Too old to cut the mustard anymore :)

cruiseorcamp

7 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

It is a form or discrimination, generally justified under the “safety” umbrella.

It’s a foundational prudent business practice to, among other things, properly insure yourself and your business.  If the vendors don’t have insurance coverage over a certain group, they can’t be forced to operate without needed protection.

Isn’t it discriminatory to say a child has to be a certain height to enjoy certain rides at a fair?  Or is discrimination trumped by safety concerns?

Isn’t it discriminatory to require seniors to take a current driving test to  renew a drivers license?  Safety again.

Insurance coverages are generated by massive risk calculators.  For an insurance policy to not cover groups or strata means previous claims numbers have caused it.

Now if it were do to vendors saying, “the old farts move too slowly when loading and unloading, so I don’t want them on my vehicle,” that would be a purer discrimination.  But I doubt that in these cases as the more people herded in the more money they make.

Eddie

There is a difference.Making the assumption that a person who is 70 years old cannot do something that a younger person can should not fall into that criteria.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a difference.Making the assumption that a person who is 70 years old cannot do something that a younger person can should not fall into that criteria.

I agree it is different and not right in all cases, but Insurance companies don’t look at individuals, they look at groups.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That's not the assumption. There's a whole science dedicated to risk and liability. For the given scenario, maybe 70 is the age that the odds of there being an issue start to be too much for an insurance company to want to cover patrons of that age.

• Thanks 2

How is a business to know if you or anybody else are capable of doing the minimum physical requirements of a certain activity?  As I said earlier, I feel, at age 72, capable of doing just about anything that Royal's excursions offer.  Is the business supposed to just believe you/me or should they go by the advice or requirements of their insurance company(ies)?  Companies that have done their due diligence in formulating such advice/requirements. 

And surely people understand that businesses can't do a physical assessment test of those old folks who swear that they are capable of doing this, that, or the other thing.  Even if the business is willing to do it, who pays for it?  I'm sure it ain't cheap.  

No, let businesses do their risk management, as long as it isn't done for nefarious reasons.  Remember, Royal and other businesses are in the business of making money, not turning away paying customers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Me and my husband are in our mid 70's.  He is very fit.  Me, not so much.  Last year we were on another cruise line and decided to try the UTV excursion in Aruba because we had plenty of OBC to cover it.  There was no age or weight limit but they did make us sign waivers to cover their a$$'s.  It was a once in a lifetime grueling excursion but I would never do it again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Agreed.  We live in a 55+ community and the number of people in their 70's that hike, bike, play tennis, pickleball, run and are in the gym is very high.  I'm only limited due to a knee injury from a few years ago that means I have to stick to walking, swimming and the gym.  I'm 63 and know I can't do some things but it's not due to my age.  My 66 yr old DH walks 5 or 6 miles several days a week. There are people in their 30's who can't do some of these things either due to sedentary lifestyle, size or disability but to discriminate solely on age is unfair to those that can actually do more. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

How is a business to know if you or anybody else are capable of doing the minimum physical requirements of a certain activity?  As I said earlier, I feel, at age 72, capable of doing just about anything that Royal's excursions offer.  Is the business supposed to just believe you/me or should they go by the advice or requirements of their insurance company(ies)?  Companies that have done their due diligence in formulating such advice/requirements. 

And surely people understand that businesses can't do a physical assessment test of those old folks who swear that they are capable of doing this, that, or the other thing.  Even if the business is willing to do it, who pays for it?  I'm sure it ain't cheap.  

No, let businesses do their risk management, as long as it isn't done for nefarious reasons.  Remember, Royal and other businesses are in the business of making money, not turning away paying customers.  

Who is not in business to make money ?

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

No; there are weight limits, there are height tall/short limits, pilots must retire at 65, and there are age young/old limits all over society.

I can understand certain occupations such as pilots having age limits but that should not be the norm for all jobs.

2 hours ago, BND said:

Agreed.  We live in a 55+ community and the number of people in their 70's that hike, bike, play tennis, pickleball, run and are in the gym is very high.  I'm only limited due to a knee injury from a few years ago that means I have to stick to walking, swimming and the gym.  I'm 63 and know I can't do some things but it's not due to my age.  My 66 yr old DH walks 5 or 6 miles several days a week. There are people in their 30's who can't do some of these things either due to sedentary lifestyle, size or disability but to discriminate solely on age is unfair to those that can actually do more. 

I am in my 80’s.When I was young I cannot recall many people living past 60.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:32 AM, cruiseorcamp said:

So I have posted this on RCCL as that is our upcoming cruise.

However, has anyone been denied shore excursions due to their age?

I understand that there are certain types of activities that might not work for disabled folks, but we have been denied 2 or 3 excursions at Cozumel port.  Over 70.

This will probably be our last trip there and wanted to do something fun.

Thank you.

Just as long as you're not cutting the cheese. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Making the assumption that a person who is 70 years old cannot do something that a younger person can should not fall into that criteria.

It's just not feasible (financially or timewise) to require a proficiency demonstration for every individual that wishes to undertake certain physically taxing excursions---parameters have to be established (age, weight, height, etc.).  Go to the zip lines onboard the ships and complain about how they discriminate against the obese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It's just not feasible (financially or timewise) to require a proficiency demonstration for every individual that wishes to undertake certain physically taxing excursions---parameters have to be established (age, weight, height, etc.).  Go to the zip lines onboard the ships and complain about how they discriminate against the obese.

People get old ,that cannot be changed.Being obese can be changed.I was an obese teenager.I lost 66 pounds and never gained the weight back.

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2023 at 10:32 AM, cruiseorcamp said:

So I have posted this on RCCL as that is our upcoming cruise.

However, has anyone been denied shore excursions due to their age?

I understand that there are certain types of activities that might not work for disabled folks, but we have been denied 2 or 3 excursions at Cozumel port.  Over 70.

This will probably be our last trip there and wanted to do something fun.

Thank you.

What exactly is it you are wanting to do? There probably are private folks that will come thru for you. Cozumel is a great place to do a private excursion.