Luminae "rib eye"

39august

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've been searching around and what I received when I ordered a Rib Eye Steak (April May of this year) was actually an Eye Round Steak -   Very little flavor, on the tough side an never ordered since

image.png.1e092d638d9ddaeeeba342adfe4b6922.png

I remember your review very well, as it was confirmation of what we had on Apex just before you in the Caribbean, and the year earlier on Edge.  Eye Round Steak roasted, is definitely what it is.  The fat lines got tougher as the meat sat, too.   At the time, the kids menu filet, which we often had on the table because of our child's order, was superior -- as you well know.  Thank you all of your sharing..  

Does anyone know if they ever serve filet in Luminae? I don’t eat steak often, but when I do I don’t enjoy fatty meats but want something juicy and tender. Filet is my go to but I haven’t seen any menus offer it besides Specialty restaurants that I’ve looked at at least. 

32 minutes ago, Shellyd22 said:

Does anyone know if they ever serve filet in Luminae? I don’t eat steak often, but when I do I don’t enjoy fatty meats but want something juicy and tender. Filet is my go to but I haven’t seen any menus offer it besides Specialty restaurants that I’ve looked at at least. 

Filet is normally served for dinner on the 1st night menu, or at least that has been our experience. 

• Thanks 1

Filet has been on one lunch menu in Luminae in our past couple of cruises, as well as the once dinner menu as I mentioned above. Re: picture. Not everyone lives on their cell phone. Thus, no pics from me. 

Edited by 39august
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:39 AM, 39august said:

Beware. This is NOT a rib eye steak. Frankly, I don't know what it actually is. It is a thick chunk of very lean meat. No fat nor marbling to be seen. It was very tough. This was on Equinox. Maybe it is different on other ships. But if on EQ in Luminae, do NOT expect a steak if you order this piece of meat. I gave up and ate some side dishes that my great waiter had brought us. 

Plenty of less than scrupulous restaurants around the world actually serve Chuck Eye steaks and call them ribeyes. Why.....because it's half the cost and most people can't tell the difference. I'm not saying Celebrity does this but it does happen. I could also simply be the fact the cooks on Celebrity didn't season or cook it very well. On our last cruise in Luminae a few weeks ago, the steaks were all pretty tasty and with the exception of a dry filet. 

1 minute ago, neverlaysup said:

Plenty of less than scrupulous restaurants around the world actually serve Chuck Eye steaks and call them ribeyes. Why.....because it's half the cost and most people can't tell the difference. I'm not saying Celebrity does this but it does happen. I could also simply be the fact the cooks on Celebrity didn't season or cook it very well. On our last cruise in Luminae a few weeks ago, the steaks were all pretty tasty and with the exception of a dry filet. 

dh will not be happy with a poor steak in Fine Cute..I will look for a good quality fish   

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've been searching around and what I received when I ordered a Rib Eye Steak (April May of this year) was actually an Eye Round Steak -   Very little flavor, on the tough side an never ordered since

When we have our half cow done at the butcher I tell them to grind all that up as hamburger.  Makes a great hamburger but definitely not a good steak or even a roast.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

dh will not be happy with a poor steak in Fine Cute..I will look for a good quality fish   

I’ve eaten there once and although my steak looked good, it had zero seasoning and was tasteless. This was only my experience and I know others love it there so go and form your own opinion. I believe in giving all restaurants at least two chances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Just remember, both accidentally and purposefully, fish gets mislabeled more often than beef.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

good identifier.   Eye of the Round Steak needs to seriously be  marinated in order to help break down fibres or the other way stores “tenderize” is run through a tenderizer machine    Me, I don’t buy it and if I order a Ribeye, I want a Ribeye 

11 hours ago, bnurick said:

Can you still get a filet mignon any night in Luminae? The classics menu?

I was told by my waiter that they have two qualities of filet. The one you get any time other than ‘filet night’ is the lesser quality one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

I was told by my waiter that they have two qualities of filet. The one you get any time other than ‘filet night’ is the lesser quality one.

From what I see on the menu the only other filet you can get any night is the one for purchase. I would hope that would be the higher quality.

30 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Looks like a proper filet, and dang, now my mouth is watering.

Here is a picture of the file from Tuscan Grill from the same cruise.  

IMG_8759.jpeg.faf13004db12e16d5217dc8213213e09.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg.e179761d8e198ad542c903f6f2616e9f.jpeg

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 4:58 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Were just off Eclipse Oct 1st. Your photo is what our rib eye looked like in Luminae. About half that thickness and very tough.