Wine allowed?

Ovsa

If you have a alcoholic beverage package, you can bring as many bottles of wine as you like and there is no corkage fee. If you do not have a beverage package, you can still bring as many bottles of wine as you like, but is subject to a corkage fee of $15 per 750ml bottle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ovsa said:

Hello.

New to NCL, just wondering if they allow the usual 2 bottles of wine per stateroom when initially boarding?  What is thier policy on that?  

Thanks

Complete details are in the FAQ section on NCL.com.  Lots of other good to know info available for new folks also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ovsa said:

Hello.

New to NCL, just wondering if they allow the usual 2 bottles of wine per stateroom when initially boarding?  What is thier policy on that?  

Thanks

NCL has never allowed you to bring a "usual 2 bottles of wine per stateroom".

If you have a beverage package, you are allowed to bring as many bottles of wine onboard as you want, no charge. If you do not have a Beverage Package, you are charged corkage regardless of where you consume the wine in accordance with the policy below. 

The wine need to be hand carried onto the ship and checked at the desk at Security. 

The best advice is that if you have the Beverage Package, don't lug around bottles of wine. Enjoy what ever wines are included, for free, with the Beverage Package. 

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/can-i-bring-alcohol-board

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL has never allowed you to bring a "usual 2 bottles of wine per stateroom".

If you have a beverage package, you are allowed to bring as many bottles of wine onboard as you want, no charge. If you do not have a Beverage Package, you are charged corkage regardless of where you consume the wine in accordance with the policy below. 

The wine need to be hand carried onto the ship and checked at the desk at Security. 

The best advice is that if you have the Beverage Package, don't lug around bottles of wine. Enjoy what ever wines are included, for free, with the Beverage Package. 

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/can-i-bring-alcohol-board

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Unless of course you prefer to drink better wines and have bottles in your stateroom. I always brought on bottles of wine and paid corkage even when I actually paid for the beverage package! Nice to bring to the MDR’s since I’ve found it’s almost impossible to get a refill.

• Like 1

We will be taking a few bottles, even with upgraded drinks. It will be nice to have something in the cabin, relaxing and being on the balcony and not having to head out to the bar and schlep drinks back. With no corkage fee, why not. 

• Like 4

First time on NCL and have beverage pkg. Planning on bringing a bottle of wine in carry-on bag and reading above, it says that you must also stop by security if you do this. Not accustomed to this step on our usual cruise line so wondering about how long this extra step takes. Perhaps I misunderstood so can someone explain the procedure to this first time gal.

5 minutes ago, kittymamma said:

First time on NCL and have beverage pkg. Planning on bringing a bottle of wine in carry-on bag and reading above, it says that you must also stop by security if you do this. Not accustomed to this step on our usual cruise line so wondering about how long this extra step takes. Perhaps I misunderstood so can someone explain the procedure to this first time gal.

Takes very little time, you will go to another table, and they’ll note it.

22 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Nice to bring to the MDR’s since I’ve found it’s almost impossible to get a refill.

Never had a problem getting wine refills in the MDR. They're usually back to fill the glasses before they're empty. Also, a few times they left the bottle on the table "for our convenience". (As well as theirs...saves them the trip).

Edited by schmoopie17

50 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Never had a problem getting wine refills in the MDR. They're usually back to fill the glasses before they're empty. Also, a few times they left the bottle on the table "for our convenience". (As well as theirs...saves them the trip).

That was not our experience and it was before Covid and cutbacks. I started ordering 2 at the start of the meal. The bar service elsewhere was fine except maybe more traffic at the pool. 

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

That was not our experience and it was before Covid and cutbacks. I started ordering 2 at the start of the meal. The bar service elsewhere was fine except maybe more traffic at the pool. 

This was on our last two cruises post-Covid, That's why we say here on CC..."YMMV".

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I've had this happen once, where bar service was so slow.  On the other side I've had somewhat the opposite happen.  We really liked the NCL branded blend of wine.  At the end we asked for and received a full unopened bottle to take back to our room.  As part of the beverage package since the two of us had two room keys and a bottle provided 4 glasses they could justify it.  

