Air Canada new size measuring device for carry on luggage

kellk

46 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We flew home from LAX back to YUL yesterday. As above, there were lots of pleas from the gate agents for volunteers to check their bags for free, with virtually no takers of course. We saw no evidence of bags being sized at check-in or at the gate. Luckily, it was a new-ish 737-Max with absolutely enormous overhead bins, the new type where the bags can sit vertically instead of lying flat, to allow more bags to be carried.  Very interestingly, when the gate agent was making the announcement asking for volunteers, he actually insinuated that if you were in Zone 5, they may be forced to check your bag for you. We board in Zone 2 so I don't know whether they actually had to enforce that. 

I have had them state that if you are in Zones 3, 4, or 5, you will most likely have to check your bag, so you might as well bring it to us now, so you don't delay the boarding process.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have had them state that if you are in Zones 3, 4, or 5, you will most likely have to check your bag, so you might as well bring it to us now, so you don't delay the boarding process.

I hand over my carryon ONLY if I don’t have a connecting plane.  I am not sure if carryon handed over at the gate MIGHT not make the connecting flight.

• Like 1

Just now, phabric said:

I hand over my carryon ONLY if I don’t have a connecting plane.  I am not sure if carryon handed over at the gate MIGHT not make the connecting flight.

Technically, they are checked and the gate affixes the same type of luggage tag that would be given at initial bag drop and checkin... so technically they have the same chance of making it or not making it as any other bag.

But, I get your concern and agree with your reasoning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phabric said:

I'm with you on this one. We only take a small roller (16 inch under-seat roller bag) and am generally quick to check it when offered. I do hold back sometimes if it is connecting flight on the way going to my vacation destination . Coming home though, even with a connector, I don't really care if my bag(s) are delayed .. so I check it in. 

5 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Technically, they are checked and the gate affixes the same type of luggage tag that would be given at initial bag drop and checkin... so technically they have the same chance of making it or not making it as any other bag.

But, I get your concern and agree with your reasoning.

I think the reasoning is that bags in general are at a higher risk of delay with a connector, so at least I should have one bag with extra undergarments (at least that's what is in ours).

Other than one flight last summer during the baggage fiasco's everywhere, have only had luggage delayed 3-4 times over the years and the bags were delivered to me later that day of arrival, That is in over 30 years of flying maybe 3-4 times a year (so maybe 100 flights). I guess we are just lucky baggage people!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

they used to  put gate checked bags in the jetway at the end of the flight   but  now I think they go with the rest of the baggage

Ours came with all the other baggage to the carousel 

In general, the checking of bags at the jetway with return to the jetway after the flight, was/is typically only done for the small aircraft like RJs and Dash 8s, where the baggage bins are far too small in size and number to accommodate all the carry-ons of today.  I can't remember ever seeing it happen on the larger aircraft (737 and above), especially when bags are loaded into containers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I'd love to know what happens when the airline tries to force a passenger to give up their bag for forced checking. What happens if the passenger refuses? I'm pretty sure the airline does have the power to do it, given the Ts and Cs of the passenger contract on the ticket. That being said, every time we've flown in the last year (maybe 8 times?), the airline has tried to get passengers to give up some bags, but even the very last passengers boarding in Zone 5 are still coming on board with two, even three carry-ons, leading me to think the forced handover is never actually carried out.

48 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'd love to know what happens when the airline tries to force a passenger to give up their bag for forced checking. What happens if the passenger refuses? I'm pretty sure the airline does have the power to do it, given the Ts and Cs of the passenger contract on the ticket. That being said, every time we've flown in the last year (maybe 8 times?), the airline has tried to get passengers to give up some bags, but even the very last passengers boarding in Zone 5 are still coming on board with two, even three carry-ons, leading me to think the forced handover is never actually carried out.

I will not give my carry-on over at the gate for check in. My essential items such as medication, travel docs and laptop are in there, so not willing to risk possible delays/loss of these items. Additionally, the laptop is not allowed to go into checked bag as per Transport rules. 

15 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

I will not give my carry-on over at the gate for check in. My essential items such as medication, travel docs and laptop are in there, so not willing to risk possible delays/loss of these items. Additionally, the laptop is not allowed to go into checked bag as per Transport rules. 

Even if you tried, at the gate they will ask you if you have medications or essentials items in the bag, and if so, ask you to either remove them if you can or just not check the bag.

