OBC Carnival

I have been reading conflicting reports on using OBC on Carnival before a cruise.  On my online planner I can book speciality dinning by placing in the cart. Can I use my OBC before the cruise and before full payment ? Some reports say they will give you the option to use your obc when you place order in the cart and others report that it has been taken from a credit card and others say it was taken from a credit card but then refunded once you have dined. I thought maybe someone who has had experience in this matter could enlighten me.

Cheers John.

7 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

I have been reading conflicting reports on using OBC on Carnival before a cruise.  On my online planner I can book speciality dinning by placing in the cart. Can I use my OBC before the cruise and before full payment ? Some reports say they will give you the option to use your obc when you place order in the cart and others report that it has been taken from a credit card and others say it was taken from a credit card but then refunded once you have dined. I thought maybe someone who has had experience in this matter could enlighten me.

Cheers John.

Hi John,

Prior to final payment on an upcoming Splendor cruise, I have been able to use OBC to purchase Fahrenheit555 dining plus internet packages. We did have $550 OBC, and that has reduced in line with those reservations. They don't have my credit card number.

I am going to pre-purchase a Build a Bear session tomorrow with OBC, so I can screenshot each step.

Edited by arxcards
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

Hi John,

Prior to final payment on an upcoming Splendor cruise, I have been able to use OBC to purchase Fahrenheit555 dining plus internet packages. We did have $550 OBC, and that has reduced in line with those reservations. They don't have my credit card number.

I am going to pre-purchase a Build a Bear session tomorrow with OBC, so I can screenshot each step.

Thanks for that…I want to use my OBC for the internet before the price goes up.

Eileen

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Hi John,

Thanks Geoff.  That is good to know we have $700 OBC that we have a 7 day cruise to use it on.It is from an earlier cruise that carnival cancelled and offered us if we rebooked in a certain time. I am surprised that some shore excursions are already sold out even though our cruise on the Luminosa is not until Feb 2024. Looking at the cost of the shore excursions the OBC would soon be gone. 

Cheers John.

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

Thanks Geoff.  That is good to know we have $700 OBC that we have a 7 day cruise to use it on.It is from an earlier cruise that carnival cancelled and offered us if we rebooked in a certain time. I am surprised that some shore excursions are already sold out even though our cruise on the Luminosa is not until Feb 2024. Looking at the cost of the shore excursions the OBC would soon be gone. 

Cheers John.

Ours stems from a cancellation in 2020 on Spirit, then through 2 additional cancellations. $550 OBC is a lot for a 3 night cruise, but we will find a way to spend it.

I just went in to order a Build a Bear with OBC. Alas, that is a "cruise cash" item, and can't be pre-purchased with OBC. Having variables like that adds to the confusion you mentioned. I also can't be 100% sure about tours, as our only listed tour is "Faster to the Fun" but that "tour" can be pre-booked with OBC.

We are already booked in the Steakhouse so I went in and did a dummy booking for another night, but didn't lock it in. Having already booked steakhouse and internet with OBC, those are listed on the "Booking & Order Detail" page. To find your OBC balance, click on "View Invoice Details" a bit higher on the page.

CarnivalOBC1.jpg.dc1f94827282916961ed5a695f93248a.jpg

-----

CarnivalOBC2.jpg.031e6f3886adaad1f290cc9f04530898.jpg

Pick your items, and go to your cart.

CarnivalOBC4.thumb.jpg.a2b45e92cdc24a4415af46c4a66cee8d.jpg

When you "Proceed to Payment", you will get this message to apply OBC to your purchase. The phone number format is tricky, and my PC wanted to autofill in the wrong format. Needs to be in (xxx) xxx-xxxx format

CarnivalOBC5.thumb.jpg.9669f95f167c919c28018ab9dd649e6f.jpg

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Ours stems from a cancellation in 2020 on Spirit, then through 2 additional cancellations. $550 OBC is a lot for a 3 night cruise, but we will find a way to spend it.

