Crystal caves in Bermuda

Tidra00

Hi, my family and I booked the January 2nd 10 day cruise departing NY on the Getaway. We will be in Bermuda on day 8 and 9. We wanted to visit the caves on day 8 but the boat arrives at 2pm and I don’t think we have time to do this. I would like to know how much time it takes to get there and back. Since the boat departs the next day at 4, it does not give us much time to visit the caves. Too bad it arrives so late on day 8.

Edited by Tidra00

We have visited the caves on our own and it is about an hour to hour and a half from the Dockyards via ferry to Hamilton and then bus to the caves.  This is dependent on timing between the two transportations and could be longer.  The bus schedule is more frequent than the ferry so we time it based on the ferry.  The caves require an hour or two based on their tour schedule.  So I would plan on 5 - 6 hours total and would think the departure day with an early AM ferry would work fine.  Just be sure of the return ferry times.  You can also take the bus the whole route as an option but that is typically longer.

At the entrance to the caves, which is adjacent to the bus stop, is Baileys Ice Cream Parlour and across the street is the Swizzle Inn and Pub - both good stops if time allows.

The other option would be to see what ship sponsored tour would be available.  Clearly they would have that timed appropriately to assure no issues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

10 hours ago, Tidra00 said:

Hi, my family and I booked the January 2nd 10 day cruise departing NY on the Getaway. We will be in Bermuda on day 8 and 9. We wanted to visit the caves on day 8 but the boat arrives at 2pm and I don’t think we have time to do this. I would like to know how much time it takes to get there and back. Since the boat departs the next day at 4, it does not give us much time to visit the caves. Too bad it arrives so late on day 8.

Hello @Tidra00  and welcome to the Cruise Critic message board!

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific Port Of Call and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your new topic to the Ports of Call - Bermuda forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been thre frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will reply to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

To find your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you, you need to post on the Roll Call thread for your specific line, ship and sail date. Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the GuidelinesWe also have the following Cruise Critic article you might enjoy8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

The specific Roll Call thread for your cruise is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted private share requests that may interest you.

Click here for your Roll Call thread: January 2, 2024 NCL Getaway 10 Day Bermuda & Turks and Caicos Round Trip New York

And yes, the itinerary changed from when the thread first started.

Read through the whole thread to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you. Then use the blue Reply to this topic button to post an introductory post about yourself on the Roll Call. If you want to address a particular post already in the thread, be sure to use the Quote feature on that post as I did yours so all will be aware of what your post concerns. You then type your reply UNDER the light blue quote box then click the blue Submit Reply button.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! Make YOUR voice heard. Your honest cruise review will influence next year's Cruisers' Choice award winners and help others choose the right sailing. See How To: Submit a Member Review.

Whenever you need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message boards, check out the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum first. Note the large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. Again, you will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on the message boards. We are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Fastest way to the caves is by taxi from the Dockyard ( about 45 minutes and expect around $70 )

Less expensive is ferry to Hamilton and taxi to caves ( around 1h of travel time )

If time is the most important thing here, I would ( and will in January ) hire a taxi driver for a 4 hour tour and I will ask him to drive us directly to the caves as soon as the ship docks. I will have him wait for us ( the Crystal cave takes about 35 minutes if no line to acces it ) at the cave, then take about 2h to drive back to the Dockyard and doing some sightseeing on the way.

Yes it will be more expensive, but I will be sure to do the roundtrip in 4h.

• Like 2

A few years ago, the folks at the Caves advised us that if we were going to see them on our own, to be sure we had a reservation. They said the cruise lines book up available slots, and if you go out there without a reservation, you may be out of luck. 

Unfortunately, the travel distance from the Dockyard and a ship’s schedule might make seeing the Caves via a ship’s tour advisable (as unnecessary as that otherwise would be).

I just did this and with your time constraints I would recommend book thru the cruise ship if you don't want to worry about anything and your nerves are bad. Hire a taxi if you can manage your time and money isn't a problem. 

• Like 1