OCEANIA CRUISES HAS DONE THE PASSENGERS OF RIVIERA AND NAUTICA VERY TERRIBLE IN CHANGING CRUISES FOR iSTANBUL TO DABAI

brdgplay22

These two ships were sailing identical itineraries from Istanbul to Dubai  in late November 2023.   19 day cruise. 

Due to the war in Israel, All the ports in the middle east were canceled and changed to greek islands instead then 9 sea days to Dubai.  At first they were offering

free cruise credit if you booked another cruise by Nov 30th.  Today they pulled the plug on that offer.  Executive decision we told.   Now. it is take the tour of the Greek islands in DECEMBER and then the 9 day repositioning cruise to Dubai or loose your money entirely.   NCL and Regent (same company) still going at a similar time frame with original ports.  Was told it was for our safety.  Obviously, they are not worried about passengers on NCL or Regent or that we will still be going thru the Suez canal and Red Sea.    Something is terribly wrong with this whole scenario.     They company has forever lost my business.  Be careful what you book.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the offer was already made to you in writing, I would think that Oceania is liable to uphold that offer. If that is the case, I would absolutely look at how to take this to the next various levels. 
I am not sure how Regent and NCL are going to be able to still cruise to closed ports that are in the middle of the war. Maybe I am misinterpreting this piece. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 8:59 PM, brdgplay22 said:

These two ships were sailing identical itineraries from Istanbul to Dubai  in late November 2023.   19 day cruise. 

Due to the war in Israel, All the ports in the middle east were canceled and changed to greek islands instead then 9 sea days to Dubai.  At first they were offering

free cruise credit if you booked another cruise by Nov 30th.  Today they pulled the plug on that offer.  Executive decision we told.   Now. it is take the tour of the Greek islands in DECEMBER and then the 9 day repositioning cruise to Dubai or loose your money entirely.   NCL and Regent (same company) still going at a similar time frame with original ports.  Was told it was for our safety.  Obviously, they are not worried about passengers on NCL or Regent or that we will still be going thru the Suez canal and Red Sea.    Something is terribly wrong with this whole scenario.     They company has forever lost my business.  Be careful what you book.   

Can you post the initial offer they made, as well as the retraction? Curious.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Were you or your TA specifically offered a FCC, then having it denied? 

We were told by our contact at Oceania (we booked directly through them) that we could get an FCC late last week (not in writing, over the phone), and when we called back Tuesday to accept were told it was no longer available, we’d have to take the cruise or lose our money.

5 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

Can you post the initial offer they made, as well as the retraction? Curious.

They made the offer by phone last week and again on Monday the 23rd when I called and verified a couple of items.  They retracted the offer totally on Oct 26th.    See letter below I then receive from VP Oceania of Global services.  I wrote to at least 20 excutives. this is only reply received so far.  

Date: Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 9:57 AM
Subject: RE: Oceania Riviera Holy Land and Arabian Jewels, November 29, 2023
To: Janet Sherwood <janet@soldbyjanet.net>

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Sherwood,

As we continue to monitor the situation in Israel closely, the safety and security of our guests, crew and the communities we visit remains paramount.  As you are aware, we have made the decision to cancel all calls to Israel across Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises, and Regent Seven Seas Cruises for the remainder of 2023. Please be advised that if you decide to cancel your upcoming voyage at this time, the standard penalties will apply. We are not offering any compensation or issuing any Future Cruise Credits for any reservations that are canceled.

As all of our itinerary changes were carefully evaluated with the guest experience in mind, the revised voyages feature culturally rich and historically significant ports across Italy, Greece and Turkey, full of UNESCO World Heritage sites, unique culinary experiences and cultural treasures. We are confident these voyages will provide memorable experiences and offer you exciting opportunities to immerse yourself in the destinations.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard and delivering a memorable experience on your cruise.

