Live From Nieuw Amsterdam Through the Panama Canal Followed by One Week in the Caribbean

Crew News

1 hour ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Oh Gosh - So Sorry for those passengers who've not done a Panama cruise before.

While we've done several & were taking this cruise under a low "fill up the ship" offer & planned on just relaxing on the ship; we were looking forward to seeing Antigua & the Coffee Plantation that serves a wonderful luncheon.

According to projected weather - even Aruba will be a "rained out" day for us on the Eurodam leaving today Oct 12th.

Definitely a "Sea Day" cruise.....like you are experiencing

I will try to upload the MDR menus today for you if the internet allows.  They begin in San Diego.  The Sunday Brunch was good and I will post that menu as well for you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, canadarocks said:

Thanks for the menus Roger! Can you please find out if the Sunday brunch will be offered on 10 & 11 night sailings? We have a Sunday Sea Day on each leg of our upcoming B2B.

No. I learned last year that Sunday Brunch is offered on longer cruises like repostionings (20+ days).  Even though I boarded in San Diego, they counted the days from Vancouver to FLL and vice versa.  I had the Sunday Brunch when I boarded in San Diego going to Vancouver on the last segment of a FLL to Vancouver last year.  The latter menu had prime rib for breakfast.

• Like 2

NEED TO KNOW STUFF

Pre-pandemic we had booked the Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise (I think it may have been on the Zuiederdam) that was to sail from San Diego in March 2020 followed up with a 7 day back to back down the Baja Peninsula. It got cancelled because of covid three days before the cruise started and we had not sailed since that cruise.

We decided a couple of months ago to re-book the February 15th 2025 cruise as it was a bucket list trip for us. The difference between the two cruises; different and bigger ship MS Koningsdam, fewer ports because of size restrictions, more over nights and no  Mexican cruise tacked on the back end. 

We decided to wait until we got on Nieuw Amsterdam so we could take advantage of the future cruise deposit down payment. We booked a K interior on the main deck and the cruise included $225.00 OBC each, elite beverage package, 3 shore excursions, crew gratuities, 3 nights specialty dining and premium WIFI. Our cost $8,776.00 CA per person. 

We where curious about the price of a Pinnacle Suite and found that it would cost $62,072.00 CA per person and that the Pinnacle suites on board where wait listed. 

So me being me, I figure I can go on nearly eight similar cruises for the cost of one Pinnacle cruise. Unless I win El Gordo I will be sticking with my friends in low places. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, billbunger said:

Pre-pandemic we had booked the Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise (I think it may have been on the Zuiederdam) that was to sail from San Diego in March 2020... 

We decided a couple of months ago to re-book the February 15th 2025 cruise as it was a bucket list trip for us. The difference between the two cruises; different and bigger ship MS Koningsdam, fewer ports because of size restrictions, more over nights and no  Mexican cruise tacked on the back end. 

We were booked on the Mar2020 as well. I think it was to have been the Oosterdam.

We used the credit from the cancellation last New Years on the K'dam B2B and are booked for Feb 17 2024 for Hawaii-Tahiti. BUT we also have a reservation for Feb 15, 2025 (in case we have to cancel 2024 for family health reasons). The Roll Call is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2922162-february-15-march-22-2025-35-day-hawaii-tahiti-marquesas/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

We just booked  a Panama canal sunfarer for next year while we were on Oosterdam a couple weeks ago-I am surprised a cruise line would stop at a port if there is any threat of unrest.

Obviously, the threats on this cruise, like the Israel situation, were very sudden in their appearence.

• Like 4

For clarification, the salt and pepper dispensers that I mentioned in an earlier post were not shakers but grinders.  My intent was to report that another COVID restriction had been removed.

Although I don't usually take advantage of the available Room Service, I gave it a try to enable this review. My "write-in" bran muffin arrived and the Raisin Bran cereal serving did not arrive in a box, rather a pre-measured amount in a bowl.  Condiments (butter and jam) arrived in glass containers with a loose fitting glass lid.  Milk and juice arrived in approximately 6-oz reusable bottles with loose-fitting glass lids.  I failed to write-in an "empty glass" this time.  My order of "2" butters were in fact two small pats of very soft (not frozen) butter.  My order of "1" jam resulted in one teaspoon of jam.  The little card with the number to call for pickup was missing and my Room Steward advised that Room Service makes a ship-wide sweep for trays/dishes after 10:00 AM.  My Room Steward removed my tray/dishes a bit after 12:00 AM.

My first of a number of pending visits to the Canaletto Restaurant was a chance for more answers on the new menu and a chance to experience Ossubuco as a regular menu item.  I noted only two slices of bread, only three olives, reduced quantities of various spreads, and reduced amount of olive oil.  The portion of Ossubuco I received no longer included mushroom in the gravy but the portion size was significantly larger (more than a pound) amount of meat.  My two glasses of pistachio gelato were a sophisticated ending to an enjoyable dinner.  With lots of OBC, I plan on many more visits to try the new menu items.

Tidbits:
The previously reported Canaletto specials schedule restarts on each leg of a cruise segment.  

The Canaletto Ossubuco is a top seller.

The full HAL fleet will implement the new Canaletto menu before the end of October.

Around 1700 passengers onboard and lines are not too long.  The following cruise is "sold out" so another 400+ will be competing for the Lido Market tables.

There are three married couples among the crew who may wait for months until a shared stateroom is available.

The saltine cracker drought continues.

