Traffic nightmare in Port Everglades?

Albinroo

We are travelling from Port Everglades on December 9th this year, and it looks like there are no less than nine ships departing that date! We will be coming in a rental car, and my husband will drop me and the kids off and then go to the rental place in port (Avis) and come back to the port by shuttle. Any idea when would be the best time to do this to avoid traffic as much as possible? We will be driving all the way from Orlando, but early mornings doesn't scare us...traffic does! 

• Like 1

I see you are from Sweden, on vacation? Theres two routes you can take, The FL Turnpike ( toll Rd ) or I-95. I-95 is always a disaster ready to happen, can back up at any time of the day. If you want to save some toll costs, take I-95 to Ft Pierce then switch over to the turnpike the turnpike is less used than I-95. The mad rush to board the ships occurs in the morning, before noon. After noon you should move right along. Last, l would leave no later than 6am, it’s a 5 hr. drive. This gives you a small window to stop for fuel and maybe a snack. Good luck, hope all goes well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Albinroo said:

We are travelling from Port Everglades on December 9th this year, and it looks like there are no less than nine ships departing that date! We will be coming in a rental car, and my husband will drop me and the kids off and then go to the rental place in port (Avis) and come back to the port by shuttle. Any idea when would be the best time to do this to avoid traffic as much as possible? We will be driving all the way from Orlando, but early mornings doesn't scare us...traffic does! 

We've driven from Ocala (maybe an hour further than Orlando) on cruise morning.  No real issues but get an early start, maybe prior to 0600.  BTW, we much prefer the turnpike. It's not that of an expense, something like $15.00 (take coins to pay fare).  The traffic on I95 can be insane.  Much calmer ride on the turnpike.

• Thanks 1

It is about 3 hours 40 minutes from Walt Disney World to Port Everglades via the Turnpike. 9 ships is alot, but not exactly "mayhem," either. It is about 10 minutes' drive from any of the ship terminals to the Avis location at the port.

• Thanks 1

Traffic is much heavier on I-95 since it is free. Florida's Turnpike is a toll road so there is less traffic. The two roads are often side-by-side along the way. If you exit south of Fort Lauderdale at I-595 eastbound, that highway ends directly at the entrance into Port Everglades. It's an easy way into the port. Then you just need to know where your ship is but there will be signs.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We've driven from Ocala (maybe an hour further than Orlando) on cruise morning.  No real issues but get an early start, maybe prior to 0600.  BTW, we much prefer the turnpike. It's not that of an expense, something like $15.00 (take coins to pay fare).  The traffic on I95 can be insane.  Much calmer ride on the turnpike.

The Turnpike is cashless from Canoe Creek Plaza in Osceola County to West Palm Beach, and probably beyond that but I can't get a clear answer on the Turnpike Authority's website.

OP, you may find it easier to 1) take I-95 to avoid the Turnpike tolls or 2) pay the rental car company's fee for using its toll transponder in the car. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skrufy said:

I see you are from Sweden, on vacation? Theres two routes you can take, The FL Turnpike ( toll Rd ) or I-95. I-95 is always a disaster ready to happen, can back up at any time of the day. If you want to save some toll costs, take I-95 to Ft Pierce then switch over to the turnpike the turnpike is less used than I-95. The mad rush to board the ships occurs in the morning, before noon. After noon you should move right along. Last, l would leave no later than 6am, it’s a 5 hr. drive. This gives you a small window to stop for fuel and maybe a snack. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Yes on vacation from Sweden, and we've been to Florida before but only ever sailed out of PC or Miami and then we were staying in the area night before. Anyway, thank you so much for this detailed response - looks like most are suggesting the Turnpike so we'll use that for sure. And here I was, thinking the Fl turnpike was the same as I-95!

5 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

The Turnpike is cashless from Canoe Creek Plaza in Osceola County to West Palm Beach, and probably beyond that but I can't get a clear answer on the Turnpike Authority's website.

OP, you may find it easier to 1) take I-95 to avoid the Turnpike tolls or 2) pay the rental car company's fee for using its toll transponder in the car. 

Yeah it sounds like we will want to take the turnpike and use the toll transponder in the rental. I'd rather pay some money than get stuck in traffic with 4 kids in the car on debarkation day. Thank you!

5 hours ago, ericosmith said:

You might also look at what terminal you're departing from.  There is more than one way into the port and if you're leaving from terminal 2 or 4 you can avoid the security checkpoints.

Good to know, thank you! I don't know why I had this idea of Port Everglades being much smaller and easier than Miami, seems like this is huge as well. 

Good advice here, tho I would add that both the Turnpike and I-95 can suffer from high traffic delays or total blockage by a wreck.  Happens more than you might think.

When we go south we usually use I-95 although the turnpike is certainly an option,  The method we always use....get on the road, ask the wife to check traffic on Google maps for the distance that you are traveling.  Any difficulties will show up nicely and allow you to devise an alternate route if you encounter a blockage or other slow traffic.

Waze is also well used in South Florida (it's an app for your smartphone).

The other, new, option, tho rather pricey...esp for a family....the Brightline train now runs from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and could offer an effective way to get to your ship.  I suggest that you explore the features that it offers.  (Brightline advertises transit time of a little more than 3 hours from Orlando to Miami, about 30 min less to Ft Lauderdale.)

