Tips needed for an Aussie cruising O/S

Hi all,

It's been a long time for me since I cruised from an overseas destination, and I've never cruised from a port in the US. I'm currently looking at some cruises over the Dec/Jan break.

Is there anything I especially need to consider, besides the ludicrous airfare? I'm looking at Princess and NCL at this stage. I believe gratuities are included on NCL after reading the fine print. How about Princess? Is there anything I'm missing or should look out for? I'm looking at the packages that include drinks so won't be expecting a hefty onboard account.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by mum and son

When travelling afar, it is a nice idea to cover most of your onboard account with a prepaid drink package. Elite priority will take care of some laundry and lighten your luggage a bit.

Princess $US cruises requires a daily gratuity to be charged to your onboard account. For the US passengers, the premier package includes daily grats. This does not apply to Australians - we get a discounted version of premier that doesn't include grats. However, it will be possible to prepay them, but they won't be included in your advertised fare.

When booking NCL in Australia, much like Royal & Celebrity too, they don't trust us to leave them on, so they are added during the booking process. NCL will often have promos with a varied combo of OBC, tour credit, prepaid grats, internet, specialty dining, drinks packages.

We have cruised US with Celebrity, Princess & NCL. All were great. Priority boarding & laundry on Princess were an added bonus, but not significant enough to make up our mind. We chose the itinerary that lined-up best.

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Given that's their winter where would the cruises be going to? The Caribbean?

Yes, there are quite a few on offer. One option to Bermuda ex NY but I'm conscious of the temps as my last visit to NY arriving Jan 1st 2018 was during the "arctic freeze". The rest are options from Fort Lauderdale. One does a partial Panama Canal transit. 

With the prices being asked for a decent cabin on the cruises out of Aus during the same time I'm looking to spread my wings a little further afield this time. There's a great priced cruise out of Singapore as well but I've been to all the ports so it's not quite as attractive to me, unless I end up going solo.

Edited by mum and son

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Princess $US cruises requires a daily gratuity to be charged to your onboard account. For the US passengers, the premier package includes daily grats. This does not apply to Australians - we get a discounted version of premier that doesn't include grats. However, it will be possible to prepay them, but they won't be included in your advertised fare.

When booking NCL in Australia, much like Royal & Celebrity too, they don't trust us to leave them on, so they are added during the booking process. NCL will often have promos with a varied combo of OBC, tour credit, prepaid grats, internet, specialty dining, drinks packages.

All very handy info, thanks Geoff. The NCL deals I'm looking at do offer all the extras so it makes them look good knowing they also include grats. I've only done NCL once, in Europe in a 2 bedroom Haven suite so this would be a very different cruise from that one. If going it alone I'll consider their solo Studio option.

My loyalty to Princess is still hanging in there and, despite having two wonderful cruises on Celebrity out of Singapore and Hong Kong, I'm still shackled by the status perk of free laundry 😁 and tend not to consider other lines as options.

Again, thanks for the info provided. 

This year or next?  Are you looking at one of the newer ships for NCL or Princess?

I can see that Sun Princess is out of Ft Lauderdale next year, and Norwegian Viva out of Miami this year. For me, cruising from Florida is a bit like a who's who of new glitzy cruise ships that may never make it down here.

• Like 1

We did a Mexican Riviera cruise at that time of year.  San Diego, down the west coast of Mexico, and back.  The advantage for you would be that travel to the west coast is much shorter and (presumably) less expensive.  San Diego is less than a 1-hour flight from San Francisco or Los Angeles.  This disadvantage is that, if you have your heart set on the Caribbean, this just won't work for you.

As others pointed out, the US has a tipping (gratuity) culture that can feel foreign to Australians.  You'll need to make sure what expenses and services will require further payment in the form of tips, both on and off the ship.

8 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

As others pointed out, the US has a tipping (gratuity) culture that can feel foreign to Australians.  You'll need to make sure what expenses and services will require further payment in the form of tips, both on and off the ship.

