10/2/23: Princess Cruises Introduces Expansive Vegan Menus For Plant-Based Cruisers

LACruiser88

I have just come off the Grand today, and was a bit disappointed in the vegetarian options.  There was hardly anything in the Horizon, and even though they were attentive to my needs in the MDR there wasn't much either.  Hopefully the rollout continues to the Grand too.  

Karen, I’m not on the ship. 

The broccoli salad and penne with red pepper pesto sound good. I *might* be getting a pic of the Mumbai Frankie Wraps, which…I can’t imagine. 

ETA:  here’s the Frankie wraps. I think I’d pass on this one. 

IMG_1429.jpeg

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Thanks 1

I'm up for trying all of it, though ordering every course would be too much food for me.  Are they doing any desserts?  We're on the Discovery on the 4th and I asked if they had rolled out the menu yet and got an affirmative.  It will be good to give feedback.

I disembarked the Crown this morning and enjoyed the vegan menu three nights in the MDR. Most of the dishes were good! In fact, even better than I had anticipated. There was only one soup that I didn't eat. This is definitely a game changer for those who eat plant based/vegan!

They have not come up with desserts, however. One night, our server "found" a vegan chocolate mousse which was divine, but other than that there is nothing for us. Sorry, I don't count fruit as dessert. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 2:42 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Karen, I’m not on the ship. 

The broccoli salad and penne with red pepper pesto sound good. I *might* be getting a pic of the Mumbai Frankie Wraps, which…I can’t imagine. 

ETA:  here’s the Frankie wraps. I think I’d pass on this one. 

IMG_1429.jpeg

It was ok. Basically tasted like some kind of Indian dish with tortillas. Kind of dry. Not inedible but not wonderful either. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

IMG_1426.jpeg

Broccoli salad was great, didn't have the soup, the penne was delicious, the portobellos really good.

Another night they had a mushroom bourgignon (sp?) over mashed potatoes. Really good! Also a veggie lasagna which was pretty good.

The winner of them all was the veggie shepherd's pie! Oh and the marinated tofu salad - they did a great job on the marinade.

Edited by Napagirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Napagirl said:

Broccoli salad was great, didn't have the soup, the penne was delicious, the portobellos really good.

Another night they had a mushroom bourgignon (sp?) over mashed potatoes. Really good! Also a veggie lasagna which was pretty good.

The winner of them all was the veggie shepherd's pie! Oh and the marinated tofu salad - they did a great job on the marinade.

YUM 🙂  I will plan on going to the dining room just to try the menu.  I hope they have some selections on the buffet too as I'm traveling solo this time and I usually don't go to the dining room when I travel alone.  Maybe they can give me to go!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It would be great if they added some of the vegan items to the Room Service menu. I would really love some vegan Dole Whip on the Lido deck. If anyone here has any friends in higher places, please ask them for Dole Whip. 😊

I’m not sure they still have a club sandwich on the room service menu but in the past we’ve ordered the club sandwich and told them to hold the Mayo and the meat. So you basically get tomato and lettuce on toast. Not gourmet but at least a little something. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Napagirl said:

I disembarked the Crown this morning and enjoyed the vegan menu three nights in the MDR. Most of the dishes were good! In fact, even better than I had anticipated. There was only one soup that I didn't eat. This is definitely a game changer for those who eat plant based/vegan!

They have not come up with desserts, however. One night, our server "found" a vegan chocolate mousse which was divine, but other than that there is nothing for us. Sorry, I don't count fruit as dessert. lol

Sorbet?

21 hours ago, fabby50 said:

YUM 🙂  I will plan on going to the dining room just to try the menu.  I hope they have some selections on the buffet too as I'm traveling solo this time and I usually don't go to the dining room when I travel alone.  Maybe they can give me to go!

There were options in the buffet as well. They even had a section labeled vegan! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It would be great if they added some of the vegan items to the Room Service menu. I would really love some vegan Dole Whip on the Lido deck. If anyone here has any friends in higher places, please ask them for Dole Whip. 😊

There was a veggie burger (hopefully vegan but I didn't ask lol), vegan chili and fries on the room service menu. Also veggies and hummus but we paid extra for that.

12 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

IMG_1489.jpeg

I had all of these except the soup. After getting soup on the first night (looked like hot water with celery, onions and peas - not good haha) I just stopped ordering soup. And it's so much food, I really didn't need every course. The rest on this menu was delicious! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Napagirl said:

There was a veggie burger (hopefully vegan but I didn't ask lol), vegan chili and fries on the room service menu. Also veggies and hummus but we paid extra for that.

Vegan chili and fries sounds really good. How was the veggie burger and the hummus? Thank you!

We should all start requesting Dole Whip.  I just had some at the Bellagio buffet and it was delicious. I love that stuff!

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Vegan chili and fries sounds really good. How was the veggie burger and the hummus? Thank you!

We should all start requesting Dole Whip.  I just had some at the Bellagio buffet and it was delicious. I love that stuff!

Unless they've changed the veggie burger since my last cruise in May, it's the worst thing I've ever eaten on a cruise ship.  It's basically a mashed potato patty with some other chopped vegetables in it, and it's always been cold.  I asked about a Boca or other similar burger and they didn't carry them.  I doubt if they'll ever get "official" Dole Whip since it's a branded product, maybe some shipboard version, or I think they have sorbet at the gelato station, I'll be looking for it on my cruise (leave on the 4th).  It's just pineapple sorbet, put through a soft serve machine.

Edited by fabby50
update
  • Like 1