Least painful way to cancel a cruise?

Clampram

This coming week I need to cancel a cruise that we booked for next March. Is it better to do this on the chat feature or to call on the phone?

I used to FCDs for hubby and I when I booked....I assume that I will get those back?

I see so many issues about communication here that it's made me leery about doing this......thank in advance for any suggestions!

Did you have a refundable deposit?

When does the FCD expire?  It will either be rebanked or refunded if expired.

Are you working with a Travel Agent?   They should do the cancelling.  If not, chat should be able to cancel it for you.  

I find doing it over chat to be the least painful way to do it. Although, recently a chat agent refused to cancel a cruise which was well-within the full refund cancellation period for someone who was planning on traveling with me and had a change of plans. They were told only supervisors can cancel cruises. I don’t believe this is a recent policy change as I’ve had recent success cancelling a cruise over chat. So, it might depend on who you speak to, even over chat. I still think it’s better than calling the call-center. 

12 minutes ago, ChristiCruising said:

They were told only supervisors can cancel cruises. I don’t believe this is a recent policy change as I’ve had recent success cancelling a cruise over chat...

I canceled one a couple of weeks ago and the agent put me on hold to talk to a supervisor. When she came back, she stated the supervisor had approved the cancellation. Bizarre.

• Thanks 1

Exactly why we have a CVP with whom we have had great success over many years in doing cancellations, refaring, and any other changes or additions to our booking.  Never sit on hold, never talk to inexperienced agents or to agents who are difficult to understand.  I can’t imagine booking a cruise without her.

• Like 3

Whatever method you use make sure that you demand a written confirmation from the cruise line to document that the cruise was cancelled.  This could save you when a cruise company tries to claim that you did not cancel the cruise.  In fact make sure that anything that you do with the cruise company is confirmed in writing.

DON

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Ohhhh,  I would feel plenty sad and disappointed to have to cancel a cruise that I was looking forward to!!!  😢

Most of us have had this experience more than once, and for some of us, many times.  Yes, it’s disappointing, but you feel much better immediately booking another one.lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Ohhhh,  I would feel plenty sad and disappointed to have to cancel a cruise that I was looking forward to!!!  😢

I recently cancelled a HAL cruise for mid 2024 that I'd booked in late 2022.  I had booked it in haste because I was afraid it would sell out and it seemed a "one time only" itinerary.  When that itinerary was repeated on the 2025 HAL schedule, I realized that it wasn't a one-off cruise, and doing it in 2025 or 2026 would fit my schedule better.  So while I was "sad" I had to cancel, I wasn't devastated.

13 hours ago, WYB! said:

I would contact your TA to cancel.

TA are really the easiest and most efficient way to cancel a cruise.

- WYB

12 hours ago, rbtan said:

Please use your agent if you have one. Less chance of the old He said/She said routine.

If you book with a travel agent, then you must cancel through that agent. Princess won't handle it with you directly.

If you did not book through a travel agent, then you can't contact a travel agent to cancel. You have to deal directly with Princess yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I called Princess about an hour ago and my call was immediately answered by an agent. The cancellation process could not have been easier. I had used 2 FCDs and those were immediately restored to my account. 

I received the email cancellation while on the phone.

I did have 2 prior Princess Vacation Planners and both had the same disease...inability to answer phone messages/calls/texts over multiple weeks.

It seems to me that there is little to no oversight of this group. I am done with that process. It is easier to book yourself or use a trusted agent if you can find one

• Thanks 1

I called my TA last week to cancel a cruise for next March. He had to call Princess because we had ez air, which made it a bit complicated. Anyway, the cruise was cancelled and confirmation email received while I was on the phone.

4 hours ago, Clampram said:

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I called Princess about an hour ago and my call was immediately answered by an agent. The cancellation process could not have been easier. I had used 2 FCDs and those were immediately restored to my account. 

I received the email cancellation while on the phone.

I did have 2 prior Princess Vacation Planners and both had the same disease...inability to answer phone messages/calls/texts over multiple weeks.

It seems to me that there is little to no oversight of this group. I am done with that process. It is easier to book yourself or use a trusted agent if you can find one

I can't imagine any pushback on cancelling cruises, given how close to 100% occupancy many ships are sailing at these days.   Reselling the cabin should be easy for them if you're cancelling 90+ days out.

And I've booked several cruises with Princes Vacation Planners over the last month, I've left multiple voice mail and email messages and had questions answered and problems resolved with call backs within hours.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:16 AM, Clampram said:

This coming week I need to cancel a cruise that we booked for next March. Is it better to do this on the chat feature or to call on the phone?

I used to FCDs for hubby and I when I booked....I assume that I will get those back?

I see so many issues about communication here that it's made me leery about doing this......thank in advance for any suggestions!

People cancel cruises all the time. There shouldn’t be anything painful about e

1 hour ago, lovevacadays said:

People cancel cruises all the time. There shouldn’t be anything painful about e

I think some posters might be reading a little too much into the 'least painful' comment.  I could be wrong, and the OP can let me know if I am, but I think you could just substitute 'easiest' and have close to the same meaning as to what was meant?