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

Good advice here, tho I would add that both the Turnpike and I-95 can suffer from high traffic delays or total blockage by a wreck.  Happens more than you might think.

When we go south we usually use I-95 although the turnpike is certainly an option,  The method we always use....get on the road, ask the wife to check traffic on Google maps for the distance that you are traveling.  Any difficulties will show up nicely and allow you to devise an alternate route if you encounter a blockage or other slow traffic.

Waze is also well used in South Florida (it's an app for your smartphone).

The other, new, option, tho rather pricey...esp for a family....the Brightline train now runs from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale and could offer an effective way to get to your ship.  I suggest that you explore the features that it offers.  (Brightline advertises transit time of a little more than 3 hours from Orlando to Miami, about 30 min less to Ft Lauderdale.)

Thanks, I will check out the new train. I have read about it but I need to check where the stations are. 

We'll probably end up driving most likely and hopefully google maps will save us. It's just that everyone uses them and I would hate to get stuck in traffic. Fingers crossed!!

23 minutes ago, Albinroo said:

Thanks, I will check out the new train. I have read about it but I need to check where the stations are. 

We'll probably end up driving most likely and hopefully google maps will save us. It's just that everyone uses them and I would hate to get stuck in traffic. Fingers crossed!!

try the Waze app

On 10/5/2023 at 9:54 PM, hrhdhd said:

The Turnpike is actually cashless all the way from Wildwood in the north to Miami in the south. You pay with either a transponder (SunPass, E-PASS or EZ-Pass) or they record your tag number and bill the car's owner plus a fee. If the OP is a regular visitor to Florida or the United States, he might want to purchase a portable SunPass Pro transponder at Publix (and other places) in Orlando and then use it on Orlando-area toll roads before heading to the cruise. Any money remaining on it will still be there during a future visit. SunPass Pro is valid in the Northeast and Midwest USA too. Buying the transponder would be cheaper than paying the daily fee that rental car companies charge for use of their transponder. Details: https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml

• Thanks 1

opinions/recommendations from another local .....

- OP is visiting from SWEDEN so I don't think buying a SUNPASS PRO is a good recommendation ...

Buying the transponder would be cheaper than paying the daily fee that rental car companies charge for use of their transponder. That depends on the rental company you choose .... better choices only charge a fee on days when the 'service' is used. Bad choices charge the fee for every day of the rental.  This page gives data for major providers: https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

- if driving Orlando to Ft L' the turnpike IS more direct versus going east to 95 .... altho crossing to 95 where they meet does reduce toll costs a couple of dollars. But that east leg to get to 95 does have tolls as well . . .Miles driven is not a big difference. As a local who's driven this route routinely for the past 45 years or so it is my opinion that the claims of better traffic on the turnpike are fantasy. They BOTH get a lil crazy once you get south of the 'join' at the Stuart area! Total miles is similar altho on the turnpike you FEEL like you are more direct. image.png.ebcee8cbc57fb56c10789f0f7efbb6bb.png

- Brightline is worth looking at but IMO they have a flawed business model as the train for a family of 4 is significantly more expensive then renting a car for a day and driving and does not save any time. There may be some special offers to get you from the train station to the port ('free UBER') but do note that's another step in the process. Folks from OP's side of the pond are more used to train travel however so it may float their boat.

Edited by Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

The Turnpike is actually cashless all the way from Wildwood in the north to Miami in the south. You pay with either a transponder (SunPass, E-PASS or EZ-Pass) or they record your tag number and bill the car's owner plus a fee. If the OP is a regular visitor to Florida or the United States, he might want to purchase a portable SunPass Pro transponder at Publix (and other places) in Orlando and then use it on Orlando-area toll roads before heading to the cruise. Any money remaining on it will still be there during a future visit. SunPass Pro is valid in the Northeast and Midwest USA too. Buying the transponder would be cheaper than paying the daily fee that rental car companies charge for use of their transponder. Details: https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml

Yet the website says cash is accepted at some plazas, hence my confusion.

https://floridasturnpike.com/tolls/cash/

My suggestion….Orlando to FtPierce.   There you can easily transfer to I95.    Remember that if there is an accident on turnpike the exits are far apart and can completely shut it down for hours.   I 95 has the same issues but there are more exits so limits the chances of getting stuck.   I would personally drive down the day before to allow for any unexpected occurrences 

39 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Yet the website says cash is accepted at some plazas, hence my confusion.

https://floridasturnpike.com/tolls/cash/

The mainline Florida's Turnpike from Wildwood to Miami is now completely cashless. All toll booths were removed. There are other toll roads that are part of the Turnpike "system" that do still offer cash lanes. For instance, TOLL SR 528 Beachline Expressway between Orlando International Airport west to I-4 is operated mostly by the Turnpike and has one toll plaza that has a cash lane. I'm sure there are others.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

- OP is visiting from SWEDEN so I don't think buying a SUNPASS PRO is a good recommendation ...

Well what I said is if the OP is a regular visitor to Florida or the United States, SunPass Pro would be a good investment since he can use it on future trips. The transponder is only $14.95 + tax and can be used in 22 states.

• Thanks 1