Old Cabins vs. New Cabins, Windstar

frickwg

I am looking at booking another Windstar cruise on one of the stretched, old Seabourn Ships.  I was in the old cabins several times when they were Seaborn and once in an old cabin after they were stretched (not much change).

How are the new cabins in the stretched section?  They seem to be about the same size.  Bathroom (tub/shower or shower), size, décor, fitting, quiet......

We just got off the Pride from the Greenland trip, we had 511, we loved the little living room/ reading area by the balcony, we had a new bathroom with double sinks and a walk in shower. We felt it was a well designed and equipped space. Extremely comfortable. Happy Sailing.

1 hour ago, Strenz said:

We just got off the Pride from the Greenland trip, we had 511, we loved the little living room/ reading area by the balcony, we had a new bathroom with double sinks and a walk in shower. We felt it was a well designed and equipped space. Extremely comfortable. Happy Sailing.

This is one of the old cabins.  Good to know that the bathroom has been redone and that you liked it.  [We'll be in 524 so your report is very relevant to me]

As noted above, the only differences with the new cabins are that the bed is now by the window/balcony [which some prefer and some want to avoid based on how they use the cabin during the day and for nocturnal visits to the bathroom...] and that the new cabins are all in the new spliced-in section and therefore are in the 'ideal' midship location.  Almost all the old cabins have moved forward and so many have more 'motion of the ocean.'

9 hours ago, frickwg said:

I am looking at booking another Windstar cruise on one of the stretched, old Seabourn Ships.  I was in the old cabins several times when they were Seaborn and once in an old cabin after they were stretched (not much change).

How are the new cabins in the stretched section?  They seem to be about the same size.  Bathroom (tub/shower or shower), size, décor, fitting, quiet......

We have stayed in both and have decided we prefer the new style cabin with the bed near the window. I tend to lounge in bed later than my DH who likes to get room service for early am coffee. With the new configuration, the steward can deliver his coffee and pastry without walking past me still in bed! I also enjoy my morning coffee in bed with that beautiful ocean view.

The heads (bathrooms) are the same in both configurations with the large shower and double sinks. So nice!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Better quality furniture in the old cabins, in my opinion.

Maybe but it's pretty banged up, but you don't see it after a while.  I like the old configuration better.  The lighting in the new cabins is also much brighter than the old cabins 

We prefer older cabins with bed near bathroom.  Those cabins have been renovated. Bathrooms in all cabins were updated. Most removed the tubs and added double sinks. There are a few cabins that kept the tub.  Some cabins have only one sink.  All cabins got new bedding and carpeting.  Older cabins kept the gorgeous darker wooden features. However, the vanity and drawers weren’t upgraded. They look worn.  Newer cabins have light colored  features with bed near the window.  Public spaces have been reimagined.  Most notable is the expanded indoor space in the veranda.  Also, Aamphora was rebuilt with more space keeping it close to the kitchen. Aamphora was taken apart and moved toward the aft. In the original Aamphora space, there are port hole cabins, a new elevator, and landing area for tenders. 

• Like 1

We were pleasantly surprised with the new stretched motor ships. We love the old configuration of the cabins, showers great, we love sitting by the balcony breathing the fresh air even in Greenland where it was cold. We  thought there was a lot of great thought that went into the new design. We were on the Breeze before the redo so we were mightily happy with the new. Not much experience with the motors only twice but 26 times with the sails. Going to book another motor cruise while in the Caribbean on the Surf. Happy Sailing  

7 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Older cabins kept the gorgeous darker wooden features. However, the vanity and drawers weren’t upgraded. They look worn.  Newer cabins have light colored  features with bed near the window.

Right: choice between beautiful old real wood that's worn, versus ugly new fake looking wood.  I'll take old and real every time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had Star Legend #527 for Around Iceland in July, 2023. We prefer the bed near the bathroom, but the bed is startlingly close to the bathroom door. I agree that the built-in drawers seemed older, but worked fine. We find the cabins spacious and comfortable.

As a practical matter, the new dual sinks in the bathroom don't have enough floor area enough to make dual occupancy of the bathroom practical! Our nicely huge shower stall, was pretty enough, but the floor was laid wrong, accumulating water at the end opposite the (perfectly good) drain end. Our steward must have squeegeed it out every day. A few tiles near one end were cracked, presumably leaking into the wall (?)

I was surprised that there still was only a single 120V outlet. (We have plenty of Shuco adapters for our multi-voltage chargers, I'm only trying to speak for the less electrically sophisticated ... ) I am glad that I can put a micro-current nightlight in the shaver outlet and it still works with the bathroom light OFF. Our air conditioning could not cope with direct sun on the wide-view fixed cabin window.