When is a good time to arrive to Pier 27 in SF for Embarkation?

SuzieQ521

Hello:

I know Princess no longer has the selection of boarding times but I was wondering what you think the optimal window would be to arrive at Pier 27 for our Thanksgiving cruise? I'm trying to figure out when to have our shuttle pick us up...ideally was wanting to get to the Port around 10 am but not sure if that's too early (we will have a young child and a couple of elderly family members so the less waiting around, the better).

My immediate family is in the Green Lane (medallions will be shipped) and then we have other family members who will be in the Accessibility lane.

Thanks!

We usually arrive between 10 to 11 a.m. when we cruise out of San Francisco and it is fine. It can get pretty crowded and since this is a holiday cruise, it will likely be very busy. We have never regretted our decision to arrive earlier rather than later, so I think 10 a.m. will work fine. You won't be waiting that long before they start boarding and it is better than getting stuck at the back of a very long line that might materialize as the day goes on. We have seen that happen in San Francisco.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

We saw a huge line last time we sailed from San Francisco last November so just walked over to Fog City Diner for lunch and waited for the line to die down

Thank you. Do you know about what time you arrived and saw the large line?

1 minute ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thank you. Do you know about what time you arrived and saw the large line?

Around noon. So many local cruisers with cars pulling up to the curb every minute 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all seriousness, arrive at 2:00 p.m.  The lines disappear at this time.  If you get there early, like before 10:00 a.m., the pier is still a zoo of passengers, with the disembarking intermingling with the embarking passengers.  It can be be difficult to find a porter at this time because many are still busy assisting those that are disembarking.  Between 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., it get's busy as this is the suggested arrival time in the documentation.  At 2:00 p.m. or after, you'll miss the chaos.  Just forgo the embarkation day lunch.  It's worth it to not have to stand in line.

Also note Pier 27, has a small lobby on the 2nd floor for the security line, which is the bottleneck.  Passengers have to wait outside until the security line on the 2nd floor can accommodate more passengers, and only at that point will the port agents let more people up the escalator.  If you are handicapped and make it known, you can bypass the line and use the elevator to the 2nd floor.  Doesn't help that there are only 4 security lane x-rays to clear thousands of passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I agree with scx22. For that pier, a little later is usually better. We'll be embarking from pier 35 this time and that's the one that ends up with the horrible line because the pier isn't set up for such a large embarkation. 

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We try to get there at 10:30 AM and usually have no waiting in lines.  By the time you get through security and check in, the ship is usually ready for boarding.  

This has always been our experience as well. We always arrive before 11 a.m., usually closer to 10 and we have never encountered a big line or any difficulty finding porters. We are always there when boarding opens and are generally among the first onboard. We enjoy having a leisurely lunch in the dining room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10:30 am - 12:30 pm

We drop bags, park in a nearby garage and walk back. Sometimes we'll stop at Pier 23 and get plastered before heading to 27. 🍹 If you are being dropped off, then you can drop bags then head to 23 and get plastered before queueing up.

Line is minimal and moves quick. Entire process once joining the line is 10 minutes. Biggest fuss I encounter is getting the person telling people which window to go to to pay attention to open windows and stop chatting with the people in line.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We try to get there at 10:30 AM and usually have no waiting in lines.  By the time you get through security and check in, the ship is usually ready for boarding.  

Agree with this, or alittle earlier....were usually in line by 10. 

It just works out that way due to our commute and parking nearby.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

In San Francisco can I drop off my bags with the ship in the morning, and go back out to the Wharf for a few hours and come back and check in some time in the afternoon when it's less crowded?

100%. Bag drop off is at the curb. Just hand your bags to a porter and walk away.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:33 PM, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

I know Princess no longer has the selection of boarding times but I was wondering what you think the optimal window would be to arrive at Pier 27 for our Thanksgiving cruise? I'm trying to figure out when to have our shuttle pick us up...ideally was wanting to get to the Port around 10 am but not sure if that's too early (we will have a young child and a couple of elderly family members so the less waiting around, the better).

My immediate family is in the Green Lane (medallions will be shipped) and then we have other family members who will be in the Accessibility lane.

Thanks!

Accompany the older members via the Gray Lane and you can all be processed together.  Arrive early and be among first to board - especially if you have priority boarding.  There will be chairs to sit in while waiting for boarding to commence if you are that early.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Accompany the older members via the Gray Lane and you can all be processed together.  Arrive early and be among first to board - especially if you have priority boarding.  There will be chairs to sit in while waiting for boarding to commence if you are that early.

Thank you! Is 10 am fine or do you recommend earlier?

32 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thank you! Is that something you need to request prior to embarkation?

No, just look for them when you arrive.  Sometimes they are standing against the building and sometimes up at the entrance to the terminal.  They will take you up thru security and check in  and then they will turn you over to a Princess employee to take you onto the ship.  My hubby has trouble standing for more than a few minutes and the incline on the gangway onto the ship is too much.  i hope this helps.  Have a great time!

1 hour ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thank you! Is 10 am fine or do you recommend earlier?

!0am is likely great as you might be moving a bit slower and such.  I'd only worry about earlier if I was determined to book Sanctuary and thought there would be high competition.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Outerdog said:

100%. Bag drop off is at the curb. Just hand your bags to a porter and walk away.

Do you know what time you can drop bags off with the porters in San Francisco?  We might drop bags off and go explore as well.

Since I live in San Francisco for boarding I usually arrive around 9;30 am, usually a very short line, & around 10 am we are let into the terminal. Boarding is usually around 11;30 am. I’m also able to drop off my bags too.  I prefer to avoid long lines as I’m told that may be longer the longer that you wait. I prefer to be on the ship when their are only a few people. 

Yes you could drop off your bags & come back later. I would arrive back by 3 pm. 

Tom😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 2:15 PM, memoak said:

We saw a huge line last time we sailed from San Francisco last November so just walked over to Fog City Diner for lunch and waited for the line to die down

There is an excellent Jazz Cafe right next to the pier for excellent food & drinks. 

Tom😀