A happy thread on smaller ships re bigger ships

We all know many people prefer smaller ships to the bigger ships

More intimate cruises etc

Whereas some love the bigger ships

I'm wondering if a lot of the positivity from smaller ships is having less venues and options to dine and drink in etc means less things can possibly not go to plan

Sometime small and simple is better than big and complex. Jack of all trades. Master of none etc.

What people lose in choice on smaller ships they may gain in quality and consistency etc

What people gain in choice in bigger ships may lead to more things that can go wrong and more inconsistency

And if people like what they get already on smaller ships they don't need the complications that bigger ships bring

It all makes sense I think

With more choice comes more chance to find things you don't like. 

With less choice less can go wrong. Not having a skydome for example means nothing is there to complain about.

Doesnt mean either is better tbh. But just an observation.

Maybe this can be a happy thread where people say what they like about their favourite type of cruise ships and holidays rather than  highlight the problems with them

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 5

• Interestedcruisefan changed the title to A happy thread on smaller ships re bigger ships

Don't see how it can be a happy thread when you've set it up as an adversarial one with a big vs small bent. That's just setting up for people to post why their choice is better than the other choice.

They are just cruise ships with varied dining, entertainment, shopping, etc options. All cruise ships are different. I don't see the need to make the distinction, you choose the ship that meets your needs and desires, whether that ends up being big or small (which I don't even know what the definition of that is) what does it matter, as long as you personally are happy with your choice. 

Edited by defbref
  • Like 14

Whether more things go wrong or not is not dependent on how big a ship is or the number of venues it has. Any cruise ship should be able to manage with what it aims to deliver and not adversely affect a passengers cruise experience with any failings.

Whether you like big or smaller cruise ships is down to personal choice, and it rests on far more than dining options and venues to visit. For me personally, how a ship feels and looks is just of greater importance to everything else. Everyone's choice should be accepted.

As others have said, I feel this thread will turn into the defence of Arvia and Iona.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 3

We will find out in two weeks time when we sail on Arcadia for the first time.  Previously cruised on Azura, Ventura, Britannia, Iona, Regal Princess and Enchanted Princess.  All obviously larger and multi generation.

We are going as the same family group that went on Iona together last year, and everyone enjoyed the ship and the multiple venues etc.  We will find out soon enough how we all feel about the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, defbref said:

Don't see how it can be a happy thread when you've set it up as an adversarial one with a big vs small bent. That's just setting up for people to post why their choice is better than the other choice.

They are just cruise ships with varied dining, entertainment, shopping, etc options. All cruise ships are different. I don't see the need to make the distinction, you choose the ship that meets your needs and desires, whether that ends up being big or small (which I don't even know what the definition of that is) what does it matter, as long as you personally are happy with your choice. 

It's supposed to be for people to say good stuff about small, big or both. But avoid negatives on either. Not adversarial at all. Too much of that elsewhere. 

Personally I've enjoyed every cruise I've ever had. Smallest one would be on a RCL cruise from Dubai which was only a 2,500 ish size ship

I can always find good stuff to do, great food to eat and good places on the ships. 

Yes I love the extra options on the big ships but don't use everything I just gravitate to the places I like

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Some venue  options regardless of ship size are not always used but we research our

options before booking any ship .Last ship we used only carries just over 2K Pax .

We had options of things like rib eye steak in the buffet or even a nice meal for two

served on our balcony , without putting our hands in our pocket .

Relaxing and personal just what we wanted .

As another poster wisely posted .." you choose the ship that meets your needs and desires, whether that ends up being big or small ..As long as you personally are happy with your choice."

That surely goes for anyone . Forget others choice, enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

Whether more things go wrong or not is not dependent on how big a ship is or the number of venues it has. Any cruise ship should be able to manage with what it aims to deliver and not adversely affect a passengers cruise experience with any failings.

Whether you like big or smaller cruise ships is down to personal choice, and it rests on far more than dining options and venues to visit. For me personally, how a ship feels and looks is just of greater importance to everything else. Everyone's choice should be accepted.

