Walk me off the ledge. GTY just received room number.

53 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

That's still the case with these because crew has access to that area.

To the extent crew are on that deck, they presumably are busy working.  Between their work and training, those should not be hanging out a lot and staring into your cabin.  Crew access in that area is probably small issue if it happens at all on a given cruise.  OTOH, the gates you suggest would mean another person with an aft cabin could invite a bunch of friends and family members to hang out all day, every day on “their huge aft party deck” and there goes your privacy for the entire cruise.  

16 hours ago, m-of-connor said:

The ship is sold out so if anyone has stayed in one of the aft balconies on deck 6 (Voyager of the Seas) please tell me what you thought of it.  It is the most non balcony, balcony room I have encountered.  Who knew, lesson learned. 

I have not stayed in one of the aft balconies, but I would be willing to bet that no matter how many folks express their thoughts about it, it will remain the same, as will your thoughts. As much as you would like it to morph into something else - caterpillar into butterfly - it will not. And you know what, that just ain't right. There are special masks that come with these cabins, but you have to request them. Put it on when sitting on the balcony and you are guaranteed not to see anything negative about your "non-balcony, balcony." 

We have booked many GTY cabins but will not book a GTY on Voyager class ships or Freedom class ships because of the aft facing balconies and suites on deck 6 and 7.  GTY cabins are not always the bad cabins as some like to claim as we have done a suite GTY and ended up with a 2 bedroom grand suite.

To the OP, always good to do a little research on the ship before rolling the dice on a GTY.  Quantum class ships also have cabins that a lot of people don't like.  They are obstructed balconies on deck 6 that look out at the side of lifeboats or at davits.  As you saw from the pictures posted earlier in this thread, you do have a really good view if you stand at the railing but if you sit, you are looking at a lifeboat.

21 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That area is supposedly used as a crew smoking area too.

I don’t think that is true of deck 6 aft.  

I do think there may be a crew rec area on deck 5 aft.   People who peek down from the edges of their corner aft balconies on 6 and 7 might see crew members relaxing below…I probably would give them their privacy.

It would not be my choice for an aft cabin, but I’d be fine if that were my assignment.  And if you always pick your balcony cabin on this series , you never have to worry about it.

Edited by Starry Eyes

On 10/17/2023 at 11:45 PM, m-of-connor said:

I know it is a gamble when you book GTY and I thought we would be happy with any balcony they gave us.  I could not be more wrong.  I have been patiently awaiting our room assignment dreaming of sitting on my balcony watching the waves and looking for the little flying fishes.  Well that is not going to be the case on this trip. Yes, we have a balcony, but I can't sit and watch the waves or look for flying fish. I get to look out on a deck, I can see the ocean from a distant but holly heck I never knew these rooms existed. 

The ship is sold out so if anyone has stayed in one of the aft balconies on deck 6 (Voyager of the Seas) please tell me what you thought of it.  It is the most non balcony, balcony room I have encountered.  Who knew, lesson learned. 

I think you will be happy.  We had one of those rooms on deck 6 as a suite gty and were RoyalUp to a GS.  I found a few of videos online and looked at pictures.  I know what you are saying about the view.  I was a little disconcerted at first but then was fine with it once I looked at the videos.  We had a suite gty that at the time was cheaper than a regular balcony so a no brainer to choose the gty.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser Girl said:

Honest question here: After looking at the videos of that type of cabin, what would happen if you jumped off your balcony to hang out on the deck on the other side? I realize there are no chairs out there, but could you just go look at the view? Would the crew come and reprimand you?

Nope off limits...cameras everywhere, you might get a visit or a call.  But definitely off limits.

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I doubt that. Crew spaces are on lower decks. 

Yep, that's underneath that expanse.  Strictly a no man's land out there.  There are no signs on the railing but our butler told us, off limits.  Any time you have to crawl over a railing to get somewhere, better not.😉

13 hours ago, budmeister said:

Well, you can still hear the ocean, test the weather, set your wet clothes out ot dry, and have nice place to sit if your cabin partner is napping with the lights off.

Beats an inside cabin by a mile.

Dont put your laundry out to dry on any balcony.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:53 AM, smokeybandit said:

Some people simply don't care where their room is or what the view is, too.

We are ones that don't give a hoot about the view.  I remember one trip to Universal Florida where I used a TA and I'd carefully researched where we requested a particular area for our room for the view plus shortest walk to the boat.  We got it.    We opened up the curtains and said, "Yup, that is nice view." We gave the view a Grand Canyon nod, and then closed the curtains never to open them again.   
The same trip we stayed someplace else not as nice and we opened the curtains and said, "View of the trash dumpster" and closed the curtains never to open them again.  
After that trip, I told the family we obviously don't care about the view.  

Although, I would like to not here deck chairs being moved around, or the base from some band at 11 pm.  

Edited by HappyTexan44
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:45 PM, m-of-connor said:

I have been patiently awaiting our room assignment dreaming of sitting on my balcony watching the waves and looking for the little flying fishes. 

Oh no, you can't do that on this trip? Easily remedied. While wearing that special mask and sitting on your balcony, sing the Oley Speaks song "On the Road to Mandalay" where the flying fishes play. 

If you sing it, they will come.  

6 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

how much savings is there on GTY?  curious how much they saved to get this agony

It varies by cruise. Sometimes it's not much. I usually don't do guarantee. But for my 4 night Utopia cruise it was $450 cheaper for a guarantee. I really don't care where we are so it was worth it for me.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

how much savings is there on GTY?  curious how much they saved to get this agony

Agony🤣….a cruise on Voyager of the Seas is not agony.  I’d be willing to go in a broom closet.

It varies, but on some cruises at some points in time the savings are substantial.  Also if balconies are nearly sold out, balcony gty may be the only balcony booking option available to the customer; take it or leave it.

When we booked Odyssey, a balcony gty was about half the price of any selected balconies (including the obstructed categories).  We were prepared for the worst cabin but ended up pleased with our assignments

Edited by Starry Eyes