Can you bring canned soda onboard?

eyern1

I'm having a little trouble finding the answer.  What little I have seen seems to say no but that it may not be enforced. We would gladly attempt to and forfeit it if necessary but would rather not if we can't due to the hassle of handling that weight through possibly long waits in line. I know many cruise lines don't allow bottles due to environmental reasons but what about cans on MSC? We're sailing on the Seaside next month. Can we carry on cans of soda and if so, how many?

• Haha 1

Answer is in your cruise contract which is NO. MSC does not allow you to bring liquids on board no matter how they are packaged, bottle, can or wine box.

Now other people who post that they were able to bring them on board carry on or checked means the decision is up to you to follow the rules or not and pay the consequences or reap the reward. 

Why would you put your cruise at risk for a few cans of soda or water?  It is a violation of the rules and if I read the contract correctly, it allows MSC to do anything from confiscating to refusing to allow you on board for brining 'contraband' items onboard.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Why would you put your cruise at risk for a few cans of soda or water?  It is a violation of the rules and if I read the contract correctly, it allows MSC to do anything from confiscating to refusing to allow you on board for brining 'contraband' items onboard.  

Are you kidding me?  Do you think for a minute they would deny you boarding over a Coca Cola?  I guess according to the contract then they do have that right but I’m pretty sure that soda is not what they had in mind as contraband when they were writing the contract up. Will they confiscate it and say I’m sorry but you cannot bring that onboard? Possibly and I wouldn’t be surprised if they do and I wouldn’t be upset because I knew in advance. If they did deny boarding it would be the stupidest fiscal and pr move in cruising history. Their staff would lose tip money and the line would potentially lose alcohol sales, gambling money, specialty restaurant money, spa money and excursion money along with possible cruisers in the future from the headlines on cruise critic and such plus the filler moments on the nightly news-CRUISERS GET DENIED EMBARCATION FOR HAVING DIET COKE IN THEIR CARRY ON LUGGAGE. LOL. I can’t see that happening and may just try it for spits and giggles now😁

20 hours ago, eyern1 said:

I'm having a little trouble finding the answer.  What little I have seen seems to say no but that it may not be enforced. We would gladly attempt to and forfeit it if necessary but would rather not if we can't due to the hassle of handling that weight through possibly long waits in line. I know many cruise lines don't allow bottles due to environmental reasons but what about cans on MSC? We're sailing on the Seaside next month. Can we carry on cans of soda and if so, how many?

It is not about the environment, so bottles or cans does not matter, but they want to sell fthis stuff on board….A single bottle might be ok but if you bring a lot they will decline it for good reasons.

Used to be where you could bring maybe as much as you wanted seems like. I think we brought 2 12 packs once in a rolling suitcase we carried on (not attempting to hide it, just easier to carry) and I want to say our last carnival cruise probably 18 months ago or less, we were allowed either 1 6 pack in cans only or 1 6 pack each. 

16 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Are you kidding me?  Do you think for a minute they would deny you boarding over a Coca Cola?  I guess according to the contract then they do have that right but I’m pretty sure that soda is not what they had in mind as contraband when they were writing the contract up. Will they confiscate it and say I’m sorry but you cannot bring that onboard? Possibly and I wouldn’t be surprised if they do and I wouldn’t be upset because I knew in advance. If they did deny boarding it would be the stupidest fiscal and pr move in cruising history. Their staff would lose tip money and the line would potentially lose alcohol sales, gambling money, specialty restaurant money, spa money and excursion money along with possible cruisers in the future from the headlines on cruise critic and such plus the filler moments on the nightly news-CRUISERS GET DENIED EMBARCATION FOR HAVING DIET COKE IN THEIR CARRY ON LUGGAGE. LOL. I can’t see that happening and may just try it for spits and giggles now😁

Careful. All these cruise lines are in cahoots, and once your name is out these as the soda smuggler you will probably be banned for life.  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, rsail203 said:

Would there be a problem bringing a bottle of gatorade on board? I use it to take my medication.

Then contact special needs and say you need it for a medical reason and you wouldn't be violating any rules.

Or try to sneak it on like other people do, some are successful and some I've seem it confiscated at the x-ray machine. 

What is so hard about following what you agreed to in your cruise contract?

On 10/27/2023 at 11:32 PM, eyern1 said:

All I said was they have the right I did not say I thought they would execute that right.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

All I said was they have the right I did not say I thought they would execute that right.  

No problem. Thank you for your service that gives so many of us the rights and freedoms that we have. Seeing that MSC is an Italian company, I wonder how closely they stand to their soda denial rights?  We may see. 

