Queen Anne

Minnie29

Mechanical issues,rattling quite severely last time we were onboard,on deck 5 aft the corridors are really scruffy,pieces falling off,scuffs etc,I know this is just cosmetic but our suite was very tired too,sofa needed replaced,balcony was super rusty,again,I realise,these things are to be expected but when you pay for a Queens grill........ please don't get me wrong,I'm not having a moan (honestly 😂) time before last we had to go into dry dock because a propeller was broken,just wondered if this meant the ship was fatigued or is this just a normal replacement?

19 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Mechanical issues,rattling quite severely last time we were onboard,on deck 5 aft the corridors are really scruffy,pieces falling off,scuffs etc,I know this is just cosmetic but our suite was very tired too,sofa needed replaced,balcony was super rusty,again,I realise,these things are to be expected but when you pay for a Queens grill........ please don't get me wrong,I'm not having a moan (honestly 😂) time before last we had to go into dry dock because a propeller was broken,just wondered if this meant the ship was fatigued or is this just a normal replacement?

any mechanical part on anything can fail at any time for all sorts of reasons

30 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

I think things like carpets get scruffy in a very few years or even months and have to be replaced. I can’t really see any of the things you mention are a sign of age, so much as approaching a minor refit. I don’t know where your cabin was, but the rattling at the stern seems to have been a problem throughout her life.

Ah ok,tbh it doesn't bother us,it was only a question about what do they do or name ships once QE & QV retire,we'd never change from Cunard now,simply because they have the best service in our humble opinion,I suppose when you have thousands of pairs of feet treading the carpets they're bound to become threadbare etc we like the aft of the ship and last time there was a lot of rumbling and rattling,corridors were very marked etc,just an observation x

I am as picky about ship condition as anyone but QV 1-20 October was a shipshape and Bristol-fashion as any Cunarder I've sailed in since 1977.  She's always been more so than QM2 and QE in my experience but everything I saw, inside and out was fresh, clean and spotless.  

Sure, the teak rails in the balconies could have used some varnish... but appreciate the near impossibility of doing this during her usual turnarounds especially in Southampton where monsoon conditions prevail 24/7 apparently. But abject neglect and decay, I never saw a bit of it.  Every morning round of the Boat Deck and you'd see 2-3 deck crew scraping, painting and polishing.  I put a lot of this on Capt. Hoyt who has a real fondness for the ship shared by her passengers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilverHengroen said:

Mid life, not old. Queen Victoria is just shy of 16 and likely to see 25-35 years of service, depending on market factors, her structural and machinery fatigue, and how much money Carnival is willing to reinvest to keep her going. Similar equation for QE, though she is a couple of years younger, and IIRC has a few structural refinements* which might work even more in her favour. If they get an offer to turn them into hotels, then likely that. If they don't, then off to the scrappers like hundreds before them. I can't really imagine Cunard's fleet being sold off to a minor line and rebranded (too prestigious, relatively unique cabin:mini-suite:suite ratio, very particular decor) I think their whole service life will be with Cunard. They were absolutely adamant with Queen Mary and QE2 that the vessels were never to sail commercial voyages again. That was written into the terms of sale for both ships. 

* this is just a vague memory from the time she entered service and I can't find anything concrete about it, so feel free to take this with a pinch of large flake sea salt. 

Caronia was sold on to Saga and became Saga Rugby.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Ah ok,tbh it doesn't bother us,it was only a question about what do they do or name ships once QE & QV retire,we'd never change from Cunard now,simply because they have the best service in our humble opinion,I suppose when you have thousands of pairs of feet treading the carpets they're bound to become threadbare etc we like the aft of the ship and last time there was a lot of rumbling and rattling,corridors were very marked etc,just an observation x

I think to a certain extent, it depends on the sea state.

We were aft twice this year. During a particularly lively sea on our second trip, I would have said ear plugs were a necessity to block the creaks and rattles and yet on our first trip in May/June, the calm seas meant not a single rattle or creak. OK, different decks but even so, a real difference.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I think to a certain extent, it depends on the sea state.

We were aft twice this year. During a particularly lively sea on our second trip, I would have said ear plugs were a necessity to block the creaks and rattles and yet on our first trip in May/June, the calm seas meant not a single rattle or creak. OK, different decks but even so, a real difference.

End of the day you are on a moving ship and subject to the weather and sea state regarding creaks and noises. All parts of the fun of cruising IMO.

• Thanks 1

Yes definitely,although when that propeller needed replacing it was REALLY rattling, I think some people asked to be moved but it didn't really bother us,the reason we LIKE the aft is because you can hear the propellers cutting through the water.......oh roll on next cruise 😆

11 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Yes definitely,although when that propeller needed replacing it was REALLY rattling, I think some people asked to be moved but it didn't really bother us,the reason we LIKE the aft is because you can hear the propellers cutting through the water.......oh roll on next cruise 😆

We were aft over ten years ago just before QV went in for a pod repair. The vibration was so bad, we didn't need to visit the gym for a Power Plate session as we had our own in cabin experience.

