Cabin TV Connections

(Gasps and clutches pearls)

When I've done this (connecting my laptop to the TV) in the past, I had to bring my own universal remote to change the input to HDMI.  I've read, in some instances, you'll need to remove the data cable from the back of the TV and then turn it off and back on in order to be able to change the input using your universal remote.  YMMV.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sacrilegious at all.

Plenty of questions and discussion on this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=HDMI TV&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=51&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

You'll find 6 posts of mine on this subject in these results specifically related to Firestick which should be more or less the same for Roku or Chromecast:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=hdmi firestick&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=51&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

You will probably not be able to connect the Roku to the internet. I would suggest downloading stuff ahead of time to watch.

Can you elaborate as to why? I don't have a Roku, but from my understanding, it's really no different than a Firestick. Firestick is no problem, so not sure why you would say probably not.

Search results would suggest you can (but not seeing any hard confirmations)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=roku&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=51&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Soremekun has pointed out there are ways to do this.  But I believe they apply to the older TV models.  On newer ships the flat screen TVs are very close to the cabin wall and disconnecting anything or accessing ports could be difficult. As a backup, just record everything you like to watch on your home TV and play it back when you return.  Any shows you watch via streaming are going to be there anyway.

Edited by crewsweeper

While I haven't been on Wonder, I had no issues on Odyssey (second newest). The newer ships have a slightly different process since you need to disconnect the hardwired internet connection and reboot the TV (more info on that in the threads in the search results I linked to earlier).

There have been reports that some cabins (like maybe some GS), the TV is mounted in such a way that makes it impossible to get to the HDMI ports without tools. But that is not a new vs. old question, it has more to do with the cabin itself. However, I think I recall at least one person asking a room steward about it and they had a maintenance person come to help get access the HDMI port (not positive about this).

• Thanks 1

On Liberty right now and DH had no problem connecting our Firestick just as we've done on all the RCI ships we've sailed on across the fleet. Especially easy in the OS that have the swivel TV cabinets.

• Like 1

If you have an IPhone with sufficient storage download what interests you and get one of these adaptors.  It connects to a USB port on the TV, which every TV has these days:

Apple Lightning Digital A/V Adapter White MD826ZM/A - Best Buy

We use it all the time in our RV.  Works weather you have internet or not.  If you have an Android you'll need to get the appropriate adaptor and not the one above

Bob

27 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

RCI purchased some HD TV's without HDMI ports because they were cheaper,

Hard to believe, but I believe you. They must have gotten them for free.  OR, the cynical side of me thinks they want you to purchase their overpriced movies 😀

1 minute ago, onthewater51 said:

Hard to believe, but I believe you. They must have gotten them for free.  OR, the cynical side of me thinks they want you to purchase their overpriced movies 😀

Radiance class does not have pay-per-view.

It's all cable connection and Cat 5 so there was no real need for HDMI.  Jewel has all these connections.