Sincerely,

0?ui=2&ik=5ae6f8bf90&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1780827328951162258&th=18b6c5053c711592&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8inluni9V6uLz1hes19XQIr076K164XqollfJEqQPoaTivp7KPuOmLcJ52FBStJIiC_tVBor7RJdMrZNfI7r5nZHN10-ILu0YwwkKOW0b3ew2931eAxz-W8g8&disp=emb&realattid=18b6c5000c74cff311

Carlos E. Ortega | Vice President, Global Guest Services
cortega@oceaniacruises.com | www.oceaniacruises.com 

Oceania Cruises

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

0?ui=2&ik=5ae6f8bf90&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1780827328951162258&th=18b6c5053c711592&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-tt9uFyzk_5zSgJfNYdHvuoLvWFPqAQ3QhVx2OI9d-6ik7848jzvWTXfteJp7dBgOt2mD1vfT6f1BBZovIbGFWca7pvx6zOMEJJOa27r_oltkNuHgULNyFHLE&disp=emb&realattid=18b6c5000c75b16b22

This is one strange situation.  Offer an alternative and then take it back.  Not the best thing for guest relations for sure.  I am quite sure that what ever offer was given initially, Oceania like most other brands had a policy they could take it back anytime.  That does not make it right, just how all brand protect themselves.  That Cruise Contract is a evolution in focusing mostly on the brands. 

We also have to take into consideration when offers have been given to us in the past.  Example but not the same, just and example.  Often times a brand will offer you and "Paid" upgrade.  Those that understand the offer know, it was offered to  a lot of people.  Take it quick or lose it.  On this trip, the moment the itinerary changed and a offer was given, was the time to act.  Hindsight is 20/20 I know but this is an example of no thinking needed.  Cancel. Something tells me this is not the end to this story.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am quite sure that what ever offer was given initially, Oceania like most other brands had a policy they could take it back anytime.  

This is not what was reported by several posters here on CruiseCritic. Several posters reported a specific date in November that was the deadline to choose their alternate itinerary. No one reported being told that the offer could be rescinded at anytime. In fact, one post that I read stated that the Oceania agent told them to think about it overnight and to call back in the morning. When they called back in the morning, they were told it was no longer available to them.

This was handled VERY POORLY!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

This is not what was reported by several posters here on CruiseCritic. Several posters reported a specific date in November that was the deadline to choose their alternate itinerary. No one reported being told that the offer could be rescinded at anytime. In fact, one post that I read stated that the Oceania agent told them to think about it overnight and to call back in the morning. When they called back in the morning, they were told it was no longer available to them.

This was handled VERY POORLY!

@PhD-iva I have NO skin in this game.  I take NO sides here. I also get in trouble every time I post on topics that say, "I will never cruise this brand again."  In all things in life, there are facts, non-facts and the truth.  To get to the truth, one needs to have access to accurate information from both sides.  You won't find that on Social Media even on cruisecritic.com.  We tend to post what we believe the truth is that supports our position.  Human nature.  The brand does not post their positions so to find that out, they have to correspond with their guests in question. The letter I did read above was worded in a very interesting way.  I have not seen the first letter that stated the details of any offer and not sure if it was just verbal. 

In this case, the OP has stated they had a window to take actions.  Again, I have not as of yet seen anything in writing on start or end of that offer from the Brand.  I do not challenge those that say they were told they had time.  I also do not put past any brand to pull back an offer when they find out most clients are cancelling.  Each side has a point of view and I bet each side can debate their positions.  We debate on Social Media, the brand rarely puts anything in writing because it can come back to haunt them. 

What I do know is one of the ships in question is the Riviera.  I am on the Riviera from November 9 to the 19, 2023. On the 19th when we disembark in Barcelona, Spain, the Riviera was going out for a 10 day and 30 day trip.  These cruises especially the 10 day went from ALL categories in a Waitlist, to WIDE open.  That tells me LOTS of guest cancelled. That would lead me to assume, lots of guest took the offer, LOTS!!!  Then this post comes out about the same cruises.  I think we all can make a determination what happened here when LOTS of folks started to cancel.  

Did the OP do something wrong, NO.  They are the injured party here.  Did the Brand in this case Oceania do something wrong, not sure.  Don't have all the facts but sure seems like the could have handled it better.  Please lets be clear, the root cause here is the conflict in the middle east.  The rest is cause and effect from that stimulus. That was nether the guest or the brands fault. 

