Mexico Ports

beentolong

Hello, we are considering booking the breakaway out of New Orleans in March 2024 and have two stops in Mexico, I know there’s mixed reviews, but does anybody have opinions on the safety of Cozumel and Costa Maya? We really like the itinerary as we have not been to the 4 stops on the list, but figured I would throw it out there to get a couple opinions. Thanks 

1 hour ago, beentolong said:

Hello, we are considering booking the breakaway out of New Orleans in March 2024 and have two stops in Mexico, I know there’s mixed reviews, but does anybody have opinions on the safety of Cozumel and Costa Maya? We really like the itinerary as we have not been to the 4 stops on the list, but figured I would throw it out there to get a couple opinions. Thanks 

There is zero safety concern at either port. Or maybe more properly, no heightened safety issues. We have done the Western Caribbean 4 times post-pandemic. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Costa Maya is really remote.  The main attractions are the cruise excursions and the nearby waterpark.

The small port area is the typical tourist stores and a few drinking establishments.  However, there are tours to 2 different Mayan ruins, if that interests you.

Cozumel is one of the most visited places in all of Mexico.  They have 3 port facilities that can handle a total of 9 cruise ships at once.  Typically it is "only" 5 or 6.  The dock NCL uses is the most convenient, and places you into downtown.  You have to walk through an open air mall to get to anywhere.  Several excursions are for the east side of the island, where there are large beaches.  There are small Mayan ruins in the middle of the island.    I would recommend not doing mainland tours (Tulum or Chechen Itza) as you have to use a ferry to the mainland, then bus for several hours to get to the ruins.  Then repeat the process for return. 

While you can get into trouble anywhere, Cozumel is very safe, even off the main streets in the day.  Travel in pairs or groups of 4 or more, and you will have no problems.  

If you are so inclined, there is a small brew pub a few blocks off the main drag that is worth visiting, they have good empanadas.   

Cozumel is wonderful. We've done Mr. Sanchos beach club twice now and will go again in Feb 2024. Super easy to grab a taxi after walking thru the mall shop from port.

Costa Maya we've done the ruins tour with Native Choice tours. Wonderful company, same exact tour NCL offers but at half the price. You need to walk out of port about 10 minutes to get to their offices and it was very safe, no vendors or people hassling you.

When my friend and I went to Costa Maya back in 2019 (instead of our planned stop in Havana 😫), we spent the day at Maya Chan. I posted on another thread that I only book excursions though the cruise line, but this was a last minute exception. Very nice, relaxing and never felt remotely unsafe or concern about getting back to ship on time. 

https://costamayabeachresort.com

• Like 2

It's been about 5 years since we were there, however it still comes up on a "search".  Probably our favorite Western Caribbean stop and its at Costa Maya.  Heck they use to wade out in the water to take your drink order as your floating in tubes!  My wife says one of the best massages she's had especially for the $'s

costa maya beach resort com an all inclusive stop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BunnyHutt said:

When my friend and I went to Costa Maya back in 2019 (instead of our planned stop in Havana 😫), we spent the day at Maya Chan. I posted on another thread that I only book excursions though the cruise line, but this was a last minute exception. Very nice, relaxing and never felt remotely unsafe or concern about getting back to ship on time. 

https://costamayabeachresort.com

Looks like great minds thinks a like, you were 1 minute ahead of me 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another vote for Maya Chan, we have been there three times. Its a 20 minute at the time very bumpy ride from the cruise port. Excellent price and food. They could charge twice the price and it would still be worth it. 

We went to Cozumel in March. Didn't spend any time on Cozumel as we did partake of the Tulum ruins excursion, via the ferry, aka Vomit Rocket! I have never seen so many people in my life puke in concert. Personally, I absolutely loved the ferry and the waves. My husband, and several others, did not. Thankfully they have bags for those without an iron stomach. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, but I'll sit topside so I don't have to smell the vomit!

As for safety, we were on an NCL excursion, however we had to wander several blocks from the mainland ferry terminal to where our bus was parked. The streets seemed perfectly safe. I didn't see anyone soliciting (maybe they avoid tours, I don't know). Streets were clean. Businesses were open. Smiles and greetings by locals to us tourists were plentiful. 

Also, I'm not exactly scared by much of anything. I'll wander whatever city/small town I'm in, at any time of night. The only thing that worries me is seeing police armed to the gills with their guns. Those were plentiful in the ferry port. Loads of police with guns. Several beautiful German Shepards ready to sniff your bag, etc....otherwise, no worries for me! 

Have a wonderful time and don't be so worried. You'll be fine.

Companion and I just returned from a two week visit to Mexico. San Miguel de Allende and Guadalajara. Felt very safe travelling in that part of central Mexico. 

Over 10,000 Americans live in San Miguel.

Over 100,000 Americans live in the Guadalajara area. 

Cozumel and Costa Maya are tourist traps. Not real Mexico but safer than where you live. The main danger is drinking too much tequila and missing your ship. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We went to Cozumel in March. Didn't spend any time on Cozumel as we did partake of the Tulum ruins excursion, via the ferry, aka Vomit Rocket! I have never seen so many people in my life puke in concert. Personally, I absolutely loved the ferry and the waves. My husband, and several others, did not. Thankfully they have bags for those without an iron stomach. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, but I'll sit topside so I don't have to smell the vomit!

As for safety, we were on an NCL excursion, however we had to wander several blocks from the mainland ferry terminal to where our bus was parked. The streets seemed perfectly safe. I didn't see anyone soliciting (maybe they avoid tours, I don't know). Streets were clean. Businesses were open. Smiles and greetings by locals to us tourists were plentiful. 

Also, I'm not exactly scared by much of anything. I'll wander whatever city/small town I'm in, at any time of night. The only thing that worries me is seeing police armed to the gills with their guns. Those were plentiful in the ferry port. Loads of police with guns. Several beautiful German Shepards ready to sniff your bag, etc....otherwise, no worries for me! 

Have a wonderful time and don't be so worried. You'll be fine.

That reminds me of when I was recently in Encinada.  We were on a main street and noticed military style jeeps driving past, each with about 4 men, some standing on the running boards (?) dressed in camoflauge (not green but dark, grey and black i think) with  guns/ ?  Sometimes I wonder if they do these type of things to thrill the tourists.  It sure was creepy looking.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

That reminds me of when I was recently in Encinada.  We were on a main street and noticed military style jeeps driving past, each with about 4 men, some standing on the running boards (?) dressed in camoflauge (not green but dark, grey and black i think) with  guns/ ?  Sometimes I wonder if they do these type of things to thrill the tourists.  It sure was creepy looking.  

Oh trust me, it’s not to thrill tourist.  You’ll also see this in Acapulco - there’s a very good reason for their presence. It’s just, so far, they’ve been able to keep the tourists areas along Cancun “safe”. Like any large city though get off the beaten path and things can/do happen. 

5 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

That might have been cartel members you seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

maybe

Probably not. I wish the police in my area would show more of a presence. There were only three murders here last night in Jackson, Mississippi. Slow night for the thugs.

I felt much safer in Mexico than here in Mississippi. Yes....you do see widespread police very heavily armed here and there. Wish they were here as well.