... and it is a bit of a minefield knowing who to tip and what percentage.

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

... and it is a bit of a minefield knowing who to tip and what percentage.

One of my favorite stories is when an Australian friend was visiting me when I lived in San Diego.  We were at the zoo and she had forgot her sunglasses, so we went in a store to buy some.  They were priced at $15.00 so she gave them $15.00.  They said, no, with tax, these are $16.16.  Our next stop was to get something to drink.  The drink was priced at $1.00, so she gave them $2.00.  They said, this is only $1.00 and gave back her other dollar bill.  Sunglasses are taxed, food is not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

One of my favorite stories is when an Australian friend was visiting me when I lived in San Diego.  We were at the zoo and she had forgot her sunglasses, so we went in a store to buy some.  They were priced at $15.00 so she gave them $15.00.  They said, no, with tax, these are $16.16.  Our next stop was to get something to drink.  The drink was priced at $1.00, so she gave them $2.00.  They said, this is only $1.00 and gave back her other dollar bill.  Sunglasses are taxed, food is not.

The make it easier here with taxes woven into the price. Sunglasses have GST included, some drinks don't have GST.

I agree, it is hard to keep track of, so you tend to hand over larger denominations to make sure you have covered the cost. All those dollar bills in change get used up as tips, but the pile of pennies seems to grow every day no matter how hard you try to use them up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I agree, it is hard to keep track of, so you tend to hand over larger denominations to make sure you have covered the cost. All those dollar bills in change get used up as tips, but the pile of pennies seems to grow every day no matter how hard you try to use them up.

Some stores have jars where you can dump the pennies, who knows what they do with them or you can leave them for your steward! I've seen a few empty rooms with bowls of pennies left behind. Why they are still in circulation is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Some stores have jars where you can dump the pennies, who knows what they do with them or you can leave them for your steward! I've seen a few empty rooms with bowls of pennies left behind. 

Hahaha, I think the steward might be insulted.  On a trip to San Francisco, a beggar had a sign with the final line "no pennies please" - you can't even give them away!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just returned from a Princess cruise that started in the US and travelled to Australia. So gratuities were not included in the quoted price. All onboard prices were in US dollars. Purchasing a drink involved an extra charge of 18% gratuity. The staff gratuities cost was $17 US per person per day, or about $A26. This was added automatically to your on-board account each day.

I spoke to a woman who had a major problem with a non functioning shower in her cabin. She had complained several times, but they neither fixed it, nor offered her a change of cabin. As a result, she decided to cancel the gratuities. I asked her how that went down with guest services, and she said they were perfectly polite, did not ask the reason, and removed the charges in about five seconds. She had the feeling that it was a common request.

21 hours ago, arxcards said:

This year or next?  Are you looking at one of the newer ships for NCL or Princess?

I can see that Sun Princess is out of Ft Lauderdale next year, and Norwegian Viva out of Miami this year. For me, cruising from Florida is a bit like a who's who of new glitzy cruise ships that may never make it down here.

Actually looking at this December. We just got more serious about it tonight and found an 11 night cruise on the NCL Gem out of Miami at a time that can work for both of us. Being over Xmas and New Year the cruise is a little more pricey but my travel buddy is ex-Qantas so we are looking at flying standby. With all of the options into the States we should be ok.

I'm not over-excited about the Gem, but I've been on the Jade so have a rough idea of what to expect. I'll keep looking for a better ship but NCL looks to be offering the best deals for "almost all inclusive" fares and we really need an itinerary that excites us. We would like to try the Viva!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

We did a Mexican Riviera cruise at that time of year.  San Diego, down the west coast of Mexico, and back.  The advantage for you would be that travel to the west coast is much shorter and (presumably) less expensive.  San Diego is less than a 1-hour flight from San Francisco or Los Angeles.  This disadvantage is that, if you have your heart set on the Caribbean, this just won't work for you.

Thanks - I'll take a look at San Diego, it sounds like a great option. My heart is not set on any particular destination, I'm just keen to cruise internationally again. 

