🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Going to try and play it by ear but one thing on the list is to get a day ticket for the water taxi and cruise up and down the river to look at all the houses I will never own and yachts that I will never own also. May do some shopping along Las Olas Blvd. They have a Tommy Bahama store by the hotel. We may try and work our way over to the beach area. I need to not over stress the knee so a lot of walking will not be in the forecast.

Breakfast at a great diner down the street called the Floridian. I saw Crab Benedict on the menu. And then reservations at the Boathouse restaurant on the River for our anniversary celebration.

I see a Smugglers Old Fashion in your future.

Bulleit Bourbon | Simple Syrup

bitters | Orange Twist | filthy Cherry

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I see a Smugglers Old Fashion in your future.

Bulleit Bourbon | Simple Syrup

bitters | Orange Twist | filthy Cherry

Funny I was reading Martin Cate’s famous tiki book “Smugglers Cove” on the flight down. I love a good Old Fashioned. Surprisingly the Old Fashioned at the Cheesecake Factory was really good made with Angels Envy.

On 10/18/2023 at 3:59 PM, Sea Dog said:

As many of you know I am an obsessive over planner. I’m realistic that things can change and you do have to go with the flow but I like things organized and I like to see the big picture. I apparently have the same gene that our beloved @singinalot has in pre planning and organization. She does this nifty spreadsheet that I also adopted and helps me guide through the week. We’ve got a 3 night dining package so I looked at the menus for the MDR and saw which nights we want to eat there and what nights for specialty restaurants. Linda does not like sushi so I booked a sushi and sake lunch for me but leaves us with two specialty restaurants. So one we will eat twice at.

AdventureItinerary.thumb.jpeg.b49809dec559fbc5bbb819e30b51a21a.jpeg

So how high do you rank on the anal scale to have an Excel schedule on what to wear nightly?  Maybe you need to add an extra column to put down the color of socks/underwear nightly to make sure everything matches...🤪

Congrats on the anniversary. Time to party...

• Haha 8

Water taxi was it’s usual fun ride when we were in Ft Lauderdale. We boarded at Galleria Mall/Doubletree stop 7. Rode to Bahia Mar, asked when the next taxi going south would arrive, disembarked, walked across the street, and took a 2 mile walk along Ft Lauderdale beach. My two fully replaced knees can go that far now! 😀 You don’t have to walk that far though. Boarded the next taxi and rode to 15th St Fisheries. Watched the very well fed tarpon, had dinner, and the next taxi arrived just as we were ready to board. The Water Taxi does have a tracking feature to let you know where the taxis currently running are, but it wasn’t working at all. After dinner we headed north to the last taxi stop, then back to Galleria for the drive back to our resort. I hope your day is as enjoyable as ours was! 

we saw a lot of the temporary docks floating near Bahia Mar, ready to be set up for the boat show. They have most likely been set up by now and some may already be occupied by the boats brought in for the show. 

I hope you and Linda have a wonderful anniversary dinner at the Boathouse restaurant! Happy anniversary to both of you! 🥂🍾

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gambler said:

That cheesecake

looked yummy. Your plans for tomorrow sound wonderful. Enjoy the day.

It’s actually a cake and it’s huge.We should have split just one. We did get a to go box and we will eat the other halves tonight.

4 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

So how high do you rank on the anal scale to have an Excel schedule on what to wear nightly?  Maybe you need to add an extra column to put down the color of socks/underwear nightly to make sure everything matches...🤪

Congrats on the anniversary. Time to party...

Spoken like a true accountant. You are right I need more columns. 😉

3 hours ago, perfect match said:

Water taxi was it’s usual fun ride when we were in Ft Lauderdale. We boarded at Galleria Mall/Doubletree stop 7. Rode to Bahia Mar, asked when the next taxi going south would arrive, disembarked, walked across the street, and took a 2 mile walk along Ft Lauderdale beach. My two fully replaced knees can go that far now! 😀 You don’t have to walk that far though. Boarded the next taxi and rode to 15th St Fisheries. Watched the very well fed tarpon, had dinner, and the next taxi arrived just as we were ready to board. The Water Taxi does have a tracking feature to let you know where the taxis currently running are, but it wasn’t working at all. After dinner we headed north to the last taxi stop, then back to Galleria for the drive back to our resort. I hope your day is as enjoyable as ours was! 

we saw a lot of the temporary docks floating near Bahia Mar, ready to be set up for the boat show. They have most likely been set up by now and some may already be occupied by the boats brought in for the show. 