These things happen.

There was a thread with a discussion about markings on QM2's spare propeller blades on this forum.

I searched a bit at the time and found several articles on blade corrosion due to seawater bubbles forming on the blades in use. I didn't find any direct link between those articles and the markings but it appears that propeller blades may need replacement at fairly unpredictable times depending on various factors.

The corrosion may result in excess vibration.

Guest SilverHengroen
On 10/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, majortom10 said:

Caronia was sold on to Saga and became Saga Rugby.

Caronia began as Vistafjord for Norwegian America, and indeed most of her Cunard career was under that name, she was only briefly Caronia when Carnival took over and started trying to implement a coherent brand identity, with the traditional livery and naming conventions. By contrast, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth were built for Cunard from the start. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 2:45 AM, Victoria2 said:

Oh how I agree. Don't pronounce on the product until it's tried

and if 'you' haven't tried it, don't criticise.

Erudite advice, Victoria2.  As I mentioned on "that other thread" where sweeping statements abound🙄, we are sailing on Queen Anne next May, and are very much looking forward to our adventure.  We most certainly wouldn't pass judgement until we have the experience behind us.  We're also looking forward to comparing her with our Queen Elizabeth experience, which was immensely enjoyable.

Back on Topic ---

The new Cunard QA is basically a big Vista Class ship (same as QV and QE) 

HAL improved the basic Vista Hull and same deck layout with their Signature Class (Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam) then took it up to the latest bigger Pinnacle Class design of which Cunard's QA is an enlarged version.

HAL now have 3 of these newer ships. Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam.

The OP mentions different cabin layouts for the Deck 4 Sideways Obstructed View cabins, and a simple search on the CC Boards will find various posts of these on the HAL Pinnacle ships.

Deck layouts onboard QA are pretty much the same as QV/QE - so you will not get lost!

Prom Deck is on 3 (same) but will be narrow, with not much in the way of open sea views due to the placement of the bigger Lifeboats actually now sitting on the deck, and not hung above as on QV/QE.
There might be some wooden benches to sit on and likely NO steamer chairs as there is not enough room.
Joggers and deck Walkers will find bottlenecks Aft where the Prom Deck narrows down a lot.
HAL Rotterdam Promenade Deck Pictures

The MDR Britannia is on 2 & 3 Aft (same) as is The Queens Room and The Royal Court, and The Britannia Club is on 2. The Chart Room and Golden Lion are also still on 2.

The Carinthia Lounge is on Deck 3.

Cabins are on 1, and 4 - 8 (same) plus QA has an added forward higher section with extra Cabins and some Suites on 9, 10 and 11, along with the Grills (10) and Grills Terraces (11) which are high Deck locations same as QV/QE.
Commodore Club is now on Deck 12, along with the Library and other Venues.
Lido Buffet (or whatever it's called) same on Deck 9, as are the Pools (Mid and Aft Lido Pool).

Cunard's Steakhouse (or aka The Verandah Grill), is now on Deck 10 called Sir Samuels Steakhouse & Grill.

The big change is that the Gym and Spa are now down below in Steerage 😂 on Deck 1 Forward with no sea views.

The Games Room is on 1.

The Pursers Desk is on 1, and The Grand Lobby is over Decks 1 and 2.
Embarkation Decks are on 1 and 2 (same)

Hope this helps.

Edited by rog747
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Who at Cruise Critic decided that Cunard passengers are called "Cunarders"??? Cunarders are Cunard Line ships not passengers. Or do we also have Holland Americaners, Freds and Princesses now, too?   You can "tweak" the product to distraction, leave the English language alone. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rog747 said:

Back on Topic ---

The new Cunard QA is basically a big Vista Class ship (same as QV and QE) 

HAL improved the basic Vista Hull and same deck layout with their Signature Class (Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam) then took it up to the latest bigger Pinnacle Class design of which Cunard's QA is an enlarged version.

HAL now have 3 of these newer ships. Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam.

The OP mentions different cabin layouts for the Deck 4 Sideways Obstructed View cabins, and a simple search on the CC Boards will find various posts of these on the HAL Pinnacle ships.

Deck layouts onboard QA are pretty much the same as QV/QE - so you will not get lost!

Prom Deck is on 3 (same) but will be narrow, with not much in the way of open sea views due to the placement of the bigger Lifeboats actually now sitting on the deck, and not hung above as on QV/QE.
There might be some wooden benches to sit on and likely NO steamer chairs as there is not enough room.
Joggers and deck Walkers will find bottlenecks Aft where the Prom Deck narrows down a lot.
HAL Rotterdam Promenade Deck Pictures

The MDR Britannia is on 2 & 3 Aft (same) as is The Queens Room and The Royal Court, and The Britannia Club is on 2. The Chart Room and Golden Lion are also still on 2.

The Carinthia Lounge is on Deck 3.