Edited by eyern1

32 minutes ago, eyern1 said:

No problem. Thank you for your service that gives so many of us the rights and freedoms that we have. Seeing that MSC is an Italian company, I wonder how closely they stand to their soda denial rights?  We may see. 

Very strict.

MSC has rules and they are followed  - just as those who have tried to circumvent booking and fare rules.

And by the way, don't bother going to Guest Services to complain about the carry on soda policy and starting the complaint off "On Carnival...."

The response I have witnessed is "You are not on Carnival. Next guest in line."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Very strict.

MSC has rules and they are followed  - just as those who have tried to circumvent booking and fare rules.

And by the way, don't bother going to Guest Services to complain about the carry on soda policy and starting the complaint off "On Carnival...."

The response I have witnessed is "You are not on Carnival. Next guest in line."

Good to hear from someone firsthand. I had no thoughts of complaining to guest services if they took them but comparing bringing $10 worth of soda onboard vs trying to cheat booking and fare rules is not really equivalent. Either way, have a great day. 

Since carry luggage is inspected by contractors at boarding you may have a better chance of bringing liquids onboard. 

I don't know about the large luggage scanner that is behind the scenes (Manhattan Cruise Terminal you can see it as you exit on the lower level) if someone from the cruise line is observing the scans. This is probably why you get posts about people saying they did bring on soda or their soda was confiscated. 

From my personal experience at Port Canaveral, the hand luggage was being stopped with people bringing cases of soda back (12 packs) at the port of call stop (not embarkation). The security was off-ship being done by a contractor. YMMV

Thanks Brighton. I was not intending to try to evade detection of said soda lol, but just hoped it would be passed through. Now with what's going on in the world, I'm not going to try and bring any liquids onboard. I imagine security is probably getting pretty tight.

14 hours ago, eyern1 said:

Thanks Brighton. I was not intending to try to evade detection of said soda lol, but just hoped it would be passed through. Now with what's going on in the world, I'm not going to try and bring any liquids onboard. I imagine security is probably getting pretty tight.

The soda rule has nothing to do with security and everything to do with the cruise line wanting you to buy soda on board.  There is no rule about bringing liquids on board.  The cruise ship is nothing like an airplane.  It would be incredibly expensive  to have to purchase all the liquid  things one normally travels with (shampoo/hair products, mouthwash, sunscreen, etc.,) on board, not to mention that those types of things have limited availability on board.  The cruise line would make you aware of any changes in things that were newly prohibited.  For the record, I was able to bring a bottle of water in my carry on  through security in NY recently.  I wanted to have the sports style bottle to refill during the cruise and was prepared to empty it out before boarding if need be.  I think they would be more strict about any quantity of beverages though.

Gizfish, oh yeah, it's about their profits. I just figure they might look at everything closer now and that's just one less thing they'll have to look at.  My other concern is if the government shuts down while we're on the ship, how long it will take us to get off. Fortunately we are driving so it will just be an annoyance but I'm sure it's making people with flights very nervous.  Hmmm, we could end up on a cruise that can't return. Stuck at sea with power and food doesn't sound too bad to me!

We had water and (Delta) snacks in our carry on luggage. As we put our items on the security conveyor belt, I took them out -- like I'd do for any TSA screening. Security told me that there was no problem with the items, and they allowed us to bring them on board. I put my Miss Vickie's potato chips in the safe just in case, and had them one afternoon on our balcony. 🙂

• Haha 2

Anecdotally, I once brought on a bottle of Prosecco, wrapped and tied with a ribbon with a card on it intended for one of the MSC staff at Guest Services that we had befriended a few weeks earlier.  It was in plain sight and security at Pt Canaveral freaked out, confiscated it, and said that it would be sent to Guest Services.  😜  Precisely where it was supposed to go.  It was actually rather funny in hindsight.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, RD64 said:

Can we not just pay for the soda / pop while on board instead of stressing precruise over what (I feel) is a minor issue?

Yes and with the prices they charge I will choose not too. I’ll just drink something else and spend the money on something that seems more worthwhile. I’m sorry this seems to stress you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyern1 said:

Yes and with the prices they charge I will choose not too. I’ll just drink something else and spend the money on something that seems more worthwhile. I’m sorry this seems to stress you. 

Do you have the option to buy a non-alcoholic drink package?   Apologies if that's a stupid question, as I only know what is available here in the UK, which works out at £21 a day (which I think is around $26).   And again, more apologies if this sounds flippant, but that would break even if you only drink a couple of specialty coffees, a mocktail and a few cans of soda a day.