What is the Princess medallion?

dragonflywoods

Hello,

We will be cruising on Princess for the first time next spring. What is the Princess medallion? I know there is the Medallion app, but I saw a medallion holder... kind of looked like an apple airtag went into it. Does Princess use this to get into your cabin and around the ship instead of the card (like Carnival)?

Just trying to figure a few things out...

Thanks,

Shannon

A convenience device for rooms, location finding and payment tracking.  No personal information is stored in medallion, it’s a way to track friends and to have orders sent to you, pay for things if you shop on ship and gets you into your room.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

The medallion is quite useful. When you approach a bar the medallion sends your id to the bar staff and they know your name without having to ask. If you get to know the bar staff (which I highly recommend) then often they will even have your drink ready before you ask.

Apart from that it just replaces the cruise card.

Basically quarter sized and a little thicker. Contains a small battery. It is used on board like a cruise card. There are sensors around the ship. Crew and your selected friends & family can locate you anywhere on board. You can order drinks and food items with the medallion app for delivery any where on the ship. Crew will be able to locate you. As you approach your cabin door your door will unlock. 

• Like 2

They do sell a variety of holders in addition to the free lanyard.  If you are so inclined, you can shop for anything that holds an AirTag and it will work as well.  You can also drop it in a pocket or purse and rarely have to fish it out (occasionally you might have to press it to a reader).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skynight said:

There are sensors around the ship.

Literally everywhere. Little white hockey-pucks.

At the bar...

image.png.682e2a500aff190ccd7b9a7810de2994.png

At another bar...

image.thumb.png.729887f1ed46bbf99c83afbef3f3e92d.png

In your stateroom...

image.png.65328388fe3a7aeda209cd6db39f3c89.png

Even on the balconies (they are discolored brownish outside, from salt air maybe?)

image.thumb.png.a3a7fc63d240ae3eacc30b30c79295cd.png

• Like 2

Our upcoming trip in December is also our first. I'm looking forward to using this, I'll wear it on my wrist and not have to worry about fumbling around for a card (or losing it). I'll still have to have my phone with me to use the Ocean Now feature but I usually have that with me anyway...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

At the bar... At another bar... In your stateroom...Even on the balconies (they are discolored brownish outside, from salt air maybe?)

I understand that this helps Princess to know where to best use their staff, etc, but if you prefer not ton contribute to that information, you can get a mission darkness pouch (we usually keep our credit cards in them) that blocks the signal.  Everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to privacy.  Just take it out to open your door. 

They make nice souvenirs afterward.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Don't be fooled into thinking they introduced the medallion for our benefit... it is a clever way to allow Princess to see exactly where we go, how we get there, the routes we take, who we are with, how long we spend there and to tie all that data up with how they design future ships and services, how to make changes (Alfredo's?)... basically how they can optimize their offering to make more money from us.

Yes, of course it has to benefit us too or we wouldn't carry it around everywhere allowing them to get the data but IMO that isn't the primary purpose.

7 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Don't be fooled into thinking they introduced the medallion for our benefit... it is a clever way to allow Princess to see exactly where we go, how we get there, the routes we take, who we are with, how long we spend there and to tie all that data up with how they design future ships and services, how to make changes (Alfredo's?)... basically how they can optimize their offering to make more money from us.

Yes, of course it has to benefit us too or we wouldn't carry it around everywhere allowing them to get the data but IMO that isn't the primary purpose.

And what about the insidious addition of Medallion Pay... getting onboard credit for an on-shore purchase is pretty far removed from the benefit of being able to open your stateroom door...  Call me $keptical...

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

I am personally not a fan. We got clips because we don’t like lanyards. Waste of money. They fall out so easily. Really with they used a key card. They are so much better!

We don't like lanyards so on our first cruise I just kept it in my pocket. On the second I got a wrist band... they work well... comfortable too

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, Outerdog said:

I'm not fooled by anything. I just don't care -- track whatever. It is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever. 

Not to you... fair enough... but many people see this as something that Princess introduced to make life easier for the passenger and that just isn't so IMO. Some I have spoken too don't like the idea of being spied on in that way.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:36 PM, kamelia said:

And what about the insidious addition of Medallion Pay... getting onboard credit for an on-shore purchase is pretty far removed from the benefit of being able to open your stateroom door...  Call me $keptical...

Did that actually work for you?  I know on our last Mexican cruise, we had a lot of non-refundable OBC to use up.  Had a nice time in a cantina that heavily advertised the ability to use the Medallion.  When it came time to pay, "Oh, sorry, our machine isn't working right now."  Won't make that mistake again.

2 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Did that actually work for you?  I know on our last Mexican cruise, we had a lot of non-refundable OBC to use up.  Had a nice time in a cantina that heavily advertised the ability to use the Medallion.  When it came time to pay, "Oh, sorry, our machine isn't working right now."  Won't make that mistake again.

The Medallion worked to open the stateroom door for me, but I have no experience with whether or not MedallionPay works.