This situation is going to play out and who knows, maybe everyone can have a win.  Stranger things have happened recently.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@PhD-iva I have NO skin in this game.  I take NO sides here. I also get in trouble every time I post on topics that say, "I will never cruise this brand again."  In all things in life, there are facts, non-facts and the truth.  To get to the truth, one needs to have access to accurate information from both sides.  You won't find that on Social Media even on cruisecritic.com.  We tend to post what we believe the truth is that supports our position.  Human nature.  The brand does not post their positions so to find that out, they have to correspond with their guests in question. The letter I did read above was worded in a very interesting way.  I have not seen the first letter that stated the details of any offer and not sure if it was just verbal. 

In this case, the OP has stated they had a window to take actions.  Again, I have not as of yet seen anything in writing on start or end of that offer from the Brand.  I do not challenge those that say they were told they had time.  I also do not put past any brand to pull back an offer when they find out most clients are cancelling.  Each side has a point of view and I bet each side can debate their positions.  We debate on Social Media, the brand rarely puts anything in writing because it can come back to haunt them. 

What I do know is one of the ships in question is the Riviera.  I am on the Riviera from November 9 to the 19, 2023. On the 19th when we disembark in Barcelona, Spain, the Riviera was going out for a 10 day and 30 day trip.  These cruises especially the 10 day went from ALL categories in a Waitlist, to WIDE open.  That tells me LOTS of guest cancelled. That would lead me to assume, lots of guest took the offer, LOTS!!!  Then this post comes out about the same cruises.  I think we all can make a determination what happened here when LOTS of folks started to cancel.  

Did the OP do something wrong, NO.  They are the injured party here.  Did the Brand in this case Oceania do something wrong, not sure.  Don't have all the facts but sure seems like the could have handled it better.  Please lets be clear, the root cause here is the conflict in the middle east.  The rest is cause and effect from that stimulus. That was nether the guest or the brands fault. 

This situation is going to play out and who knows, maybe everyone can have a win.  Stranger things have happened recently.  

Sthrngary, I always enjoy your posts. I only took exception to the section that I quoted, “Oceania like most other brands had a policy they could take it back anytime.”

I disagree this was part of the offer. “Take this offer of FCC w these conditions, and we can rescind the offer at any time.” In fact, some Oceania agents gave the opposite impression, “Sleep on it and call us back in the morning.”
NOT!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In reading several experiences of this occurrence, there was more than one where a November date was provided to decide by. 
These offers, then rescinded, are not ethical decisions regardless of whether the company could take it back at anytime. No matter how it is spun out, It’s simply not right -  JMO. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 5

All of these comments are reasonable.  Let me clarify a few things.  We got a revised itinerary on 10/20 at approximately 3 PM EDT - deleting all Middle Eastern ports, adding two more ports in Greece.  This now came to five ports in Greece and one in Cyprus, two from the original itinerary, two from the cancellation of Israel, and these two new ones.  In all of this some ports were deleted, then added back in - but ending with six ports in Greece and Cyprus.  Then nine consecutive sea days to Dubai, including cruising the Red Sea and Suez Canal.

When we called on Monday, 10/23, we were told that we could get FCC as long as we made a decision by our SAIL DATE, i.e., 11/30, and we could select any cruise through 2025.  We would  not be able to use on more than one cruise.  If it cost more than the original cruise, we would owe more; it if was less, we would receive no refund.  On Tuesday, 10/24, we looked at future cruise options to decide what trip we wanted to take.  On Tuesday morning, a friend notified me that Oceania had pulled the FCC offer.  When we called about it, they confirmed we could no longer get an FCC, that "upper management" had rescinded that offer.  That is when we wrote O and received the letter posted above, advising we could go on this now Greek Isle and repositioning cruise or forfeit the money we paid for the Holy Land and Arabian Jewels cruise.

Keep in mind, the original information O provided us verbally said that we had until November 30 to make a decision about changing.  They did not notify us that the date for that decision had changed.

We have been on many cruises.  There have been times when ports were changed. (Unfortunately, in 2016, Celebrity had to substitute an additional day in Athens because things were so volatile in Istanbul.)  We have also missed ports because of various reasons.  We have never had a cruise make wholesale changes to their itinerary so that it does not vaguely resemble the tour we booked and paid for.