It's really trying to reduce the number of large overstuffed roller-bags that get carried on board, which are not typically overloaded with medication and essential documents. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Airlines should charge a fee for carry on bags at the same rate as check bags 

I doubt that would solve the problem of a lack of overhead bin space within the cabin, and would simply serve to punish those of us who adhere to the rules. A better solution would be to simply enforce the existing rules.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Airlines should charge a fee for carry on bags at the same rate as check bags 

I think they tried that a few years back  but   did not solve the problem

people paid  & still no space

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Porter charges for carry on in their standard fee 

AC doesn’t have a weight restriction which means people try to everything into a carry on 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Porter charges for carry on in their standard fee 

AC doesn’t have a weight restriction which means people try to everything into a carry on 

A Standard fare entitles you to a free Personal item and a free Standard carry-on. A Basic fare entitles you to a free Personal item only, and you must check all other baggage, including any "carry-on". No one pays a separate fee to board with a carry-on. 

Screenshot2023-10-16at8_07_28PM.thumb.png.5579754e21c857d0669a44a4dede7d53.png

24 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A Standard fare entitles you to a free Personal item and a free Standard carry-on. A Basic fare entitles you to a free Personal item only, and you must check all other baggage, including any "carry-on". No one pays a separate fee to board with a carry-on. 

Screenshot2023-10-16at8_07_28PM.thumb.png.5579754e21c857d0669a44a4dede7d53.png

Last time we flew on Porter you could pay extra for check bags in basic 

but did find out the military personnel, active or retired gets 3 check bags on Porter 😁

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I don't recall AC trying it, but Porter, Flair and Swoop all are doing it succesfully.

We've flown Swoop and Flair ..no problems with excess carry on for those flights. People pay for it and it is clearly tagged when brought on.

Honestly, just limit passengers to what they’re allowed and there’d be no need to check carryons. It’s not just the larger than allowed carryons it’s all the extra personal items that people carry on…shopping bags bursting with stuff, along with a purse and backpack and garment bag…whatever happened to ONE carryon for the overhead and ONE personal item? Start measuring and counting at the gate and in no time word would spread on social media and problem solved! No extra charge for those who follow the rules and limitations and planes load quickly and efficiently. Ok, rant over 🤦🏼‍♀️🤫

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I don't recall AC trying it, but Porter, Flair and Swoop all are doing it succesfully.

If Porter was charging a fee for carry-on bags, it couldn't have been very successful, as they no longer offer this option. For Standard fares and up, a free carry-on is included. For the Basic fare passengers, no carry-on is included and they can't pay extra to bring a carry-on aboard.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

If Porter was charging a fee for carry-on bags, it couldn't have been very successful, as they no longer offer this option. For Standard fares and up, a free carry-on is included. For the Basic fare passengers, no carry-on is included and they can't pay extra to bring a carry-on aboard.

It's a matter of logistics. For Porter the basic fare allows no carry-on (and you pay for checked bags). If I want a carry-on, I have to pay more by buying a Standard Fare.

The point is Porter, Flair and Swoop all successful price their fares and baggage such that there is no "free" carryon.

For all those airlines, at the lowest fare, nothing other than a personal item is free. 

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Honestly, just limit passengers to what they’re allowed and there’d be no need to check carryons. It’s not just the larger than allowed carryons it’s all the extra personal items that people carry on…shopping bags bursting with stuff, along with a purse and backpack and garment bag…whatever happened to ONE carryon for the overhead and ONE personal item? Start measuring and counting at the gate and in no time word would spread on social media and problem solved! No extra charge for those who follow the rules and limitations and planes load quickly and efficiently. Ok, rant over 🤦🏼‍♀️🤫

Therein lies a big part of the current problem. Many folks board an airplane with the two "legal" items, a carry-on bag and a so-called personal item, then proceed to put BOTH items in the overhead bin when the rule is that the personal item is supposed to go under the seat in front. I routinely see people shove even three items in the bins rather than face losing the miniscule amount of legroom in regular economy class.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I routinely see people shove even three items in the bins rather than face losing the miniscule amount of legroom in regular economy class.

Dare I mention that these are the same passengers that wear the biggest winter parkas that they stuff in the bin beside their items rather than on top of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Therein lies a big part of the current problem. Many folks board an airplane with the two "legal" items, a carry-on bag and a so-called personal item, then proceed to put BOTH items in the overhead bin when the rule is that the personal item is supposed to go under the seat in front. I routinely see people shove even three items in the bins rather than face losing the miniscule amount of legroom in regular economy class.

I get all of this, but I am a keen observer, and although I can only see what is immediately around me, I don't see many people at all wanting to use the under the seat option because it is so limited, especially on a long flight.  I am 6' so I need the leg room.

Now in aircraft that only takes my wheeled carryon flat in the bin, then I use the limited space on top of that for a personal item or coat.  If the bin takes it on the side therefore giving more space for more bags, I hold the personal item until after everyone is seated and I have never had an issue getting that small extra bag in the bin.  It is all about strategy.

• Like 4