December in the Caribbean: what to wear?

It_Is_Me

I've never cruised the Caribbean in December.  I'm starting to think about what evening clothes to pack, and I'm torn between tropical resort wear (sleeveless summer dresses, white pants with dressy tops) or the darker/winter colors that I would wear in Michigan.  Typical daytime temperatures seem to be in the mid-80s for the USVI and BVI.  I have some silky dressy tops in winter colors (wine, darker blue) that go with black pants.  In the air conditioning I don't think I'll be too hot, but I'm wondering if that look will seem out of place.  

I would bring a mix of both. I went on a Christmas cruise and wore an emerald velvet gown for formal night, but other then that I had sleeveless dresses/tops and was comfortable. I wouldn’t worry too much about seasonal colors, just wear what you think looks nice. It’s a tropical destination so many people will be in “summery” attire. I personally think the no white after Labor Day is arbitrary and I don’t follow it 😂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m sailing on Apex to the Caribbean in December…definitely packing warm weather, fun, sunny clothes.  I do pack a few cotton knit sweaters for evening.  If I don’t need it, back to the cabin it goes.  I am leaving Chicago winter behind for the duration 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One consideration is that, unless you have a rare late evening stop or an overnight, you're going to be on the ship in the evenings.  Ship air conditioning can be cool in places at times, and the open upper decks can be windy and a little chilly (but either will feel AWESOME by Michigan outdoor standards in December).  Pack accordingly and have fun on your cruise!  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

I pack summer clothes. 

Me, too! Part of the fun is getting out of my winter “uniform” of black clothes!

but I completely agree with the recommendation to be prepared for the A/C on the ship. I pack several white and brightly colored wraps to coordinate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's going to feel like the middle of summer compared to Michigan so if I was you I would pack summer things for the day, and whatever you feel comfortable in for the evenings. You won't look out of place if you wear all summer colours including white. 

We usually go on a dead of winter cruise and I pack summer stuff plus at least one day outfit for cooler weather, and a wrap or jacket for evenings. Even if you're someone who isn't bothered by a/c, after a day of too much sun, it's easy to get a chill. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Folks who think the ships are chilly must sail on different ships than my Wife and I. 🙂

I'm sure we all do.  But everyone has a different tolerance for A/C.  And it can feel a little chilly on the top decks - especially at night or early in the morning, and/or when a breeze is added to the ship's motion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband wears chino pants and Tommy Bahama tops. He might throw on a blazer once in a while. I wear nice cotton sweaters and black pants in the evening. Daytime it’s shorts and polos. I find the ship cool but my husband doesn’t. We don’t dress up anymore 50+ cruises. But you do you.

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Folks who think the ships are chilly must sail on different ships than my Wife and I. 🙂

Caribbean Attire, summer clothes for sure. 

Laugh out loud. When we cruise in  the Caribbean, especially during the winter months, DH almost always finds the ship too warm in the evenings and I'll be freezing without long sleeved tops, a cardigan or wrap.  I wear what allows me to enjoy my cruise and don't worry about what other passengers might think.😂

• Like 2

Summer and tropical wear! If you have booked excursions, pay attention to footwear. We pack 3 pairs each (travel/excursions/onboard and gym and dressy). I find the ship cold, especially in the restaurants and the theater, so I bring a wrap or shawl. My husband doesn’t find it cold, so he generally wears button-down dress shirts with Khakis in the evenings. 
We eat in Blu, which doesn’t require any smart chic (dressy) wear even on those nights, but we do dress up a bit-husband will wear a jacket and I will wear slacks (I bring 2 dressy black ones in different styles) and 5-7 flowy blouses.
Nobody notices what you wear each day…mixing and matching is key. Listen to frequent cruisers who tell you not to overpack! 

On 10/24/2023 at 10:33 AM, It_Is_Me said:

I've never cruised the Caribbean in December.  I'm starting to think about what evening clothes to pack

I've never noticed any real difference in the ship temperature between summer and winter in the Caribbean. Maybe a couple degrees cooler in the areas affected by exterior doors. My wife and I pack the same for both times of the year, as she always brings a sweater for dinner/theater/bars (which she does on land also), and I wear long sleeve shirts and pants at night. I also pack a few A style t-shirts just in case that particular sailing has the AC cranked down, although I have not needed them at all since the restart. I have a lightweight Columbia jacket (good windbreaker/rain-jacket) that I bring on every cruise, my wife brings my 1980's vintage Member's Only jacket which work well for misty or cooler shore or deck temperatures. 

I'm not sure what port you are sailing out of, but the Northern Bahamas and Florida north of West Palm Beach can get cool in December if a front moves down, although chilly for those of us born and raised in Florida might be considered warm for those who are actually used to precipitation in the frozen form. It rarely drops below 70 once south of Miami, but I would check a 10 day forecast before you leave just in case of a rare cold front working its way down.

• Like 1

Yup, pack the resort wear!!! It will be hot in the sun and the breezy night window may feel good.

Just to add some context, took a cruise to Norway in May. 🥶 While it as chilly outside, the inside stayed very temperate. The same will be true for your trip, but the reverse. Throw in a Jean jacket or light sweater and enjoy!

Don't worry about the winter colors - once you get south of Orlando (and down through the islands) we don't "do" winter fashion. It's sleeveless, flip flops, and tropical colors all year round. 

When it gets chilly (which for us in Florida is anything under 75F) or if the A/C bothers you, a light sweater will come in handy.

• Thanks 1