Jet Blue for international flight to Amsterdam from NY

styme123

I'm booked on cruise in July to Norway Fjords leaving from Amsterdam. I've only flow once internationally once before to London last summer with Delta and Virgin. I've heard of Jet Blue for a lot of local flights within the US but not international. We want to fly non-stop, they have the cheapest flight right now that leaves at a good time at night for us from JFK. What makes me nervous is they only have that one non-stop fight. We are leaving on the night of July3 and ship leaves July5. Same thing for when we return, one non-stop flight. They have a few stop over ones though. My concern is that the larger airlines like Delta and Virgin share flights amongst each other so if one falls through they get you on another. I'm not sure if Jet Blue does that? At least that's not what it seemed when I was looking into it. So am I taking a bigger risk by flying with them? If their flight falls through am I the one that scrambles for a new flight? If they get me a new flight do I need to pay an additional amount as I'm sure getting a flight the day of would be more expensive? Sorry so many questions, I am kind of new to flying. 

I don't really understand your question.  If your flight cancels on JetBlue or has a long delay, I don't believe they will pay to place you on another airline.   If your flight cancels, for example, because of weather problems on the east coast, this will affect all airlines, making finding an availabile seat difficult, if not impossible for several days.

You are always free to purchase tickets on whatever airline has availability.  This can take hours, or minutes.   Impossible to predict.

46 minutes ago, styme123 said:

How easy is it to get a new flight quickly?

No way to answer that question. Lets say your flight has 200 people on it to AMS. No way on earth is there going to be 200 available seats on other airlines that day...everyone on your canceled flight will be fighting for whatever seats might be available.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, styme123 said:

I'm booked on cruise in July to Norway Fjords leaving from Amsterdam. I've only flow once internationally once before to London last summer with Delta and Virgin. I've heard of Jet Blue for a lot of local flights within the US but not international. We want to fly non-stop, they have the cheapest flight right now that leaves at a good time at night for us from JFK. What makes me nervous is they only have that one non-stop fight. We are leaving on the night of July3 and ship leaves July5. Same thing for when we return, one non-stop flight. They have a few stop over ones though. My concern is that the larger airlines like Delta and Virgin share flights amongst each other so if one falls through they get you on another. I'm not sure if Jet Blue does that? At least that's not what it seemed when I was looking into it. So am I taking a bigger risk by flying with them? If their flight falls through am I the one that scrambles for a new flight? If they get me a new flight do I need to pay an additional amount as I'm sure getting a flight the day of would be more expensive? Sorry so many questions, I am kind of new to flying. 

With so many flights flying full, I'm not sure that Delta (or any other airline) could easily put you on another flight.

However, JetBlue is also flying to other US cities.  I think they are also flying to Boston.  You are not totally out of luck. Getting from BOS to NYC is not difficult so this is another option.

In reality, if the problem is a weather related issue, all airlines will be affected and if it's a mechanical issue with the plane, this could happen to any airline.  It's not as if they have extra planes in reserve waiting to be used.

If there is a problem with a flight and you are at the airport, I have found that using the app or calling the airline's hot line to arrange alternative transportation during a problem is more effective than waiting at the gate with several hundred other screaming people.

Read post #8 on Delta ATL to LHR - Cruise Air - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

15 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I don't really understand your question.

Yes this is what I meant,  If your flight cancels on JetBlue or has a long delay, I don't believe they will pay to place you on another airline.  I was wondering if an airline would only put you on a flight with companies they share with? If there is a delay, do you always get a refund? Meaning, if they can book me on another flight with them but I don't want that flight am I forced to take it so I don't lose the money on my tickets with them? 

You are always free to purchase tickets on whatever airline has availability.  This can take hours, or minutes.   Impossible to predict.

10 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

With so many flights flying full, I'm not sure that Delta (or any other airline) could easily put you on another flight.

However, JetBlue is also flying to other US cities.  I think they are also flying to Boston.  You are not totally out of luck. Getting from BOS to NYC is not difficult so this is another option. Yes they have some flights from JFK to BOS. 

In reality, if the problem is a weather related issue, all airlines will be affected and if it's a mechanical issue with the plane, this could happen to any airline.  It's not as if they have extra planes in reserve waiting to be used.

If there is a problem with a flight and you are at the airport, I have found that using the app or calling the airline's hot line to arrange alternative transportation during a problem is more effective than waiting at the gate with several hundred other screaming people. Good point I'll download the app.