I hope you and Linda have a wonderful anniversary dinner at the Boathouse restaurant! Happy anniversary to both of you! 🥂🍾

Sounds like a good plan. Thank you for sharing. I don’t think I can do a fwo mile walk. Maybe after my knee replacement I can when we return in April.

• Like 1

The Mai Kai

IMG_2457.thumb.jpeg.027d2a2f53b5cfab58c664968ee8d08f.jpeg

One of the reasons we made reservations to come down to Fort Lauderdale early was to visit one of if not greatest tiki bar restaurants the historic Mai Kai.

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.da929293f814198114ccddc8163f193a.jpeg

The Mai-Kai, located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, is a legendary tiki bar and restaurant that has been captivating visitors with its Polynesian-themed experience since its opening in 1956. Founded by brothers Bob and Jack Thornton, the Mai-Kai quickly gained popularity and became an iconic destination. Inspired by their travels to the South Pacific, the Thorntons created a tropical oasis, complete with lush gardens, waterfalls, and authentic Polynesian decor. The Mai-Kai became renowned for its elaborate shows featuring hula dancers, fire performers, and live music, captivating guests with its immersive atmosphere. Over the years, the Mai-Kai has been recognized for its exceptional cocktails, such as the famous Mai Tai, served in tropical-themed vessels. Despite changing times, the Mai-Kai has remained a beloved institution, preserving its unique charm and enchanting visitors with its timeless allure

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.0ce2bc167aba655d84b8ba2a0be3c5eb.jpeg

My first visit was as a kid in the late 1960’s. It was my first introduction to tiki and I was memorized by the decor, the music and food. I remember thinking how adult I was to be sipping a Roy Rogers along side my parents drinking exotic cocktails from a ceramic rum barrel mug.

IMG_2458.jpeg.846cfeac5c5cb398cdef32b9a203f1fe.jpeg

Unfortunately the Mai Kai was severely damaged in 2020. Torrential rain and a malfunctioning sprinkler system resulted in a complete roof collapse over the venue's kitchen, marking the establishment's first extended closure. Now new owners have bought it and are rebuilding and restoring it to its former glory.

IMG_2143.jpeg.1c1c0adba640db682d9bbfac10ce36f5.jpeg

IMG_2454.jpeg.ba9f7d25c5084eb1f3e904825e40981e.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg.1c8ce99bbd207e6cf3e8a3e5353d553c.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg.2fb5acde3413b49c2d062367fd9f2fea.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg.70cda932ee7f296a8ef29f3fc685afc2.jpeg

Unfortunately they are behind schedule and it will not be open yet. I am hopeful that it will be open upon our return to Fort Lauderdale in April of 2024 for our Celebrity sailing on Beyond. So until then, A Hui Hoa.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. 

Loved doing the water taxi, when we were in FLL. 
We were lucky to have the captain of our boat give a description of famous houses. We rode it as the waters were calm and abundant with other vessels. 

Cannot wait till next year to do it again. 

Have fun. 
Be safe 

P.S.  this will be the time and place to stay hydrated. Buy their water and pop. Save the alcohol for dry land. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

One of the reasons we made reservations to come down to Fort Lauderdale early was to visit one of if not greatest tiki bar restaurants the historic Mai Kai.

I think the Polynesian / Tiki places were popular in the 70’s and 80’s.  In the mid to late 70’s, I was traveling to Hawaii and touring the islands every other year (75, 77, 79), and got hooked on those elaborate shows.   I think Hawaii 5-0, and later, Magnum, peaked many people’s interest.  

And when you think of Pittsburgh, what comes to mind?  Polynesian shows, of course!  They use to have a place in Monroeville called the Mauna Loa that did dinner and a Polynesian show, complete with Tiki mugs.  I would go there to get my fix between Hawaii trips.  

I hope they get the Mai Kai open before your next trip.   

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

@jmh2006 @Momof3gurlz @mo&fran @Sea Dog

Just waiting to throw the toiletry bag there in the morning…ready to leave for SeaTac at 5:30am tomorrow!!  IMG_4367.thumb.jpeg.c06743c587fb15c14352e75e90c5ca9e.jpeg

Although our goodest girl Stevie Nixx isn’t too excited…she always seems to sense when we’re leaving.

