Opinions on Cagneys vs LA Bistro on Escape?

breadandbutter

8 minutes ago, breadandbutter said:

I've  read some not so favorable reports on Cagneys saying it's loud and noisy mainly.

I'm probably going to order beef filet at either place, which in your opinion should I book?

TIA.

Le Bistro "should be" more quite and refined dining.

For us, Cagney's is okay as well... just a different atmosphere.

I find all restaurants to be loud, which does not prevent me from going to them.

2 hours ago, breadandbutter said:

I've  read some not so favorable reports on Cagneys saying it's loud and noisy mainly.

I'm probably going to order beef filet at either place, which in your opinion should I book?

TIA.

Restaurants atmosphere is totally dependent on the cliental at the time you are dining. Either restaurant can be loud if there are impolite patrons there. Both restaurants are "free" to everyone, so there is no filter on who goes to which restaurant. 

Personally, we would prefer Le Bistro. But, be aware that here is a $10 upcharge for the filet there. 

Here's the Le Bistro filet from our cruise last week (October 2023)... yummy!

image.thumb.png.43329c2db4aeb362ad457d03bd64dc40.png

Filet at Cagney's (May 2023)

image.png.52bee6cb667101415f4e1b289f24dcf7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both are fine, neither are up to Capitol Grille or Ruth’s Chris standards IMO but also don’t come with a $100+ pp price tag. I’ve never experienced a noisy meal but, as mentioned, you’re at the mercy of the other diners’ good (or bad) behavior. I ask Le Bistro to leave the fois gras off - just don’t like the texture and it’s an inhumane process (just my opinion).

I realize not everyone lives near 2 major cities, so may not have tried those restaurants. Regardless, we always book at least Le Bistro or Cagneys once per cruise, sometimes both.

I’m sure the two chain steakhouses I named don’t come close to some of the top steakhouses in major cities, although I can’t speak to those from experience ( wouldn’t mind the experience if I’m not footing the bill 😁), but those two are enough of a splurge for me. We used to have a fabulous steakhouse, the Chop House, still a chain but hmmm-mmm good. Unfortunately it closed (before COVID).

OTOH, my husband makes a mean grilled steak, we sometimes get the prime grade from Costco, but the choice grade is also delicious!

Either choice - enjoy your on board dining @breadandbutter!!

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Escape last month. Le Bistro was much better than Cagney's. Had the ribeye at Cagney's and it was a very poor-quality cut of meat. Person in the table next to us had the same complaint. 

Our surprise was Bayamo by Ocean Blue which was very good. I had the Crab Cake appetizer and Gumbo which was excellent. My entree was the Sea Bass with White Wine Butter Sauce (Yummy).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Both are pretty solid choices. With Cagney's, we tend to stick with the filet and have not been disappointed. If you get a bad cut of meat or improperly cooked, just let the staff know and they will typically work with you to make it right. Le Bistro is also a very nice experience. I would say slightly more formal than Cagney's 

• Thanks 1

Aloha. They have their own special vibe and as previously posted it depends on the clientele also which sets the tone for the dining experience. Since we have so many dining options in New York and a few upscale in Honolulu I can only say we have been blessed to dine in both on various ships if NCL and enjoyed them equally. I was never disappointed but on vacation I do lower my expectations somewhat and consider myself in vacation mode lol! Enjoy 

Both are really nice restaurants and have a different feel. Cagney’s is larger and the times I’ve been it’s a little busier (mostly due to the size) where as Le Bistro is smaller and more intimate. Food in both have been great but also food is subjective. Hope you get to try both and you can decide what the best fit is for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the minority here, but I’ve not had much luck in LeBistro.  I’ve had their Coqauvin which was WAY TOO SALTY.  Had their Lobster Thermidor where the Lobster was tough and drenched in a sauce that was “broken” which turned it into a greasy mess.  Their steak wasn’t bad, but not better than what I had at Cagney’s.

I do like their French Onion Soup, though.

Personally, I’d pick Cagney’s.  It’s a bigger restaurant.  Too noisy?  I don’t know.  I don’t think I ever noticed.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Both are fine, neither are up to Capitol Grille or Ruth’s Chris standards IMO but also don’t come with a $100+ pp price tag. I’ve never experienced a noisy meal but, as mentioned, you’re at the mercy of the other diners’ good (or bad) behavior. I ask Le Bistro to leave the fois gras off - just don’t like the texture and it’s an inhumane process (just my opinion).

I realize not everyone lives near 2 major cities, so may not have tried those restaurants. Regardless, we always book at least Le Bistro or Cagneys once per cruise, sometimes both.

I’m sure the two chain steakhouses I named don’t come close to some of the top steakhouses in major cities, although I can’t speak to those from experience ( wouldn’t mind the experience if I’m not footing the bill 😁), but those two are enough of a splurge for me. We used to have a fabulous steakhouse, the Chop House, still a chain but hmmm-mmm good. Unfortunately it closed (before COVID).

OTOH, my husband makes a mean grilled steak, we sometimes get the prime grade from Costco, but the choice grade is also delicious!

Either choice - enjoy your on board dining @breadandbutter!!

The “major city” of Dayton, Ohio (pop. 135,000) has a steakhouse (The Pine Club) that is tons better than the Ruth’s Chris and Capital Grille chains.

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

The “major city” of Dayton, Ohio (pop. 135,000) has a steakhouse (The Pine Club) that is tons better than the Ruth’s Chris and Capital Grille chains.

That’s a good thing to know - I have a brother outside Cleveland who likes a good steak. Food pics look good … now I want a filet!  3 hours is a bit of a drive but you never know! I’ll relay the tip to him 👍

Edited by ColdCruise

34 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

That’s a good thing to know - I have a brother outside Cleveland who likes a good steak. Food pics look good … now I want a filet!  3 hours is a bit of a drive but you never know! I’ll relay the tip to him 👍

Note:  cash only, no reservations.  They made George Bush wait for an hour.

49 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Note:  cash only, no reservations.  They made George Bush wait for an hour.

Funny, I saw that on their site - cash still IS king!

That hour wait - was that before or after he was president?

@graphicguy Jeff Ruby’s looks opulent, a bit different style than The Pine Club. Food looks fab….and I just happen to have a brother in Nashville….with an expense account 🤔 He’s mentioned some fab steakhouses in Chicago and Texas.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 2:46 PM, breadandbutter said:

TIA.

Hi Tia,

We VERY much prefer Cagney's over Le Bistro.  I have never had an issue with noise level in any of the specialty dining (Tepppanyaki is noisy by nature of course),  The food and menu selections are much much better at Cagney.s.

As far as noise level goes, that all is kind of hit or miss anyway,,  It depends on when ou go and what the crowd make up is at the time.

On 10/28/2023 at 2:25 PM, FLAHAM said:

I'm sure it has, but Ruth's Chris and Capital Grille are near Washington, DC. Dayton, OH? Not so much. DC has a lot of things, but no Skyline Chili and no Tim Horton's, both of which Dayton has! #lucky ☘️ To OP's question: Le Bistro feels much more elegant, whereas Cagney's feels more "clubby." I like them both, but for different reasons.

On 10/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, graphicguy said:

Best steak I’ve ever eaten…anywhere!  Cagney’s is fine.  But, not close to the best I’ve had.

https://www.jeffruby.com/cincinnati

https://peterluger.com

https://bernssteakhouse.com

Berns and Peter Luger. I've eaten at each place once. NCL has nothing on either of these two places, not even close

• Like 1