On 10/24/2023 at 11:12 AM, mjkacmom said:

Unless of course you prefer to drink better wines and have bottles in your stateroom. I always brought on bottles of wine and paid corkage even when I actually paid for the beverage package! Nice to bring to the MDR’s since I’ve found it’s almost impossible to get a refill.

We have the upgraded beverage package as well.  I'm toying with bringing 2 or 3 bottles from home for the reasons you stated.  We like the upgraded beverage package because of  the top shelf liquors.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, could you please be so kind and confirm if on a recent cruise you bring two bottles of wine, not being them confiscated at check in process?

I have read the policy on NCL website but also have been reading contradictory experiences recently.

We be leaving from Miami port.

Thank you very much!

8 minutes ago, twopizz said:

Hi, could you please be so kind and confirm if on a recent cruise you bring two bottles of wine, not being them confiscated at check in process?

I have read the policy on NCL website but also have been reading contradictory experiences recently.

We be leaving from Miami port.

Thank you very much!

You can certainly bring wine on board. There is not, nor has there ever been, a 2 bottle rule on NCL. You can bring on as much as you want.

If you have the beverage package there is no charge. Otherwise it is $25 per bottle. 

I have never heard of anyone not being able to bring wine onboard (although if they refused to pay - without the beverage package - then I suppose that would happen).

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

If you have the beverage package there is no charge. Otherwise it is $25 per bottle. 

Minor correction, Keith.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To clarify further, the "security desk" referred to is just another table after they check all carryon where you go the 10 steps and they give you receipt for the fee on your bottles, you sign it and it gets added to your OBC. They put a sticker on your bottles and you're on your way. 1-5 minutes, depending on whether there is a line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A similar, but different question. Why doesn't NCL (or other lines) let you bring liquor on board if you have a beverage package? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Every drink from your own bottle is one less drink from the bar on them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

A similar, but different question. Why doesn't NCL (or other lines) let you bring liquor on board if you have a beverage package? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Every drink from your own bottle is one less drink from the bar on them.

The only answer I've been able to devise is they don't want those with beverage packages bringing liquor onboard for (friends) other passengers who opted out of the beverage packages, as those who opt out would be spending onboard dollars for drinks

• Like 3

I've just booked and I am new to cruising  and NCL as well, so thank you to regulars. I apologize in advance for my naive questions and ask your patience.

I have been given a free drinks package as part of a promotion however to access that package I understood I will have to pay a gratuities fee of $15 a day.  I'm quite sure I understood this correctly.

I'm traveling alone and wont drink a whole bottle of wine per day.

Strategically would I just be able to buy a bottle at a time somewhere on ship or just by the glass? Can I bring the bottle to dinner or around lounges with me. Seems awkward. If not ... how much will I be charged for per glass?

Also will I be charged room service on top of gratuities for each glass of wine in my cabin? All these rules are leaving me a bit confused.

Is it better just to pay $15/day.

42 minutes ago, SailinLizzy said:

I've just booked and I am new to cruising  and NCL as well, so thank you to regulars. I apologize in advance for my naive questions and ask your patience.

I have been given a free drinks package as part of a promotion however to access that package I understood I will have to pay a gratuities fee of $15 a day.  I'm quite sure I understood this correctly.

I'm traveling alone and wont drink a whole bottle of wine per day.

Strategically would I just be able to buy a bottle at a time somewhere on ship or just by the glass? Can I bring the bottle to dinner or around lounges with me. Seems awkward. If not ... how much will I be charged for per glass?

Also will I be charged room service on top of gratuities for each glass of wine in my cabin? All these rules are leaving me a bit confused.

Is it better just to pay $15/day.

the gratuities are more like $20 per day.  Glasses of wine have different prices, but you can expect to pay around $10 at least per glass.  Generally if you're going to have at least two drinks a day, it's best to take the drink package and pay the gratuities.  I honestly don't know if you can even buy a whole bottle of wine at the bars.  As far as your cabin, if you order drinks to be delivered to your cabin, yes you will pay room service charges.  Also, those drinks won't be covered by the drink package and you'll pay full price for them.  For those reasons, it's best to go to the bar, get one or two (you can get two drinks at a time), and take it back to your cabin

On 10/24/2023 at 8:59 AM, Ovsa said:

Hello.

Thanks

That's another cruise line, not NCL