Two Kiwi Fly to Fort Lauderdale to Experience a Grand Cruise - Africa

colbe

I lurk on the HAL board and enjoy reading about the exciting journeys that many of you take. I generally write a restricted F*ceb*ok diary for family and close friends when we cruise, but this time I thought that I could try putting some posts here for anyone who is interested.

We are a retired couple from Aotearoa New Zealand. I am a Maori Kiwi and DH is a UK born, East Africa raised, and now an adopted Kiwi.

We flew from Auckland to Houston, landing 13 hours later, and 5 hours before we had left NZ (yep, that pesky dateline confuses the heck out of my brain) Air New Zealand offered us free upgrade to Business Class if we didn't mind that one of the seats had a fault, and would not convert to a fully lay-flat bed. Well I'm vertically challenged and do not need a 2m long bed, so we jumped on the offer.

Houston Airport was a pleasant surprise. Immigration and security were vastly more organised and speedy than our last two experiences. This time we were 2 hours early at the gate for our flight to FLL, last time we were 10 minutes late and they were holding the plane for us.

We booked into the Hyatt Place Cruise Port Hotel for two nights to give ourselves time to adjust to the time change, and as a buffer incase of flight changes.. We have stayed here before and like the big rooms and the locality. 

This morning we set off to walk over the 17th Ave bridge to see what was on the other side - and what did we see? We saw the sea! Actually it was to get some exercise and some daylight to change our circadian rhythms. 

On the way back we stopped at Publix to buy 3 kgs of Red Mill muesli to take on to the ship. We are not accustomed to eating highly processed food and I don't enjoy the US style overly sweet cereals provided on board. Whole grain muesli, with added nuts and seeds from the galley, makes a nourishing long- lasting breakfast for us. For lunch and dinner we simply request extra steamed or raw vegetables.

We have a shuttle booked for tomorrow and the next chapter of our big adventure begins.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I am so happy that you will be taking us along on your cruise.  The Grand Africa is definitely a cruise we have looked at.

Hopefully you will find food to your liking.  I think that many passengers do not eat a lot of processed food and the options may amaze you.

Have a great cruise.  Looking forward to your posts, Cherie  

• Like 2

Went down to breakfast and found several groups of people of a 'certain age' discussing shuttles, taxis, Uber, and dock number 26. I wonder where they are all going today?

We can see Zuiderdam docked. 

Weather is warm and sunny with a possibility of showers this afternoon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, colbe said:

Went down to breakfast and found several groups of people of a 'certain age' discussing shuttles, taxis, Uber, and dock number 26. I wonder where they are all going today?

We can see Zuiderdam docked. 

Weather is warm and sunny with a possibility of showers this afternoon.

My recommendation is use the hotel shuttle to ship if available.  I have had one too many bad taxi and Uber experiences in FLL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiseIreland said:

Kia Ora, Colbe. We had a wonderful month in your beautiful country earlier this year. Highlights were Waitangi and Rotorua. Looking forward to your trip report. Ken 

I was born in Rotorua. Lived in Whakarewarewa village with my grandmother who was one of the guides for the thermal area.

• Like 4

10 Oct, Departure Day

We used the 11am, paid hotel shuttle. Very quick easy transfer, $9 per person. Dropped our bags and basically walked straight on to the ship. No lines, no waiting, plenty of ground staff. We were on by 11.30.

We went to the Lido, collected a welcome aboard glass of bubbles and found a window seat. The sushi selection today was impressive. Cabins were ready just after 12.30.

We missed out on a fixed dining table but have been able to book for tonight in the lower dining room.

Good news for me  - they have my favourite Wairau River sauvignon blanc available in the cellar pack.

No luggage yet, but I am not surprised as there is a huge amount waiting on the dock to be loaded.

• Like 9