PLEASE do not misunderstand.  I am in sympathy for the people of Israel.  We have several friends with family there.  I do not fault O for cancelling that port or the others.  However, we do not want to go to the Greek Isles again, especially in December - and for the price we paid!  To be perfectly honest I am concerned for our safety in Istanbul, after seeing the demonstrations there yesterday, and am also wary about going through the Canal and the Red Sea at this time.  We would just like O to honor their original offer and give us an FCC on a future cruise.

1 hour ago, brdgplay22 said:

All of these comments are reasonable.  Let me clarify a few things.  We got a revised itinerary on 10/20 at approximately 3 PM EDT - deleting all Middle Eastern ports, adding two more ports in Greece.  This now came to five ports in Greece and one in Cyprus, two from the original itinerary, two from the cancellation of Israel, and these two new ones.  In all of this some ports were deleted, then added back in - but ending with six ports in Greece and Cyprus.  Then nine consecutive sea days to Dubai, including cruising the Red Sea and Suez Canal.

When we called on Monday, 10/23, we were told that we could get FCC as long as we made a decision by our SAIL DATE, i.e., 11/30, and we could select any cruise through 2025.  We would  not be able to use on more than one cruise.  If it cost more than the original cruise, we would owe more; it if was less, we would receive no refund.  On Tuesday, 10/24, we looked at future cruise options to decide what trip we wanted to take.  On Tuesday morning, a friend notified me that Oceania had pulled the FCC offer.  When we called about it, they confirmed we could no longer get an FCC, that "upper management" had rescinded that offer.  That is when we wrote O and received the letter posted above, advising we could go on this now Greek Isle and repositioning cruise or forfeit the money we paid for the Holy Land and Arabian Jewels cruise.

Keep in mind, the original information O provided us verbally said that we had until November 30 to make a decision about changing.  They did not notify us that the date for that decision had changed.

We have been on many cruises.  There have been times when ports were changed. (Unfortunately, in 2016, Celebrity had to substitute an additional day in Athens because things were so volatile in Istanbul.)  We have also missed ports because of various reasons.  We have never had a cruise make wholesale changes to their itinerary so that it does not vaguely resemble the tour we booked and paid for.

PLEASE do not misunderstand.  I am in sympathy for the people of Israel.  We have several friends with family there.  I do not fault O for cancelling that port or the others.  However, we do not want to go to the Greek Isles again, especially in December - and for the price we paid!  To be perfectly honest I am concerned for our safety in Istanbul, after seeing the demonstrations there yesterday, and am also wary about going through the Canal and the Red Sea at this time.  We would just like O to honor their original offer and give us an FCC on a future cruise.

@brdgplay22 Thank you very much for the clarification.  My comment is designed to support and help you because of your situation.  I have shared this before so I am happy to share it again.  

I have had two issues with Oceania.  One in 2019 and one recently.  Both had to do with Oceania Team member who on the phone said one thing, and it did not happen or the information was not at all accurate.  On both of my situations, it was resolved to my satisfaction within just a few days.  How I did it both times. 

Step One: I wrote a well crafted letter focused on exactly what happened.  At no point in time did I threaten or was I rude in anyway.  I have read your postings and you write beautifully.  The key to issue resolution is great, direct communication and you establish a suggested resolutions within the letter.  

Step Two: You Federal Express the letter to the five top executives at Oceania Cruises.  Each letter is address to one of the executives. 

Step Three:  If you do not receive communications within 3 days of the letters being received, send again. 

On both of my situations, my travel agent who is very successful, has a great relationships with Oceania only got a "NO".  Yet, my letters got both situations resolved relatively quickly.  The same technique worked for NCL and HAL.  The key is which you more than qualify, that your situation is valid and your descriptions is accurate. 

I want to end with this.  I have shared this approach a few times on different social media blogs.  Some folks say my approach will not work.  Some other folks say nothing will work.  In this case, what do you have to lose.  However, if you are given an offer you can live with, "You Own Me A Drink". A Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred, shaken so much there is a thin layer of ice on top, dry as the Sahara desert with two blue cheese stuffed olives. That is my payment, DEAL!!!!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

Gary, does your cruise have any of these impacted ports?

