First Time Princess Random Questions

Generator515

Headed in July on the Ruby to Alaska for my first time ever on Princess with two kids and my wife and had a couple random questions was hoping for some info on:

1) any advantage to purchasing excursions through Princess? There is one we’d like to do it is cheaper through operator (with little risk of missing sail away outside the excursion sinking). Suppose one thing that I think of is if Princess quarantines us (COVID, noro, etc) would they refund excursion?

2) we purchased the plus package. With two younger kids there isn’t much on the salty dog menu. Could wife and I do the casual dining with them ordering off the standard kids menu? If we did would they still hit us with the cover charge?

3) also along the lines of above if we used one of the meals at vines do we both need to order the huge board of cold cuts or could one order and we both (and kids) pick at it during a lunch at sea for instance. 

4) any idea what the photo package costs for the week? This is the big draw of the premier package but doesn’t seem worth the $280 we’d be hit for to upgrade. 

5) do they do MUTS on Alaska sailings?

thanks in advance 

#1 the true advantage booking with Princess,  is they won't leave you. But thay being said we have booked outside the cruise line and have never had any problems.  I can say we did an excursion in Belize through the cruise line, my daughter had booked independently, same excursion, and hers was way smaller, they got there before us and was done before we even arrived.  As we were setting in the theater with all other passengers waiting to be called. 

Sorry I can't answer the other ?, as I've never booked packages. 

Love small group tours…Harv and Marc whale watching in Juneau was amazing and worth every penny, we were lucky enough to watch a mother teach her baby to breach…other family members went on a ship tour and saw almost none, the smaller operators are better able to get out and look for them, I would highly recommend for Juneau.

island Wings Bear Watching at Anan was just a once in a lifetime tour. I can’t even use words to describe the flight, landing on the water and hike into the feeding area. I had in my head that I would be happy with one or two bears but we saw easily a dozen, mother and two cubs, bald eagles….just incredible. SUPER pricey  but amazing.

I think so highly of these two tours I just had to add 🙂

Three movies a day (morning, afternoon and night) on my Sapphire sailing to Alaska.

We book through the cruise line and independent.  You can probably figure out whether there’s much risk of missing the ship depending on the excursion.  Some are the same but you pay less booking directly.  Example: Great Alaskan Lumberjack show was $3 less at the door with no risk of missing the ship barring a chainsaw accident.

#2. So you are aware. There is the Salty Dog Gastropub inside the Wheelhouse Bar and the Salty Dog Grill on the Lido deck. The Gastropub is the casual dining restaurant. The grill has burgers, dogs, fries maybe some other items at no charge from 11am until mid evening every day. Just walk up and order. The gastropub waiters may not have access to the children's DR menu. You could ask. You may be able to order something on the Ocean Now app and it would be delivered to your location in the Wheelhouse Bar. If your children are old enough then they could be at the youth center while you are enjoying a meal. 

Alaska is a really reliable place to do your own excursions. We almost never do the ship excursions on our Alaska cruises anymore because we find independent tours so superior in terms of experience, flexibility and personalization. I'm not a big fan of crowded bus tours or the limitations that often come along with ship tours. Since most private tour vendors in Alaska really cater to cruise ship passengers, their businesses rely on them making sure people get back on time to board their ship and they take that very seriously. We have never had one instance where we were even the slightest bit worried about making it back in time. There are so many great tours and vendors in Alaska and so many easy ways to "do it yourself" there that you can do so with confidence

• Like 1

thanks everyone. Appreciate the replies. Leaning to doing excursions on my own but did have one follow up. 

are the times for the excursions generally accurate 9 months in advance or do they adjust?

for reference looking at one that says it runs from 1030-130 but the operator says the tour runs either 8-11 or 12-3 which makes sense since other ships are in port earlier (I.e when I say I am arriving carnival spirit it tells me book the 8 but the Ruby book the 12). I know there can’t be a 1030 as only one vessel for the excursion. 

Reputable tour companies will offer a refund if your ship misses a port and should be quick to give you an answer about having to cancel due to illness. They also offer the same guarantee to get you to the next port as Princess does if you are so delayed that they have to sail without you. 

I consider how far I am traveling from the port, where the next port is, and whether it’s easy and safe to get to the meeting point when I book privately.

For example, flying for a multi night trip to another country would be something so complicated that I’d only do as a ship excursion. Most things in Alaska are perfectly reasonable to book privately 

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:26 AM, Generator515 said:

Headed in July on the Ruby to Alaska for my first time ever on Princess with two kids and my wife and had a couple random questions was hoping for some info on:

1) any advantage to purchasing excursions through Princess? There is one we’d like to do it is cheaper through operator (with little risk of missing sail away outside the excursion sinking). Suppose one thing that I think of is if Princess quarantines us (COVID, noro, etc) would they refund excursion? 

2) we purchased the plus package. With two younger kids there isn’t much on the salty dog menu. Could wife and I do the casual dining with them ordering off the standard kids menu? If we did would they still hit us with the cover charge?

3) also along the lines of above if we used one of the meals at vines do we both need to order the huge board of cold cuts or could one order and we both (and kids) pick at it during a lunch at sea for instance. 

4) any idea what the photo package costs for the week? This is the big draw of the premier package but doesn’t seem worth the $280 we’d be hit for to upgrade. 

5) do they do MUTS on Alaska sailings?

thanks in advance 

1) Princess will refund if they quarantine you

2) The kids can order (and be charged) separately 

3) This seems to vary ship by ship

4) All-you-can-get photo package has only been available with Premier package so far, but you can order individual prints with digital copy and 3 or 5 prints with digital download at a discount.

5) Yes

2 hours ago, Generator515 said:

thanks everyone. Appreciate the replies. Leaning to doing excursions on my own but did have one follow up. 

are the times for the excursions generally accurate 9 months in advance or do they adjust?

for reference looking at one that says it runs from 1030-130 but the operator says the tour runs either 8-11 or 12-3 which makes sense since other ships are in port earlier (I.e when I say I am arriving carnival spirit it tells me book the 8 but the Ruby book the 12). I know there can’t be a 1030 as only one vessel for the excursion. 

I think the times vary in accuracy. We booked whale watching privately with Jayleen’s Alaska and were able to choose the time we wanted to go as we were the first to book for that day. Her boats only take 6 people and we had a fantastic experience. I can’t recommend them highly enough 

https://jayleensalaska.com/

On 10/2/2023 at 2:38 PM, BamaVol said:

Some are the same but you pay less booking directly.  Example: Great Alaskan Lumberjack show was $3 less at the door with no risk of missing the ship barring a chainsaw accident.

This is one of the excursions one may consider booking through the ship if the $3 pp is not a big deal. We did it as a walk-in. They did not guarantee a spot under cover (we lucked out as there were only 2 of us) for walk-ins, which can be an issue if raining that day. Also were left standing waiting while all the cruise ship booked passengers were seated. They ended up pulling out temporary stands for the extra walk-ins. Not sure if the waiting/no cover would be an issue if booked ahead through the web-site. There were 3 ships in port that day (Crown Princess, Radiance, and NCL Jewel). 

• Like 1