Wine Question

Hi,

I hope someone can help me as I am getting conflicting information.  We have an RCCL cruise in 2 weeks.  In March we went on a Celebrity cruise and each brough 2 bottles on board.  I am reading the RCCL website and it says each person can only bring 1.  Wouldn't the rules be the same for each cruise line?  TIA

4 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

Hi,

I hope someone can help me as I am getting conflicting information.  We have an RCCL cruise in 2 weeks.  In March we went on a Celebrity cruise and each brough 2 bottles on board.  I am reading the RCCL website and it says each person can only bring 1.  Wouldn't the rules be the same for each cruise line?  TIA

2 separate companies with many different policies.  One bottle per person of legal drinking age. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

Hi,

One bottle per person in hand and one bottle in each of your luggage will be fine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

One bottle per person in hand and one bottle in each of your luggage will be fine!

Why encourage people to not follow the rules?  Also, we used to put wine in our luggage and it isn’t much fun when you have to go and retrieve it yourself and receive it late because you weren’t supposed to put it in your checked luggage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't believe Celebrity ever allowed 2 per person, did they?

The old rule was 2 per cabin. The new rule is 1 per person.

Yes for a while our November cruise last year and our March cruise this year we were allowed to bring on two bottles each , celebrity has recently changed the rule  back to one bottle each like rccl .

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Why encourage people to not follow the rules?  Also, we used to put wine in our luggage and it isn’t much fun when you have to go and retrieve it yourself and receive it late because you weren’t supposed to put it in your checked luggage.

Correct we had to go to naughty room because I had a wine opener which they thought was a knife, anything like that should be carried on .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Yes,

IF you don’t mind that your luggage gets pulled  and sent to security.

If you don’t mind that after waiting all afternoon  for your luggage, you go to security, waste a hour and have to wait in line for luggage inspection.

If you don’t mind that security opens your luggage and looks through it.

If you don’t mind, but they take the bottle, and return it to you in the last evening.  

If you  don’t mind if potentially the bottle breaks, and runs all over your clothes.  

…..Other than that, you’ll be fine. 

I recall a time when no wine was allowed to be brought on board. I’m thrilled that we are allowed to bring one bottle each. I suspect if there’s lots of abuse, that the wine allowance could discontinued. 

m

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Yes,

IF you don’t mind that your luggage gets pulled  and sent to security.

If you don’t mind that after waiting all afternoon  for your luggage, you go to security, waste a hour and have to wait in line for luggage inspection.

If you don’t mind that security opens your luggage and looks through it.

If you don’t mind, but they take the bottle, and return it to you in the last evening.  

If you  don’t mind if potentially the bottle breaks, and runs all over your clothes.  

…..Other than that, you’ll be fine. 

I recall a time when no wine was allowed to be brought on board. I’m thrilled that we are allowed to bring one bottle each. I suspect if there’s lots of abuse, that the wine allowance could discontinued. 

m

Not true anymore -if you only have one bottle of wine....they will not hold it but send it with all the other luggage - things have changed! Too much work for them to do all that you described....they go the easy route now!👍

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Not true anymore -if you only have one bottle of wine....they will not hold it but send it with all the other luggage - things have changed! Too much work for them to do all that you described....they go the easy route now!👍

Do you just make things up to create a stir?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

2 separate companies with many different policies.  One bottle per person of legal drinking age. 

thanks everyone,  I was getting confused because we were on Celebrity in March and each brought 2 for a total of 4.  We carried on no issues...we were in a suite.  We are in a suite in a few weeks on RCCL so wanted to make sure we were OK.  I always carry on any alchohol just easier to deal with it that way in case it is flagged (never had been).  we will go with one bottle per person and carry it on.  thanks!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

thanks everyone,  I was getting confused because we were on Celebrity in March and each brought 2 for a total of 4.  We carried on no issues...we were in a suite.  We are in a suite in a few weeks on RCCL so wanted to make sure we were OK.  I always carry on any alchohol just easier to deal with it that way in case it is flagged (never had been).  we will go with one bottle per person and carry it on.  thanks!

One advantage of rccl is we haven’t been charged corkage in about a decade, celebrity used to charge 25

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Every ship handles things differently.  There is no guarantee that this is how it will be handled every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Michele035 said:

Nobody cares that you are in a suite. Has nothing to do with your question. It's always been 2 per cabin or now 1 per person. Nothing conflicting at all

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:16 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Nobody cares that you are in a suite. Has nothing to do with your question. It's always been 2 per cabin or now 1 per person. Nothing conflicting at all

I asked a question and many respondents gave me the answer in helpful and courteous manner.  I am not sure why you felt the need to respond that way but have a wonderful day. 

1 hour ago, Michele035 said:

I asked a question and many respondents gave me the answer in helpful and courteous manner.  I am not sure why you felt the need to respond that way but have a wonderful day. 

I think mentioning the suite is sometimes a factor, on one of my celebrity cruises they had the incorrect info on the number of bottles allowed but said we will let you keep it because of your suite . Have a great cruise. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, temple1 said:

We are on a back to back in a few days. How do we bring wine for the 2nd leg?

If you get stopped, you say the other bottles are for 2nd leg and they take those, and return them to you on last night of first leg.  I’m sure someone will say you get them back on first day of 2nd leg but ^^ has been our experience 

On 10/12/2023 at 8:33 PM, George C said:

I think mentioning the suite is sometimes a factor, on one of my celebrity cruises they had the incorrect info on the number of bottles allowed but said we will let you keep it because of your suite . Have a great cruise. 

Right-on.  Also, if someone is new to RCCL, coming back after a long hiatus, or just never experienced it before, one might think that there MAY be a different perk of suites. Very valid mention of suites, in my opinion.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Right-on.  Also, if someone is new to RCCL, coming back after a long hiatus, or just never experienced it before, one might think that there MAY be a different perk of suites. Very valid mention of suites, in my opinion.

One thing I hate about rccl is different perks for different ships newer ships free internet with grand suite or higher , older ships no, some have suite restaurant other no, one thing on Celebrity is same perks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

One thing I hate about rccl is different perks for different ships newer ships free internet with grand suite or higher , older ships no, some have suite restaurant other no, one thing on Celebrity is same perks.

There doesn't seem to be much continuity where there could be some.  However, even if there was continuity, each ship has the power of discretion.  But, it's their ball.