IMG_4368.thumb.jpeg.5e2c716156beacb8aadc728fac08b765.jpeg

Safe travels to you and @jmh2006!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Going to try and play it by ear but one thing on the list is to get a day ticket for the water taxi and cruise up and down the river to look at all the houses I will never own and yachts that I will never own also. May do some shopping along Las Olas Blvd. They have a Tommy Bahama store by the hotel. We may try and work our way over to the beach area. I need to not over stress the knee so a lot of walking will not be in the forecast.

Breakfast at a great diner down the street called the Floridian. I saw Crab Benedict on the menu. And then reservations at the Boathouse restaurant on the River for our anniversary celebration.

We’re trying out the water taxi today too, maybe we’ll see you somewhere along the way. Enjoy your day & take it easy on that knee. 

• Like 4

Breakfast at the Floridian 

Based on some reviews I read we decided to have breakfast at the Floridian.

IMG_2464.thumb.jpeg.002fd050ef2b92a22074f62baefb10a0.jpeg

just down Las Olas Blvd about 5 or 6 blocks but because of my knee we took an Uber. Cost with tip was $8.

IMG_2465.thumb.jpeg.ef315142d7245eb7b2c8536ef1c177f9.jpeg

nice place With pictures of celebrities on the walls.

IMG_2466.thumb.jpeg.bdb6068be14d7908b2474dcb083efbf5.jpeg

IMG_2467.thumb.jpeg.f1b90370c4094108efb3217a1afe35d3.jpeg

Great menu and what did I see? A Crab Cake Benedict.IMG_2468.thumb.jpeg.3cc8636f657bdc74d178d8a9b5b511b8.jpeg

I love drinking a Diet Coke in the morning instead of coffee. I guess I like something cold. They served a nice big glass of it.

IMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.16cec66d6bd51c152f56aec3430aff6c.jpeg

Crab Cakes Benedict. This was amazing. Eggs cooked perfect with a great hollandaise sauce. Served with potatoes. The crab cakes were incredible.

IMG_2469.thumb.jpeg.2a9dbb91ab7b673ceb6d242addff1a4c.jpeg

Linda had a traditional breakfast with eggs over easy, French Toast, bacon and toast. She said it was good.

I highly recommend the Floridian for breakfast for any pre cruise stay.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

More Riverside Hotel

IMG_2448.thumb.jpeg.63027f78e9eb19a32929ddadbc49c14d.jpeg

I really like this hotel. Our room is great as you saw in my pics last night. Other notables.

IMG_2462.thumb.jpeg.be7187359deb93ef7edb04215765461a.jpeg

Nice closet space. Plus an iron.

IMG_2460.thumb.jpeg.ef524bafc9c9478c7d9c86aec823ca05.jpeg

TV has AV input panel 

IMG_2463.thumb.jpeg.56fdf37c7bb1f7ea97dc3994bd382e06.jpeg

Nice little table

But here is what I really love this great wrap around balcony.

Highly recommend anyone to stay in Room 1031 in the Executive Tower Riverside Hotel.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

7:30 - Sitting in the Alaska Lounge at SeaTac with a half hour before boarding.  The first “should I or shouldn’t I?” of the trip 🤣

IMG_4370.thumb.jpeg.88c16d68519e36377ec622e610b4eac5.jpeg

IMG_4370.jpeg

I spy Knob Creek. It’s always 5 o’clock somewhere.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

7:30 - Sitting in the Alaska Lounge at SeaTac with a half hour before boarding.  The first “should I or shouldn’t I?” of the trip 🤣

IMG_4370.thumb.jpeg.88c16d68519e36377ec622e610b4eac5.jpeg

IMG_4370.jpeg

Better have one or 2 it's a long flight............

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Time for some time on the Water Taxi. $60 for two all day till 10 pm tonight.

IMG_2484.thumb.jpeg.64e9cc129a7d9122ea0c67822fe1b0c7.jpeg

IMG_2485.thumb.jpeg.987e904c7e170872e7a7788ad0fcfacc.jpeg

Perfect weather for touring today, cloudy and overcast, and sunny and warm for tomorrow's sail away.

• Like 3