Upgrade to Premium from Classic Drink Pkg -- SCORE!!!

LadyBerard

Weird question, but someone on my roll call (not here on cruise critic) said that their TA called and Celebrity told them they would lose the included gratuities from their original All Included package if they upgraded to the Premium drinks package.  I said no.  Has anyone come across that?  I saved $150 on my 9 day next June by cancelling and repurchasing at the lower rate.  I don't think anything else has changed.  Thoughts????

Thanks

Kelly

5 hours ago, luv2camp04 said:

Weird question, but someone on my roll call (not here on cruise critic) said that their TA called and Celebrity told them they would lose the included gratuities from their original All Included package if they upgraded to the Premium drinks package.  I said no.  Has anyone come across that?  I saved $150 on my 9 day next June by cancelling and repurchasing at the lower rate.  I don't think anything else has changed.  Thoughts????

Thanks

Kelly

I'm pretty sure they got bad information.  People with All-Inclusive bookings upgrade their drink package or their WiFi package all the time.  A lot of TAs AND Celebrity phone reps are just clueless.  Call Celebrity directly...and if someone tells you that, ask to speak to a supervisor.  Celebrity WANTS you to upgrade. They are not going to make that hard for you.  Even at only $6.99 per day, it's still profit for them.  Remember, they may be selling drinks for $10 to $15, but the REAL cost to THEM is about fifty cents per drink.  Adding $7 per day for an "upgrade" doesn't really cost them anywhere close to $7.  And, think about it, if you upgraded on the website and, suddenly, other PAID FOR perks disappeared, they would be spending lots of $$ in Customer Service costs with everyone that would be screaming at them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luv2camp04 said:

Thanks

Kelly

I was wondering why anyone would call their TA for this in the first place.  Just open website, go to Manage Booking, and DIY.

• Like 1

I had previously downgraded my AI Classic Drink to Zero Proof as I can't drink, I've now tried to upgrade my husband (who can & does like a drink or two) to the Premium package at the cheaper rates.  I couldn't do it online & called customer service - they told me they were unable to do this as I'd already been upgraded & that I had to send an email to Reservations (attaching my medical certificate stating I can't drink).  Am now awaiting their reply & hoping they approve my husband's upgrade - before the price increases.

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Saw it down to $6.99 for my B2B Japan cruises...So, about $400 total for the 24 nights...Makes it awfully tempting...

So, I ran it by my wife--mainly because, of us, she's the wine drinker and it increases her wine choices (Under $10 wine is fairly limiting).  For me, I drink Anejo Tequila at home--but going classic to premium, though it adds a couple of Reposados, does NOT give you Anejo anyway.   So, on the ship,  move to bourbon...and though I'd rather have Woodford, Maker's Mark or even Jack, for the length of the cruise, i can deal with Jim Beam or even Canadian...The real place I've noticeda difference is in pre-bedtime liqueurs, where, with a classic package, I'm drinking Sambuca--as Amaretto and Bailey's now require Premium.  

My wife said it's still not worth it...For the length of the cruise, we can adjust.

For comparison purposes, here's the list:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages

If your wife is anything like mine that also drinks wine, she will change her mind a week from now and you will have missed the sale. It happened to me a few months ago when I missed a $10 upgrade price after consulting with my wife who said no and I then ended up paying $13.99 for the Classic upgrade after she changed her mind and wanted to upgrade. Good news is I was able to cancel the $13.99 upgrade and get the $6.99 upgrade price. 

Edited by Kelownadon

This is my first time on Celebrity.  We have a classic package and drinking brands aren't an issue for us.  I would like to try lots of different cocktails.  Are you limited with the selection available for cocktails?

27 minutes ago, kmry said:

This is my first time on Celebrity.  We have a classic package and drinking brands aren't an issue for us.  I would like to try lots of different cocktails.  Are you limited with the selection available for cocktails?

Martinis,  if going to drink a lot martinis than upgrade 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you one that likes to “call” their spirits, then the upgrade for $6.99 is a no brainer if you drink 2 a day..govern your self accordingly.  I’m not even sure if that price still exists on some cruises today. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kmry said:

If there's any cocktails that go above the price limit of premium package drinks (think it's $18, Classic package is $12) you just pay the difference, they add it on your onboard account

Edited by Not a username2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:40 PM, LadyBerard said:

Today, I was able to upgrade our included Classic Drink Pkg. on two of our upcoming cruises -- 1/15/24 Silhouette and 10/11/24 Eclipse for $6.99 pp per day, plus gratuities!  I had originally upgraded our Eclipse for $10.00 pp per day, plus gratuities and canceled that today and rebooked at the lower rate!!!!  🙂

HOW????  I’m looking at 13.99 per day pp plus

12 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

I had previously downgraded my AI Classic Drink to Zero Proof as I can't drink, I've now tried to upgrade my husband (who can & does like a drink or two) to the Premium package at the cheaper rates.  I couldn't do it online & called customer service - they told me they were unable to do this as I'd already been upgraded & that I had to send an email to Reservations (attaching my medical certificate stating I can't drink).  Am now awaiting their reply & hoping they approve my husband's upgrade - before the price increases.

I've danced this dance before. This time I called Captains Club directly and explained (again) I can't drink (medical.) I told them they could check my folio from our cruse this year. I drank only club soda and lattes. They put me on hold, came back said Ok and upgrade my hubs for $6.99 plus. No problem;.Last year it was the same (with a lot of agg and no discount.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bboop51 said:

I've danced this dance before. This time I called Captains Club directly and explained (again) I can't drink (medical.) I told them they could check my folio from our cruse this year. I drank only club soda and lattes. They put me on hold, came back said Ok and upgrade my hubs for $6.99 plus. No problem;.Last year it was the same (with a lot of agg and no discount.)

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll give the Captains Club a try.  Last cruise I was on was in 2019 were  I also had the Premium no alcohol pack I purchased for myself & classic for my husband. It does sound similar to what you went through. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FeebeeH said:

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll give the Captains Club a try.  Last cruise I was on was in 2019 were  I also had the Premium no alcohol pack I purchased for myself & classic for my husband. It does sound similar to what you went through. 

The policy now is that everyone has to upgrade.  Another way for Celebrity to make money. Captains Club to the rescue.

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I already upgraded to Premium on Eclipse December 2023.  Is that why I don’t see the reduced upgrade price?  I don’t want to cancel and find the price has gone up not down.

Have you tried looking in the app to see if it gives you a price. I had your issue in that it wasnt showing me upgrade online but could see from the app it was 6.96 which is why I cancelled and rebooked

19 minutes ago, jojo1966 said:

Have you tried looking in the app to see if it gives you a price. I had your issue in that it wasnt showing me upgrade online but could see from the app it was 6.96 which is why I cancelled and rebooked

Yes I've looked at the app and the website.  That's why I'm asking here?