Morimoto Pop-Up Restaurant

FlyingCruiser2

21 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I think it includes the San Francisco restaurant tax that the ship has to charge when it is in port in San Francisco.  If the ship is out to sea it would probably be $55.  Too bad they decided to introduce the “pop up” in San Francisco where we have to pay San Francisco taxes.

SF doesn't charge taxes on cruise ship food. The difference is the gratuity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, campbean41 said:

Which ship are you on? We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the Nov 25th and the pop-up is not showing up yet.

It may as you get closer. The email from HAL said this was going to be done once  a week on all cruises after Nov 7th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Who receives the gratuity?   Is there always an 18% gratuity charged for specialty dining?

OOps...Posted at same time as @CruiserBruce!!

Yes, there is always an 18% (currently) gratuity on all HAL specialty dining and purchased drinks.  The money goes into the pool for the waiters I believe.  Bruce is correct about the exceptions for HIA and 5* Mariner.  The HIA states the gratuities are included. 

The drinks gratuities go into a separate pool for the bar staff as I was told by a bartender.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think someone was misinformed.

It was for Sel de Mer with a 50% discount.  Is the gratuity charged on the total or discounted meal?  It was two years ago in port in San Francisco on the K.   I believed the HAL rep’s explanation at the time.   

9 minutes ago, oakridger said:

The drinks gratuities go into a separate pool for the bar staff as I was told by a bartender.

Yes...has been that way for a long time. The bar staff have an entirely different contract and tip situation. Their pay is far more dependent on tips than the room stewards and waiters.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, campbean41 said:

Which ship are you on? We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the Nov 25th and the pop-up is not showing up yet.

Nov. 18 konigsdam. It just showed up last week.  I was able to figure it out as there were no reservations available at Tamarind one evening. $64.90 including 18% gratuity 

On 10/27/2023 at 7:46 PM, terrydtx said:

I got an email today from HAL inviting us to opening night of this new restaurant on our Koingsdam cruise on Nov 4th.  It says the price is $55pp but when I go to book it the price is $64.50pp. I looked at the sample menu and it was not all that great and I would have booked at $55 but not $64.50, sounds like a bait and switch to me.

image.png.3b425bfb4b8af868e27d05f546f75c70.png

Do you have a link to the sample menu?

• Like 1

Morimoto by Sea Pop-Up Experiences Coming Soon

Beginning in November, Holland America Line guests can indulge in a full Chef Morimoto experience with an exclusive pop-up restaurant: Morimoto by Sea. The restaurant and its menu of artfully presented dishes and beverages will take over Tamarind or Pinnacle Grill, depending on the ship, at least once per cruise. Offered to guests for a $55 per person cover charge, the experience dishes up a multi-course dinner that celebrates the fresh fish program with inspired cuisine for a broad range of palates. Vegetarian and vegan selections will also be available.

Here’s a sneak peek of some of the mouthwatering meals you could delight in at the Morimoto by Sea pop-up experience:

Appetizers

• Sushi Plate: (Vegetarian can be requested.) Nigiri with salmon, hamachi, hotate, maki with ebi tempura, Dungeness California, salmon shikai maki.
  • Morimoto Fresh Tuna Pizza: Anchovy aioli, kalamata olive, red onion, jalapeno.
  • Tempura Calamari Salad: (Can be served without calamari on request.) Quinoa two ways, white miso dressing.
  • Pork Gyoza Dumpling: Ginger-scallion sauce.
  • Tori Paitan Ramen Noodles Soup: Soy egg, bamboo shoot, hot creamy broth poured at the table.

Main Courses

• Crispy Fried Whole Market Fresh Fish: Sweet spicy chili sauce, pickle vegetables.
  • Ishiyaki Buri Bop: Fresh Pacific yellowtail on rice, cooked at the tableside in a hot stone bowl.
  • Shrimp Three Way “Morimoto Style”: Tempura, panko, arare-age, tartar, tonkatsu and gochujang sauce.
  • Angry Lobster Pad Thai: Maine lobster, rice noodles, Thai red curry sauce.
  • Broiled Beef Tenderloin steak: Japanese-style mushroom sauce.
  • Jidori Chicken Teriyaki, Chicken Oyster Yakitori: Shichimi togarashi.
  • Japanese Vegetables Curry: Tofu steak, seasonal vegetables.

Side Dishes

• House fried rice, steamed rice or brown rice.
  • Wasabi mashed potato.
  • Wok seared bok choy.
  • Basket steamed vegetables.

Desserts

• Dark Chocolate Sphere: Ganache, marshmallow, milk hot chocolate sauce.
  • Tofu Cheesecake: Mango passion, pineapple salsa.
  • White Chocolate Lime Ganache: Coconut foam, mango sorbet, rice pudding.
  • Sorbet and Ice cream or Trio: Chef’s seasonal selection.
Seafood on plate surrounded by cooking ingredients.
Sneak peek of Morimoto Epice Lobster Tails. 

Guests can also delight in Chef Morimoto’s line of refreshing alcoholic beverages on board, by both glass and bottle. Selections include Morimoto Brut Rosé, Morimoto Grgich Hills Chardonnay, Morimoto Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon, Sake Junmai Morimoto, Sake Junmai Ginjo Morimoto, Sake Junmai Daiginjo Morimoto and Sake Sparkling Nigori.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmrvancouver said:

Nov. 18 konigsdam. It just showed up last week.  I was able to figure it out as there were no reservations available at Tamarind one evening. $64.90 including 18% gratuity 

I haven't seen it for the Nov 18 Eurodam (as of this morning), which is fine with me.  I don't want to eat there but I was checking just in case it interfered with any of the specialty dining dinners we plan to book once we embark.

Sue/WDW1972

8 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

I haven't seen it for the Nov 18 Eurodam (as of this morning), which is fine with me.  I don't want to eat there but I was checking just in case it interfered with any of the specialty dining dinners we plan to book once we embark.

Sue/WDW1972

It is there but only on Thanksgiving. I saw it listed yesterday.

7 hours ago, dfrohman said:

It is there but only on Thanksgiving. I saw it listed yesterday.

Which venue?  We're planning to just do the Lido that night, so I'm glad the pop up didn't affect our plans.

Sue/WDW1972

On 10/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, oaktreerb said:

It was for Sel de Mer with a 50% discount.  Is the gratuity charged on the total or discounted meal?  It was two years ago in port in San Francisco on the K.   I believed the HAL rep’s explanation at the time.   

Gratuity is charged on the total amount before discount - just as it is for the wine packages.

FYI Sel de Mer is no longer 50% off - now 25 % off for the Mariners who qualify.

• Like 1