change in itinerary or they just can't maintain as high a speed as they used to.  

I still have not had a call back, but they stated to me that it was because of safety concerns. Either way between the other thread and my multiple responses from different RCL staff members, they are lying about something.

49 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

You are missing the point.  The point is not about weather.  It is about your cruise contract .  If you read your contract, the cruiseline can change the itinerary…pretty much any time for any reason.   If you switch cruiselines, you’ll still have the same issue…potential itinerary change, any time, any reason.  If you quit Royal over this be prepared to quit cruising altogether; the other cruiselines would do the same thing to you.

I think it is the issue of being lied to that really gets people fired up. If you are going to be a liar you need to be really good at it. This particular lie is pretty much treating the OP like a simpleton.

• Like 6

Compensation

While your clients still get to enjoy their day onboard Anthem of the Seas, to help make up for the missed port, we will provide you with a one-day (1) cruise fare refund in the form of an Onboard Credit. This will automatically be added to your SeaPass account on boarding day. Any unused portion will be refunded to your credit card associated with your onboard folio.

For more context, one of the ship's four engines requires maintenance which impacts our speed. While this impacts our ability to deliver on the original itinerary, we're confident that it will still be an exceptional cruise vacation.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Compensation

While your clients still get to enjoy their day onboard Anthem of the Seas, to help make up for the missed port, we will provide you with a one-day (1) cruise fare refund in the form of an Onboard Credit. This will automatically be added to your SeaPass account on boarding day. Any unused portion will be refunded to your credit card associated with your onboard folio.

For more context, one of the ship's four engines requires maintenance which impacts our speed. While this impacts our ability to deliver on the original itinerary, we're confident that it will still be an exceptional cruise vacation.

I would be quite satisfied with this.  We have missed ports in the past and gotten a refund of port charges or nothing.  

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Compensation

Hahahaaaaa. Had they done ANYTHING when I contacted them, this thread would not be up!!!!!!! I still have not received an e-mail by the way. 

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think it is the issue of being lied to that really gets people fired up. If you are going to be a liar you need to be really good at it. This particular lie is pretty much treating the OP like a simpleton.

The problem is that individuals (csr's and supervisors and even front line managers) make stuff up.  When they don't know the answer many times they just come up with something that is plausable knowing that the customer doesn't know or they wouldn't be calling.  They just want them off the phone.  It's not just a problem that Royal faces.

In this case they gave the wrong answer which made things worse instead of finding out the correct answer (taking an engine offline)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Is that person someone who would actually be able to tell if there was a propulsion issue? From what little I have seen on the threads here it sounds like it is a high speed propulsion issue, in that the ship is perfectly fine to hit 16-18 knots (guessing...I'm not there to see the screens), vs the 21-22 they need to hit for some of these trips. @chengkp75would know a lot more about this than a landlubber like myself, but they may have an issue limiting power generation and hence cruising speeds. If you can find out what the max speed that person has seen in the app or the screens by the elevators. I'm going to try and pop over to one of the positioning sites to see if I can see her speed and heading there.

During my final contract with Royal, on Oasis of the Seas, the ship was down an engine the entire 6 months I was there.  This limits top speed and I suspect there could be something similar going on here.  There is no easy fix for this.  It's a drydock and cutting a hole in the side of the ship to swap an engine.

Ships sailing to the Caribbean from Bayonne have to get up to 22-23 knots down the coast to make that first port on time, and likewise getting back. This is only achieved with all engines running at full speed and it even limits their ability to use the stabilizers.  A bit of a risk with this home port unfortunately.

Edited by compuryan
  • Like 14

7 minutes ago, compuryan said:

During my final contract with Royal, on Oasis of the Seas, the ship was down an engine the entire 6 months I was there.  This limits top speed and I suspect there could be something similar going on here.  There is no easy fix for this.  It's a drydock and cutting a hole in the side of the ship to swap an engine.

@Ourusualbeachhas confirmed it is an engine issue. Even from PC, PE, and POM some of the runs down to the eastern Caribbean they are pushing 22 knots. It takes quite a bit more juice to do 22 vs 18 knots. As you said, one engine being down explains it all.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The problem is that individuals (csr's and supervisors and even front line managers) make stuff up.  When they don't know the answer many times they just come up with something that is plausable knowing that the customer doesn't know or they wouldn't be calling.  They just want them off the phone.  It's not just a problem that Royal faces.

In this case they gave the wrong answer which made things worse instead of finding out the correct answer (taking an engine offline)

As a retired customer service representative and your above statement I wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

1 hour ago, ATG said:

I would be quite satisfied with this.  We have missed ports in the past and gotten a refund of port charges or nothing.  

I too would be satisfied…..we have never received this compensation for a missed port, not that I expected any….the only time we received a credit for a day was on Wonder this past January when the ship was delayed returning and we ended up with a 6 day instead of 7 day cruise…

and also note that those onboard were not charged for that extra day.

• Like 1

We were notified in March of this year that the time in some ports for the October 2023 Anthem TA were modified in order "to maintain a safe and comfortable speed."  I appreciated the advance notice.

Is there a reason why Royal didn't think speed would be an issue for subsequent cruises down the East Coast?  Were they hoping that the issue would have been resolved by then?

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Wait, aren’t you the OP?   Or are you using two screen names to post here?

I didn't understand that either.  I went back at looked at OP and was on the first page.  

Edited by moposh

11 minutes ago, splashsmom said:

We were notified in March of this year that the time in some ports for the October 2023 Anthem TA were modified in order "to maintain a safe and comfortable speed."  I appreciated the advance notice.

Is there a reason why Royal didn't think speed would be an issue for subsequent cruises down the East Coast?  Were they hoping that the issue would have been resolved by then?

We also received this and are really looking forward to our Anthem TA in October.

• Like 1