Reflection Alcove Question

screwsmcernst

We are sailing with family over Christmas, and are thinking of reserving one of the alcoves.  we were reading the highlights and it says smart casual.  

Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants or jeans, and stylish top or button-down. No shorts, bathing suits, or cover-ups.

Is this really enforced?  Are they serious about no shorts?  It seems ridiculous to be on a ship in the Caribbean sitting outside and shorts are not allowed.

It is outdoors and open so I have definitely seen folks in their casual daytime clothes - definitely shorts, swim suit coverups, etc.  The rule you quoted actually applies to speciality restaurants which was attached to those alcoves as well.

Edited by SbbquilterUT
  • Like 1

I would think that the men would wear a tuxedo and the women expensive evening gowns as shown in the promos, and also being under 30.    🙄🤗😱

There is no dress code.  It is an area on, and viewing the lawn,  and  those in alcoves across from you.     I don’t understand why anyone would pay for an area to look at the lawn.  There are many areas with chairs that have the  view of the lawn and sea for free 

I go on a ship for the sea and that is what I want to see.   I can look at grass at home but not the sea 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

this is my first celebrity cruise   but we have done 33 other cruises.   Fashion police are out on this cruiselines here and on facebook.    I just dont know who to believe.   People tell me no shorts in the evening at all    others say its ok.        We wanted to do NOTHING at all on one of the port days.  no reservations for anything--   come and go as we please.     eat at the buffet     But hearing about no shorts at night time-- kinda puts a damper on that.   How true is that ?  if i am walking around with shorts is security going to take us back to the cabin?  

32 minutes ago, serene56 said:

this is my first celebrity cruise   but we have done 33 other cruises.   Fashion police are out on this cruiselines here and on facebook.    I just dont know who to believe.   People tell me no shorts in the evening at all    others say its ok.        We wanted to do NOTHING at all on one of the port days.  no reservations for anything--   come and go as we please.     eat at the buffet     But hearing about no shorts at night time-- kinda puts a damper on that.   How true is that ?  if i am walking around with shorts is security going to take us back to the cabin?  

OMG - No shorts rule only in the Main Dining Rooms at night

I could never understand having to wear a suit or tuxedo for formal night.   I am in the Caribbean.   I take a shower and still sweating when I get out.   Dress up in a suit.  Go to dinner and they serve the messiest dinners  there is, Lobster.   If it isn’t messy why do many places give you a bib?   Then on some cruise lines after dinner everyone starts waving their napkin above their head flinging all of the scraps on it around the dining room.   Classy. 

Years ago on formal night I would dress in a suit.  Walk into the dining room and take off my jacket.  After dinner go to the cabin and change into something more comfortable.  

People would say if you don’t want to  get dressed dine in the buffet.  OK.  I go to the buffet dressed in shorts.  After dinner am I now supposed to wear a suit to sit in a dark theater or at some lounge?   I don’t think so.  

Now it is chic night.   Whatever that means.  Here is the evolution of fashion.  

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alexey-navolokin-5420563_innovation-ai-fashion-ugcPost-7118239604528275456-TeLY? utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

If this is the crowd X is after they need to change their dress code.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

To return to the topic, we booked the Alcove because we had a ton of OBC. We live in Florida but don't like to spend a lot of time in the sun. We like the Solarium and don't miss looking at the ocean for a few hours.We enjoyed the Alcove and felt we got our money's worth. It was fun watching a movie -- "Casablanca".  It was a port day so the cost was a little less. And there's no dress code.

Edited by CruisinNole
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, CruisinNole said:

To return to the topic, we booked the Alcove because we had a ton of OBC. We live in Florida but don't like to spend a lot of time in the sun. We like the Solarium and don't miss looking at the ocean for a few hours.We enjoyed the Alcove and felt we got our money's worth. It was fun watching a movie -- "Casablanca".  It was a port day so the cost was a little less. And there's no dress code.

We have a lot of OBC as well.  That is why we thought it might be nice to have a spot where our group could meet up on and off throughout the day.  MIL & FIL will have a place to spend some time without hunting for seats on the pool deck.

• Like 1

I've done an Alcove on Silly and Reflection on port days.  Both, in my humble opinion, were a total waste of money.  My DH and friends who travel with me have zero appreciation for the cost and privilege to sit in an alcove.   It's basically a place to sit with a view of the alcoves across the lawn from you.  It's boring........we get better views from our balcony.   

We enjoy the alcove when traveling with family. It is a nice gathering place during a day when our group is doing their own thing and then meets at the alcove as desired. Nice place for lunch with the young grandkid too.

• Like 1

@screwsmcernst, we booked Alcove on Equinox. Had a lot of OBC to use up. Not a great view but the kids played Bocce ball and with a big group it works great as a base during the day, 

We booked it on our San Juan day which counted as a Port Day so it was cheaper.With a 3pm arrival , it actually was more like a sea day and space around main pool was hard to get for 8 people, 

No dress code at all. We were in swimwear , wraps , shorts etc. Great service. Good value imo. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 7:55 AM, dock said:

@screwsmcernst, we booked Alcove on Equinox. Had a lot of OBC to use up. Not a great view but the kids played Bocce ball and with a big group it works great as a base during the day, 

We booked it on our San Juan day which counted as a Port Day so it was cheaper.With a 3pm arrival , it actually was more like a sea day and space around main pool was hard to get for 8 people, 

No dress code at all. We were in swimwear , wraps , shorts etc. Great service. Good value imo. 

Thanks.  That is exactly what we are doing.  Using it as our base for the whole family on Christmas Day in Cozumel.  BIL & SIL are going to reserve one as well.  Hopefully, they will be close to each other.  That way more room for 14 people to come and go throughout the day.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was looking forward to a Cabana on the Edge on my last sailing, but weather did not cooperate, so it was cancelled. I noticed on the Edge the Cabanas included water, a bucket of beer, a choice of bottle of alcohol, and food menu including the Luminae burger. For an upcoming sailing on the Equinox, I was interested in booking an Alcove but I see that the offerings are totally different. Can anyone confirm what food, if any, is included, as well as any beverages (outside of a drinks package)? It doesn't seem like great value on the Solstice class of ships as it is on the Edge...

We had water and a light lunch food menu included with the Alcove.    We had fruit plates, cookies, and sandwiches. 

Sadly, the service was so poor, it was almost easier to go to the buffet and get food for ourselves.  A few times, no one answered our phone calls from the alcove even though we could see them standing around the corner doing nothing.  We often went to the sunset bar and got our own beverages.  

I hope if you do reserve an Alcove, that you get far better service than we did.