Read post #8 on Delta ATL to LHR - Cruise Air - Cruise Critic Community Read through the post thank you!

On 10/16/2023 at 11:54 PM, styme123 said:

I'm booked on cruise in July to Norway Fjords leaving from Amsterdam. I've only flow once internationally once before to London last summer with Delta and Virgin. I've heard of Jet Blue for a lot of local flights within the US but not international. We want to fly non-stop, they have the cheapest flight right now that leaves at a good time at night for us from JFK. What makes me nervous is they only have that one non-stop fight. We are leaving on the night of July3 and ship leaves July5. Same thing for when we return, one non-stop flight. They have a few stop over ones though. 

I'm confused.  Are you starting your trip from JFK?  What stopover routing are you seeing from JetBlue?  Right now they go nonstop from JFK to either LHR, AMS or CDG, but they don't fly between those 3 cities in Europe so I'm not sure what sort of stopover you're talking about. 

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I'm confused.  Are you starting your trip from JFK?  What stopover routing are you seeing from JetBlue?  Right now they go nonstop from JFK to either LHR, AMS or CDG, but they don't fly between those 3 cities in Europe so I'm not sure what sort of stopover you're talking about. 

Yes I'm starting from JFK. They have a non-stop from JFK to AMS but they also have some flights that stop for a layover at BOS and DUB before going on to AMS. Example below:

3:50pm
JFK
11:35am
AMS
13h 45m
B6 1118, B6 31
1 Stop: BOS
Layover: 4h 39m

On 10/16/2023 at 11:54 PM, styme123 said:

22 minutes ago, styme123 said:

Yes I'm starting from JFK. They have a non-stop from JFK to AMS but they also have some flights that stop for a layover at BOS and DUB before going on to AMS. Example below:

Ok, I re-read your OP, let's break it down:

1. In the event something happens with your nonstop flight, will JetBlue put you on another airline?  The answer is generally no, as they do not have any interline agreements with other airlines that I'm aware of.  In that sense, yes, it's a bigger risk to book an airline like JetBlue than one that is part of an airline alliance with multiple partners.  Alliance partners mean far more options to get you where you need to go.

2. Are you the one scrambling for a new flight?  Sort of.  JetBlue will attempt to rebook you.  But getting you to your cruise on time is not their concern.  Their obligation is simply to get you to where you were going.  They might reroute you, they might move you to a flight the next day, or the day after that, or possibly they would simply cancel your ticket and refund you.  So if you want to get to your cruise, you probably need to be proactive about finding an alternative.  If it's on JetBlue, they will generally move you at no additional cost, since it was the original flight that failed to get you there.

3. Going back to #2 for a moment, and the option of JetBlue to re-route you through BOS or DUB.   Check the times, but my guess is that the nonstop leaves later in the evening than the flight to BOS that connects to a BOS-AMS flight, which means that by the time you know there's an issue with your nonstop flight, it's probably too late to get on a flight to BOS and continue on because that plane has already left JFK.  Same for flights to DUB.   If you happen to find a later departure through BOS or DUB, be aware that everyone on your plane is probably trying to get those seats and there won't be nearly enough to accommodate everyone on your original flight.  In all likelihood, those accommodated first will be passengers who paid to fly Mint class, or high level Mosaic frequent flyers.  For a connection through Dublin, your connecting flight is going to be on Aer Lingus DUB-AMS, so that flight would also have to have room to accommodate you.

So what to do?  If it was me, and the nonstop was significantly cheaper, I'd book it.  But I'd book it a day or two earlier and enjoy a day or two in AMS if your flight leaves on time.  If you do have a delay, you now have extra time to get to AMS before your cruise.

47 minutes ago, styme123 said:

3:50pm
JFK
11:35am
AMS
13h 45m
B6 1118, B6 31
1 Stop: BOS

Note that this is not a flight that just stops in BOS.  It's a connecting itinerary. See the two flight numbers.  Same thing with going through DUB.

On 10/20/2023 at 6:39 PM, waterbug123 said:

So what to do?  If it was me, and the nonstop was significantly cheaper, I'd book it.  But I'd book it a day or two earlier and enjoy a day or two in AMS if your flight leaves on time.  If you do have a delay, you now have extra time to get to AMS before your cruise.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

• Like 1