As others have said, I feel this thread will turn into the defence of Arvia and Iona.

We like small ships, but quite like large ships as well. Iona was quite nice, but we won more prizes on Britagne.

• Haha 1

I like the ship I am on at the time be that big or small and we have travelled of a multitude of them. Indeed what is considered “small” now would have been a behemoth in years gone by. All things are relative.

There are aspects of some ships we prefer but on balance we always go with the intent to thoroughly enjoy our cruises.

OH actually prefers the stability of bigger ships as he occasionally gets sea sick (which I seldom if ever do, nothing keeps me from my food).

There is the right ship out there for everyone. It’s just down to personal preference.

• Like 6

I have never sailed on one of P&O's smaller ships, but one of my favourite cruises was with Viking Oceans - lovely ship, good speakers, okay entertainment, excellent food etc (and yes, it does come at a price).  However I won't be doing another small ship, be it Viking or Saga (just under 1000 pax from memory) simply because they are small, and I am not a good sailor!

I was in the theatre on Viking when it hit rough weather, and I 'disgraced' myself.  This is not the first time for me either 🤢 - I have history; Hoverspeed from Dover (aka Mr Toad's Wild ride), Isle of Man ferry and on a cargo ship!  So now, it's big ship, big stabilisers, mid ship cabin, not too high and a good supply of Stugeron. 

Iona coped really well with a named storm when we crossed the BoB on her earlier in the year and the Captain praised how well she handled the conditions.  Despite that, she didn't suit us, so will stick with the large, rather than mega-large ships in future.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have never sailed on one of P&O's smaller ships, but one of my favourite cruises was with Viking Oceans - lovely ship, good speakers, okay entertainment, excellent food etc (and yes, it does come at a price).  However I won't be doing another small ship, be it Viking or Saga (just under 1000 pax from memory) simply because they are small, and I am not a good sailor!

I was in the theatre on Viking when it hit rough weather, and I 'disgraced' myself.  This is not the first time for me either 🤢 - I have history; Hoverspeed from Dover (aka Mr Toad's Wild ride), Isle of Man ferry and on a cargo ship!  So now, it's big ship, big stabilisers, mid ship cabin, not too high and a good supply of Stugeron. 

Iona coped really well with a named storm when we crossed the BoB on her earlier in the year and the Captain praised how well she handled the conditions.  Despite that, she didn't suit us, so will stick with the large, rather than mega-large ships in future.

Your post made me laugh out loud as my OH is exactly the same. He turns Kermit green and heads for bed if things get rough clutching his sea bands and stugeron tablets. He has been known to get an injection if it is really bad.

We used to love the little Artemis but picked the time of the year and destination to travel on her and the (old) Adonia.

Big stabilised ships are definitely better for stormy weather.

• Like 2

I think it depends on your own priorities and what you personally want from a cruise. No different really than booking a holiday on land where the choice may be between a small intimate hotel and a large resort one.

Do you favour a more intimate and sociable setting with more opportunity to interact with your fellow guests, but where entertainment and dining options may be limited? Or do you prefer a greater choice of dining and entertainment, with the acceptance that you and your fellow guests are likely to be as ships in the night?  There is no correct answer, its all down to personal preference.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I think it depends on your own priorities and what you personally want from a cruise. No different really than booking a holiday on land where the choice may be between a small intimate hotel and a large resort one.

Do you favour a more intimate and sociable setting with more opportunity to interact with your fellow guests, but where entertainment and dining options may be limited? Or do you prefer a greater choice of dining and entertainment, with the acceptance that you and your fellow guests are likely to be as ships in the night?  There is no correct answer, its all down to personal preference.

We quite like it that bigger hotels have some decent entertainment. Elvis and Queen tonight. On Tuesday they had the drifters, but TBH. I thought they would be older by now.🤣

Personally I prefer small ships for the larger choice of ports they can visit. I also like a more intimate and social atmosphere. I want to feel as if I am on a ship, not at a resort hotel on land.

• Like 14

Love the prom decks on the smaller and some medium ships ,the sea is so close,you 

feel you could almost touch it. I guess that feeling is lost on the mega ships peering

down through the perspex .