I just went in to order a Build a Bear with OBC. Alas, that is a "cruise cash" item, and can't be pre-purchased with OBC. Having variables like that adds to the confusion you mentioned. I also can't be 100% sure about tours, as our only listed tour is "Faster to the Fun" but that "tour" can be pre-booked with OBC.

We are already booked in the Steakhouse so I went in and did a dummy booking for another night, but didn't lock it in. Having already booked steakhouse and internet with OBC, those are listed on the "Booking & Order Detail" page. To find your OBC balance, click on "View Invoice Details" a bit higher on the page.

-----

When you "Proceed to Payment", you will get this message to apply OBC to your purchase. The phone number format is tricky, and my PC wanted to autofill in the wrong format. Needs to be in (xxx) xxx-xxxx format

Thanks Geoff, very helpful.👍 Our OBC was also from the cancelled Spirit cruise had to wait ages before they announced the replacement Luminosa. Gee this forum and you guys are such a big help thank you.

Cheers John.

Edited by JohnGc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

-----

Hi Geoff,

thanks for all your advice and help.   I am Having trouble with the phone number.  Have tried a variation of my mobile but it does not seem to like it at all.  It keeps putting in +61 but that does not leave enough room for the other numbers.  Any further advice,   Want to do the internet before the price goes up.

thanks Eileen

2 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi Geoff,

thanks for all your advice and help.   I am Having trouble with the phone number.  Have tried a variation of my mobile but it does not seem to like it at all.  It keeps putting in +61 but that does not leave enough room for the other numbers.  Any further advice,   Want to do the internet before the price goes up.

thanks Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I was able to delete the number from the field and just typed it in as (043) 2xx-xxxx. It needs the space between the ) and the 2. I had a few false starts before I found something it was happy with - very annoying part of an otherwise easy enough system. Good Luck!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Hi Eileen,

I was able to delete the number from the field and just typed it in as (043) 2xx-xxxx. It needs the space between the ) and the 2. I had a few false starts before I found something it was happy with - very annoying part of an otherwise easy enough system. Good Luck!

I found when I took my VPN security off it worked.  Thanks for your help.

Eileen

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

I just went in to order a Build a Bear with OBC. Alas, that is a "cruise cash" item, and can't be pre-purchased with OBC. Having variables like that adds to the confusion you mentioned. 

That's probably because Build a Bear isn't run by Carnival, they just lease space to the Build a Bear company.

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's probably because Build a Bear isn't run by Carnival, they just lease space to the Build a Bear company.

The shore tours aren't run by Carnival either, where they are not much more than exclusive booking agents.

I see it as a moot point either way - we can use the very same OBC to pay for the bear after we board.

2 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

I was able to use some OBC to pre-book a Noumea Shore Excursion for our NYE Luminosa cruise. I then went back in to my booking and checked and it had removed the exact $ amount from the OBC that was left. 

It worked for me, I have now booked the dining using some OBC so all good. Our cruise on the Luminosa is Feb 2024 Barrier Reef. Looking forward to our first cruise with Carnival after many cruises on other lines. I have been told to take my sunglasses to wear onboard when inside 😁 I have a feeling it is going to be very interesting as my last cruise was on the more modern Ovation. 

Cheers John.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Good stuff, we had OBC on a cruise next month which was used for booking dining, shorex and drink packages. Unfortunately we had to cancel the cruise, but using OBC was certainly possible 

I was going to put a like on your post then I thought I like that you can use your OBC, I don't like that you cant go on the cruise ( shame ) how you going by the way with the Achilles rupture any improvement or to early to say yet ?

Cheers John.

• Like 1

Cheers, it is still too early, I see the orthopaedic registrar on Thursday for the answers and next steps.

The cruise we had on Carnival Magic had $1000 USD OBC as we had a covid cancellation and took the obc instead of the refund. Now the cruise cost will likely be covered by insurance but the obc 8s gone.

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers, it is still too early, I see the orthopaedic registrar on Thursday for the answers and next steps.

Good luck for Thursday Mic. Hope you receive good news. Pity about the OBC. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...