@ORV "NO" as if this time.  Most ports are Greece, Italy and France.  My gut tells me Istanbul is NOT going to happen. That is based so many post I have read saying that Istanbul was always cancelled and the protests they had there yesterday.   Thank you for asking.  

3 hours ago, brdgplay22 said:

Do you have trip insurance?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I imagine a lot of the cancellations were people who have trip insurance that allows cancellation for any reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damicom said:

I imagine a lot of the cancellations were people who have trip insurance that allows cancellation for any reason. 

I imagine a lot are by people who THINK they have cancellation for any reason.

Conflating a cancellation by the cruiseline with cancellation by the passenger.

32 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Likely true. I sure hope that for their sake they checked before doing so. 

OP is not the only poster here on CC and another social media site who has experienced almost the same exact circumstances. Thank you for further explaining the details of what occurred.
Others finding themselves in similar situations have engaged with TA’s, who have tried to assist.  The booked passengers have as well. Oceania isn’t budging. 
I am just not quite sure how there can be a legit argument made on behalf of Oceania with this specific situation. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Likely true. I sure hope that for their sake they checked before doing so. 

OP is not the only poster here on CC and another social media site who has experienced almost the same exact circumstances. Thank you for further explaining the details of what occurred.
Others finding themselves in similar situations have engaged with TA’s, who have tried to assist.  The booked passengers have as well. Oceania isn’t budging. 
I am just not quite sure how there can be a legit argument made on behalf of Oceania with this specific situation. 

It’s not just Oceania. Other cruise lines are doing the same thing. Itineraries have been altered. They obviously can’t take ships in to a war zone. Other lines have been adhering to the same cancellation policy. This is why they offer travel insurance with pretty much every communication they send you once you book your cruise.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I certainly hope they checked that out before the cancelled. I was booked on a Viking cruise to the Arctic but the ship got stuck in Norway during a storm.  We were in London ready to board but there was no ship and they weren’t sure when it would get there. We were going to miss at least 2 days and 2 ports. The storm and the delay were not their fault but I tried to cancel as I felt I could find better things to do in Europe than wait for a ship that may or may not get there. And the itinerary was no longer the itinerary I signed on for. Viking told me I could cancel and lose 100% of my payment. I mean, there wasn’t even a ship to board and we couldn’t cancel.  We ended up boarding on what would have been our third day of a ten day cruise. There was no compensation. No apologies. Viking did nothing to appease us. Not even a free cocktail. We ended up having an absolutely great time in spite of the setbacks. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Damicom said:

It’s not just Oceania. Other cruise lines are doing the same thing. Itineraries have been altered. They obviously can’t take ships in to a war zone. Other lines have been adhering to the same cancellation policy. This is why they offer travel insurance with pretty much every communication they send you once you book your cruise.  

I am sure that some may be. Some are not. 
The point that keeps getting ignored here on so many posts defending the changes,  is that Oceania offered the FCC to passengers, only to rescind it. Within days. Even after giving out dates that could be decided by. And still rescinding beforehand. Within days. That is the issue. 
Yes, they can change the itineraries. But to provide an offer and then say, ‘so sorry, we didn’t mean that”, is the problem. 
Most travel insurance does not cover acts of war. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I am sure that some may be. Some are not. 
The point that keeps getting ignored here on so many posts defending the changes,  is that Oceania offered the FCC to passengers, only to rescind it. Within days. Even after giving out dates that could be decided by. And still rescinding beforehand. Within days. That is the issue. 
Yes, they can change the itineraries. But to provide an offer and then say, ‘so sorry, we didn’t mean that”, is the problem.

Old advice given to me long ago that still holds true.

Get it in writing.  My standard line after being told something by a vendor is:  "Can you send me an email to that effect, or a link to where it is printed online?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

Old advice given to me long ago that still holds true.

Get it in writing.  My standard line after being told something by a vendor is:  "Can you send me an email to that effect, or a link to where it is printed online?"

Truth. Sad but true -  I agree. 

Just seems like reputation should be important. In today’s world, where communicating the good and the bad is so much easier, that companies would care. 

This situation has made an impression on us. Now it is up to us to decide what feel about it and how we will respond.