Cabins are on 1, and 4 - 8 (same) plus QA has an added forward higher section with extra Cabins and some Suites on 9, 10 and 11, along with the Grills (10) and Grills Terraces (11) which are high Deck locations same as QV/QE.
Commodore Club is now on Deck 12, along with the Library and other Venues.
Lido Buffet (or whatever it's called) same on Deck 9, as are the Pools (Mid and Aft Lido Pool).

Cunard's Steakhouse (or aka The Verandah Grill), is now on Deck 10 called Sir Samuels Steakhouse & Grill.

The big change is that the Gym and Spa are now down below in Steerage 😂 on Deck 1 Forward with no sea views.

The Games Room is on 1.

The Pursers Desk is on 1, and The Grand Lobby is over Decks 1 and 2.
Embarkation Decks are on 1 and 2 (same)

Hope this helps.

Post #43 says the gym is on Deck 4.

3 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Who at Cruise Critic decided that Cunard passengers are called "Cunarders"??? Cunarders are Cunard Line ships not passengers. Or do we also have Holland Americaners, Freds and Princesses now, too?   You can "tweak" the product to distraction, leave the English language alone. 

It seems Cunard also refer to passengers as Cunarders. On their social media page they announce a Cunarder of the week - the passenger who has taken the best Cunard photograph. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 57eric said:

Post #43 says the gym is on Deck 4.

The Gym and Mareel Spa and Spa Pool are down on Deck 1.
There are only Cabins on Deck 4.

Holland America's similar ships have kept their Gym & Spa on the Upper Decks with views, but the QA has Cabins up there.
(The CC Press release quoted above is mistakenly saying Deck 4)

There is a Wellness Studio, and a new Wellness Café up on Decks 10 and 11, open from sunrise to sunset, for regular fitness sessions including yoga.

At the Aft of the ship on Deck 9 is the Panorama Pool Club, and midships is the Pavillion Pool that features a glass dome roof that retracts in warmer climes.

The Pavilion holds a central stage and a large LED screen for open-air theatre, cinema screenings, live music, and Dancing.

Trust this helps.

R.

Edited by rog747

Here's the thing...

The term Cunarder harks back from the days of the Southern Railway's named Boat Trains from London Waterloo to Southampton Docks.

Arguably the most famous of these Ocean Liner Special’s was the ''Cunarder''.

The Southern Railway ran many special Ocean Liner Boat Trains from Waterloo to carry the passengers to the Liners that docked at Southampton Docks, The Cunarder usually running to the stunning Ocean Terminal at Berth 44 built in 1950  (The White Star Berth) that was sadly knocked down in the 1980's).

The Cunard Line had some of the most glamorous ships of the Era sailing on the New York run with the RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth and that glamour and prestige began when the passenger stepped on board the Boat train at Waterloo.

The Cunarder had a specially designed Headboard on the Locomotive with name boards on its coaches with the typical train being comprised of Pullman Cars and ordinary First Class stock.

The inaugural run of The “Cunarder” was on July 2 1952 hauled by “Merchant Navy” Class Locomotive 35004 “Cunard White Star”.

A similar Waterloo-Southampton Boat express the “Statesman” made the connection with United States Lines brand new ship the SS United States.
Other Shipping Lines also wanted the prestige of having their own Boat Train so services like the “Union-Castle Express”, “South American”, “Holland-American” and “Greek Line” became common place on the Mainline run to Southampton.

Just saying like LOL.

image.jpeg.4ecbc90e7c253654f1e170ef62dcb776.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest SilverHengroen

The new rendering of the theatre is maybe a little disappointing? It looks quite low (being only double, not triple height, and lacking the higher 'tween deck spacing of Queen Mary 2) and fairly plain. I suppose when you're there to look at what's on stage not the decor it's relatively minor, but it's a really big departure from the equivalent on the other three ships, at least to me it feels more so than anywhere else we've glimpsed so far. 

1 hour ago, SilverHengroen said:

The new rendering of the theatre is maybe a little disappointing? It looks quite low (being only double, not triple height, and lacking the higher 'tween deck spacing of Queen Mary 2) and fairly plain. I suppose when you're there to look at what's on stage not the decor it's relatively minor, but it's a really big departure from the equivalent on the other three ships, at least to me it feels more so than anywhere else we've glimpsed so far. 

As you say it's only still a rendering being just of a glimpse of the 🎭 theatre. 

From what the designers are pulling out of the hat is a nod to the glamorous days of Art Deco so IMHO I would say be prepared to be wowed. 

The ships theme are definitely art deco minimalist tones light bright with beiges blacks and chrome. 

Don't get too downhearted and try to compare it with the other ships all which have different takes on traditions where the Qm2 and the Qe are both heavy and darker art deco whereas the Qv is more Edwardian Country House. 

The Queen Anne as much as I dislike the name does I think leave us wanting to see the finished article in its understated magnificance of which the designers have only just given us snippets of her themes. 

I only have two reservations of the ship and that is the name I would have liked it to have been the Aquitania or the Mauretania and also the fact of the promenade deck is so lacking in space. 

• Like 2