Using a walker on a airplane

trbarton

I’m on a Princess cruise in December flying from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale. I may have to travel with a walker & fly on an airplane?  Anyone traveled like this & if so what happened? I couldn’t find a forum for this I’ll be on United. 

Any help appreciated. 

Tom😀

Yes, I've done this.  You take your walker just up to the point where you board. The airline staff then store your walker and have it ready for you when you deplane, same spot as where they took it.

Are you able to get to your seat without the walker?  If not, I'm sure the airline will assist you.

Yes as 1emerald1 described.  No way will you be able to maneuver a walker down the airplane aisles.  Do you also have a cane?  You can always use the seats for support, just don't grab a head of hair as you go up and down the aisle.  

I would suggest contacting the airline via chat, messenger, online, or call and reserve a wheelchair.  It will get you from curbside/ticket counter to airplane.  At least it will be on your boarding pass and you can pre-board and get settled before the masses start shoving and pushing you out of the way.  

You will also get a wheelchair (after all disembark plane) to baggage and curbside or to your connecting gate.  Service is complimentary, but tips are appreciated (I know.....).

• Like 2

I have some experience in this area:

First, allow yourself plenty of time at SFO. You should ask for wheelchair assistance at both airports (the airport will provide a wheelchair for you and they have personnel who can assist you, I did this for a living in a previous life). Plan to tip the person who pushes you in the chair.

The walk in SFO can be arduous and stress filled and there is no sense in starting off your vacation in a bad way.

In FLL, again the walk is long, and you will be stiff from the flight. Please realize that there is nothing wrong with accepting help.

We are also sailing out of FLL in Dec. Maybe we will see you there, LOL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes as 1emerald1 described.  No way will you be able to maneuver a walker down the airplane aisles.  Do you also have a cane?  You can always use the seats for support, just don't grab a head of hair as you go up and down the aisle.  

I would suggest contacting the airline via chat, messenger, online, or call and reserve a wheelchair.  It will get you from curbside/ticket counter to airplane.  At least it will be on your boarding pass and you can pre-board and get settled before the masses start shoving and pushing you out of the way.  

You will also get a wheelchair (after all disembark plane) to baggage and curbside or to your connecting gate.  Service is complimentary, but tips are appreciated (I know.....).

Yes, and you will also get wheelchair assistance once you board.  You will wait with the other "wheelchair people" and have priority boarding.  The process is seamless.  The difficult part is once on board and trying to navigate the narrow hallways with the services carts blocking the way, and some not so nice people on the elevators who don't want you on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J13C85 said:

I have some experience in this area:

First, allow yourself plenty of time at SFO. You should ask for wheelchair assistance at both airports (the airport will provide a wheelchair for you and they have personnel who can assist you, I did this for a living in a previous life). Plan to tip the person who pushes you in the chair.

The walk in SFO can be arduous and stress filled and there is no sense in starting off your vacation in a bad way.

In FLL, again the walk is long, and you will be stiff from the flight. Please realize that there is nothing wrong with accepting help.

We are also sailing out of FLL in Dec. Maybe we will see you there, LOL.

I'm on the Emerald Princess, December 9, 2023, 14 day Caribbean cruise. 

Tom😀

Thanks to everyone’s replies & suggestions. Extremely helpful. 

My plan is to upgrade to Economy Plus. More room & close to the restroom. 

I’ll make arrangements for the wheelchair. I can get around like to the restroom as I’ll try a get a seat close. 

$169 each way to upgrade but on a long flight it’s worth it. 

I'm way in the back of the plane. 

I’ll check with United. My boarding pass will be on my phone. 

What happens going through security?

Again a BIG thanks for everyone’s help & suggestion’s. 

Tom😀😀😀👍👍👍👌

40 minutes ago, trbarton said:

33 minutes ago, avonlady6390 said:

Going thru security would be easier with pre check.

Going through security is pretty easy even without pre check. In a wheelchair, you will bypass most lines.

3 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Going through security is pretty easy even without pre check. In a wheelchair, you will bypass most lines.

Thanks!  I already have Pre-Check. Wouldn’t travel without it. 

Tom😀

Here is some help from United regarding wheelchair assistance.   (You can hold on to your walker while in the wheelchair or the pusher can hook it on to the back of the wheelchair.)

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/accessibility-and-assistance/wheelchair-assistance.html

The contact information for Princess' Access Dept is:   accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com

Let them know you would like to request wheelchair assistance (a Princess wheelchair and a pusher) for embarkation and disembarkation.  There are lots of threads on this board about wheelchair assistance.   

13 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’ll make arrangements for the wheelchair. I can get around like to the restroom as I’ll try a get a seat close. 

Tom😀😀😀👍👍👍👌

You should ask your airline if you have to pay extra to sit closer to the washrooms.   If you have a letter from your doctor you may get a better seat closer to the front without having to pay extra.  I got such a letter and get a seat closer to the front of the plane to make it easier.

4 hours ago, mexico8 said:

You should ask your airline if you have to pay extra to sit closer to the washrooms.   If you have a letter from your doctor you may get a better seat closer to the front without having to pay extra.  I got such a letter and get a seat closer to the front of the plane to make it easier.

Interesting as I just paid for an upgrade. I guess I need to talk to United to see what I can do. 

Now to see if there is a special number with United to call. 

Thanks for your information. 

Tom😀

20 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Interesting as I just paid for an upgrade. I guess I need to talk to United to see what I can do. 

Now to see if there is a special number with United to call. 

Thanks for your information. 

Tom😀

You could check the United airlines site to see if there is a number for accessible info.   It might be the general reservation number.   I contact Air Canada medical desk when I call for the seat assignment.  They request a letter from doctor every year or two.   My doctor obliges me and signs a letter that I type up.