I'm a notorious over-tipper when I travel. When in doubt , tip too much!!

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I've just returned from a Princess cruise that started in the US and travelled to Australia. So gratuities were not included in the quoted price. All onboard prices were in US dollars. Purchasing a drink involved an extra charge of 18% gratuity. The staff gratuities cost was $17 US per person per day, or about $A26. This was added automatically to your on-board account each day.

I spoke to a woman who had a major problem with a non functioning shower in her cabin. She had complained several times, but they neither fixed it, nor offered her a change of cabin. As a result, she decided to cancel the gratuities. I asked her how that went down with guest services, and she said they were perfectly polite, did not ask the reason, and removed the charges in about five seconds. She had the feeling that it was a common request.

I think even with the included drink packages, and included gratuities I'm looking at I'll still have to pay the service charge on drinks and purchases over and above??

6 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Actually looking at this December. We just got more serious about it tonight and found an 11 night cruise on the NCL Gem out of Miami at a time that can work for both of us. Being over Xmas and New Year the cruise is a little more pricey but my travel buddy is ex-Qantas so we are looking at flying standby. With all of the options into the States we should be ok.

I'm not over-excited about the Gem, but I've been on the Jade so have a rough idea of what to expect. I'll keep looking for a better ship but NCL looks to be offering the best deals for "almost all inclusive" fares and we really need an itinerary that excites us. We would like to try the Viva!

Itinerary should win. It will be the reward for spending so many hours in the air. I hope your travel buddy isn't Alan Joyce 🤣

Our NCL's have been on Jewel & Pearl, and I would be happy to cruise on either again. Viva has a fresh look to it though.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Itinerary should win. It will be the reward for spending so many hours in the air. I hope your travel buddy isn't Alan Joyce 🤣

Our NCL's have been on Jewel & Pearl, and I would be happy to cruise on either again. Viva has a fresh look to it though.

If I was cruising with Alan I wouldn't be deciding between inside and obstructed oceanview (I hope)! 

8 hours ago, mum and son said:

You might like to reconsider flying standby at that busy time of year.  My neighbour is married to a Qantas pilot and she refused to fly on standby, in the end, after lots of horror experiences waiting for an available flight overseas.

12 hours ago, mum and son said:

I think even with the included drink packages, and included gratuities I'm looking at I'll still have to pay the service charge on drinks and purchases over and above??

If you order a drink that's over the basic allowed price cap, you pay the difference in price (NOT the whole higher price) and they add the 18% gratuity to that extra price only.

On 10/22/2023 at 11:17 PM, mum and son said:

With the prices being asked for a decent cabin on the cruises out of Aus during the same time I'm looking to spread my wings a little further afield this time. There's a great priced cruise out of Singapore as well but I've been to all the ports so it's not quite as attractive to me, unless I end up going solo.

Have a look at cruises from Hololulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego around Christmas.  There aren't many, but they are available, mostly going to Mexico.

The airfares are going to be less to the US west coast, and shorter, of course.

I agree that I wouldn't think of getting a stand by fare in Peak Peak Christmas/New Year season.

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

You might like to reconsider flying standby at that busy time of year.  My neighbour is married to a Qantas pilot and she refused to fly on standby, in the end, after lots of horror experiences waiting for an available flight overseas.

Thanks, yes, I do understand the risks. This is why we're looking at US cruises because we believe if we give ourselves enough days prior to the cruise that we should be able to get on a plane somewhere out of Aus to somewhere in the US. It depends a lot on status - years of service, why you're travelling etc. The A380 flies Syd-LA so it seems a reasonable backup and all flights are currently wide open. We can actually wait and book the cruise last minute too so that's our safety net.

We'll pay for the domestic flights we need. My friend actually worked in the international ticketing area at Qantas so understands the system pretty well. I have no issues with the return flight as it wouldn't matter to me if I was offloaded in Timbuktoo, I just need to get there pre-cruise!