An Indonesian crew member told me that he did not learn to use a knife at dinner until he moved away from his parents.  I was perplexed until he explained that all Asian food is cut into bite-size pieces during its preparation.  What a surprising idea!!!

More later.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, billbunger said:

I lied, we are in an inside K on the Nieuw Amsterdam and will be in an inside I on the Koningsdam. 

The politically correct word is "misspoke."  "Lied" will earn a prison term.  "Misspoke" will get you elected.

• Like 3
  • Haha 20

5 hours ago, billbunger said:

I lied, we are in an inside K on the Nieuw Amsterdam and will be in an inside I on the Koningsdam. 

I had figured this out, but didn't want to be all Nanny on you to correct!

The Special-K on N.Ammy is a great interior, the I-class on K'dam may be a let down. Lots of floor space, no sofa. Ask your Steward if there is an additional chair or seating cube to be had.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 4:23 PM, Crew News said:

Day 2 began under sunny skies and bright sunshine.

Unlike previous Meet & Greets, everything was prepared 30 minutes before the start of our event and both the Events Coordinator and the Beverage Manager were present.  Roll call members began arriving a bit before 10:00 AM as did several other ship officers.  Mamacita123’s invitations as well as the promises support from the Hotel General Manager appeared to be quite successful.  At 10:15 AM, the ship officers that attended the Mariner Reception that started at the same time began arriving.  With great surprise, I welcomed the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Guest Services Manager, Cruise Director, and several others.  It was a great opportunity to ask questions.  Hopefully, those roll call members who attended realized what a monumental experience that CC offered this time.  A very special thanks to mamacita123 and Ruben Koolman, Hotel Manager, for making this event happen.

There were about 50 attendees at the Military Meeting at 5:00 PM.

Tidbits:

The Beverage Manager assured me that no new bar menus were in the foreseeable future.

The Whatsapp phone app works well with the Premium internet plan. Internet speeds from my aft verandah stateroom measured by Okla are:  6.81/1.17 Mbps with VPN and 12.7/0.64 without VPN.

Per the Cruise Director, all classical music will be performed in the showroom.  There are production show being created now in LA for future Caribbean cruises.

Fixed early dining starts at 5:30 PM for a change.

There is some interesting weather ahead of us.

More later.

Mind my asking what aft view cabin you are in?  I'll be on the NA in August '24 in aft view deck 7.  I've never sailed Holland nor aft view.  Interested in your info on the cabin

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maggiev said:

Mind my asking what aft view cabin you are in?  I'll be on the NA in August '24 in aft view deck 7.  I've never sailed Holland nor aft view.  Interested in your info on the cabin

We are not supposed to put stateroom numbers here so I will just say I am in an aft stateroom on Deck 7 now. 

In my stateroom, there are USB slots on each side of the bed.  Above the desk are two US and two European outlets.  In addition, there are two USB outlets.  All USB outlets are type A so you will need adapters for USB-C cables.  A hair dryer can be found in the desk. One desk pedestal is the minibar and the other shelves.  Lots of closet space and two large drawers under the foot of the bed.  The TV is mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed.  There are two open HDMI connectors on the TV that are reachable.

As noted, the desktop electrical outlets are controlled by the light switch for the light above the desk.  When this light is turned off at night, the A/C outlets turn off.  No charging overnight, so any charging must be done with USB outlets.

Balcony is 2/3 covered.  There are two chairs with footstools and a very small table.

Here is 7136 that I enjoyed several years ago.

image.jpeg.eeac2c58f84084bfada2efc236813fa5.jpeg

image.jpeg.82c23425a845f39e8c74d1992c74cfb7.jpeg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I had figured this out, but didn't want to be all N. anny on you to correct!

The Special-K on N.Ammy is a great interior, the I-class on K'dam may be a let down. Lots of floor space, no sofa. Ask your Steward if there is an additional chair or seating cube to be had.

We were aware that there was no sofa but after looking at the J cabins the I was the choice for us. I have a video of an I cabin but am not sure if I can post it here for people to view or not. I will see if I can find rules about what you can post on this board and if I can I will do it later today. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billbunger said:

We were aware that there was no sofa but after looking at the J cabins the I was the choice for us. I have a video of an I cabin but am not sure if I can post it here for people to view or not. 

I post links to YouTube quite frequently and have not been reprimanded. 

The four mid-ship I-category are surely to be preferred to the Js. I found a you-tube of 1124 on the Nieuw Statendam (sister to K'dam).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I post links to YouTube quite frequently and have not been reprimanded. 

The four mid-ship I-category are surely to be preferred to the Js. I found a you-tube of 1124 on the Nieuw Statendam (sister to K'dam).

Well fancy that, I-1124 is the cabin we decided to book and I suspect you viewed the video that the Filipino couple posted to you tube. We also viewed the J cabin video they posted from Nieuw Statendam and for us it turned out the choice we made was best for us. 

We had already booked the cabin before we saw the video but had read a few remarks regarding noise from BB King’s in that area. I contacted them and asked if there were any noise issues and she replied they had none at all so we were good to go. 

• Like 2

With a goal of trying all of the new specials and taking photos over the next 15 days aboard, I tried the new Canaletto Seared Scallops special last night.

My scallops dinner was tasty with an amazing presentation.  The crispy panchetta was quite a treat.  I strongly recommend.  Here is a link to the five new Canaletto menus with the file names indicating the applicable cruise days served:  Canaletto New Menus

image.jpeg.615c739ba5363dc9f5a688d3b6f1117d.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4