22 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

You could check the United airlines site to see if there is a number for accessible info.   It might be the general reservation number.   I contact Air Canada medical desk when I call for the seat assignment.  They request a letter from doctor every year or two.   My doctor obliges me and signs a letter that I type up.

I found a number on the United web site to call for “United is dedicated to providing convenient and comfortable service to all of our customers. If you need to request any special accommodations, please let us know ahead of time by calling” & it took me to a company, not United, wanting to give me an emergency device to wear. The person was very curt on the phone when I asked if they were from United. 

What does the letter from your doctor say?

Guess I’ll call the main United number. Too bad as I just paid yesterday to upgrade my seats. 

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

If I were you I would call United directly and ask them who to speak to.   The letter just states why you need to sit closer to the front - i.e., a short post  about your medical condition.  In your case, I would guess because you need a wheelchair and can't walk too far.  It could state the distance you are able to walk without aid etc.   

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I found a number on the United web site to call for “United is dedicated to providing convenient and comfortable service to all of our customers. If you need to request any special accommodations, please let us know ahead of time by calling” & it took me to a company, not United, wanting to give me an emergency device to wear. The person was very curt on the phone when I asked if they were from United. 

What does the letter from your doctor say?

Guess I’ll call the main United number. Too bad as I just paid yesterday to upgrade my seats. 

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

Many scammers set up phone numbers that are one digit different than major numbers , like United, that people call often. They do this to sell you something or gather info from you. You may have misdialed. If you suspect they are not United, just hang up and call the United again. Good luck. 

FYI…I just called United & it was very difficult to explain why I was calling. 

Because I paid for an upgrade yesterday it was difficult to ask any questions & get the right person. 

O well. 

Tom

23 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Even with the special assistance for wheelchair users, you can expect to be asked [and if you aren't asked, then *speak up* if you have a preference!] whether you can walk through the security checkpoint and have the wheelchair and pusher come next, OR if you need to remain in the wheelchair.  In the latter case, expect a serious pat-down, including of the various wheelchair elements.

IF you decide to walk through, make sure there is a place to sit on the other side in case the wheelchair isn't *immediately* behind you.

And with any "pat down" you have the right to request an agent of the same sex (or to have it done in a private area).  The latter choices may add time (especially requesting privacy), so plan accordingly.

We've found the chair pushers almost always (*almost*!) to be very helpful... asking if one needs to use a rest room, for example.  But if they don't ask, then speak up with what you need help with.  (We always ask to stop at one of the little shops after security, so we can stock up on some bottled softdrinks and sparkling water, especially for long flights.  And sometimes some extras to nibble on, depending upon what we brought with us.  The beverages cannot be "brought with you", so those are always a request.)

On the arrival end, if you request, the pusher can usually take you through luggage claim and then out to either parking area or taxi queue.

But please tip them accordingly, especially if they are pleasant.  (We like to reward those who are really helpful, hoping it will encourage them, and perhaps others, to continue to be that helpful.  Sort of paying it forward in addition to expressing thanks for the help.)

GC

32 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Even with the special assistance for wheelchair users, you can expect to be asked [and if you aren't asked, then *speak up* if you have a preference!] whether you can walk through the security checkpoint and have the wheelchair and pusher come next, OR if you need to remain in the wheelchair.  In the latter case, expect a serious pat-down, including of the various wheelchair elements.

IF you decide to walk through, make sure there is a place to sit on the other side in case the wheelchair isn't *immediately* behind you.

And with any "pat down" you have the right to request an agent of the same sex (or to have it done in a private area).  The latter choices may add time (especially requesting privacy), so plan accordingly.

We've found the chair pushers almost always (*almost*!) to be very helpful... asking if one needs to use a rest room, for example.  But if they don't ask, then speak up with what you need help with.  (We always ask to stop at one of the little shops after security, so we can stock up on some bottled softdrinks and sparkling water, especially for long flights.  And sometimes some extras to nibble on, depending upon what we brought with us.  The beverages cannot be "brought with you", so those are always a request.)

On the arrival end, if you request, the pusher can usually take you through luggage claim and then out to either parking area or taxi queue.

But please tip them accordingly, especially if they are pleasant.  (We like to reward those who are really helpful, hoping it will encourage them, and perhaps others, to continue to be that helpful.  Sort of paying it forward in addition to expressing thanks for the help.)

GC

Thanks for yours & everyone’s tips & suggestion’s. 

Tom😀👍

17 hours ago, trbarton said:

FYI…I just called United & it was very difficult to explain why I was calling. 

Because I paid for an upgrade yesterday it was difficult to ask any questions & get the right person. 

O well. 

Tom

I would call the general number and ask if there is any way to get a seat closer to the front of the plane if a medical condition warrants it.   Just a general question without getting into the specifics of having paid for an upgrade etc.   

It might not help you for this trip but for a future trip you might book.  Ask if there is a medical desk for info on this type of issue.

6 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I would call the general number and ask if there is any way to get a seat closer to the front of the plane if a medical condition warrants it.   Just a general question without getting into the specifics of having paid for an upgrade etc.   

It might not help you for this trip but for a future trip you might book.  Ask if there is a medical desk for info on this type of issue.

When I called they mentioned I already had a close seat plus their English language was so so & they didn’t understand a lot of what I was explaining. Guess I should have called back. Would you call again?

Tom😀

On 10/8/2023 at 8:59 PM, trbarton said:

Tom😀😀😀👍👍👍👌

Make sure your phone is fully charged before you get to the airport.  If there are delays before you board, you phone could run out of power.

I always carry a printed copy of my boarding pass.