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Personally I prefer small ships for the larger choice of ports they can visit. I also like a more intimate and social atmosphere. I want to feel as if I am on a ship, not at a resort hotel on land.

We agree completely about the ports.  We cruise to see different ports and parts of the world, rather than spend time on a ship.  The atmosphere or the ship does help though and the quieter surroundings on the smaller ships are very important with that.  We had been on Azura and there was loud music everywhere, so it could not be escaped when our of our cabin.  It was particularly loud in the self service restaurant at breakfast and on both main pool decks.  The one advantage of Azura was the deck C cabin we had with an extremely big balcony.

• Like 1

The smallest ship we have been on was the old QEII and the largest Iona. There have been pros and cons to each one but we have enjoyed them all.

The smaller P+O ships are older, with fewer bells and whistles, but can get into different ports and we find it easier to get to know crew and other passengers.

The bigger ships we have been on have been newer with more entertainment venues and speciality restaurants. However, the number of passengers can be a problem at busy times and the itineraries tend to be more limited.

On the whole, I would far rather be on a cruise than not!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As an update after returning from Arcadia this morning, bigger ships for all of our party in the future.

Unless the smaller ships go somewhere we really want to go, will stick with the larger ships.

Has put us off doing a world cruise on Arcadia.

• Like 2

I love Aurora but hated Arcadia. With P&O most of their ships are different (more aligned with other versions in Carnival fleets) so it is hard to say if you like one you’ll like another.

on top of that they all seem to behave differently regarding staffing levels and what they offer.

With one exception, all my P&O cruises (25 or 26, I can't remember exactly, and I can't check my cruise history) were on smaller ships - Adonia, Oriana, Arcadia, Oceana and Aurora. The exception was one cruise on Ventura, and the size of that ship put me off going on anything that size ever again. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

As an update after returning from Arcadia this morning, bigger ships for all of our party in the future.

Unless the smaller ships go somewhere we really want to go, will stick with the larger ships.

Has put us off doing a world cruise on Arcadia.

On a personal level we would have preferred to be doing the world cruise on Aurora, but we are going to take our chances with Arcadia ( no choice really!!!)

• Like 1

As regulars on here will know, I choose to only sail on the smaller ships (although tried Azura twice).

I like the more intimate feel with, generally, smaller public rooms. I have done a lot of solo cruises in the last 11 years and love that when walking around a small ship you continually bump into people you have previously met and chatted with. I like the fact that you don't spend half the day walking around the ship just in order to get between venues. I love walking whilst exploring ashore but walking what seems like miles just to get from, say, the restaurant to the theatre, is just dull. On P&O's smallest ships I love that there is a full, wraparound promenade on one level, close to the sea. I enjoy that there are fewer eating venue choices as when on a cruise I don't want to have to think "where should I eat tonight". My needs are simple and the smaller ships meet them.

Hopefully that's plenty of positives for you ICF...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

As regulars on here will know, I choose to only sail on the smaller ships (although tried Azura twice).

I like the more intimate feel with, generally, smaller public rooms. I have done a lot of solo cruises in the last 11 years and love that when walking around a small ship you continually bump into people you have previously met and chatted with. I like the fact that you don't spend half the day walking around the ship just in order to get between venues. I love walking whilst exploring ashore but walking what seems like miles just to get from, say, the restaurant to the theatre, is just dull. On P&O's smallest ships I love that there is a full, wraparound promenade on one level, close to the sea. I enjoy that there are fewer eating venue choices as when on a cruise I don't want to have to think "where should I eat tonight". My needs are simple and the smaller ships meet them.

Could not agree more. For solo travellers the small ships are far more sociable. You meet the same people in the venues, and even bump into them ashore. Have made all my regular " cruise buddies'" on the small ships. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Britboys said:

There's also a wider range of ports that you can dock at and - so long as some other mega-ship isn't in port at the same time - less risk that the smaller towns will be desperately overcrowded. Plus embarkation and disembarkation is more pleasant.

• Like 3