Gouda Cheese

mafig

One time when we were in Aruba (on a HAL cruise) we purchased a wheel of Gouda cheese.  DH says he would like to buy it again.

Has anyone done this recently:?  Does Hal allow the cheese onboard (it would be encased in the red wrapper.)

Another thing, I don't know it irequires refrigeration.  Anyone know?  I seem to recall us either putting it in our refrigerator or did the room steward offer to store it for us.  It was a while ago....cannot recall.

What type/brand of Gouda are you looking at buying?

We have a local cheese/meat distributor in the Seattle area where I've bought my 22lb. wheels of Rembrandt extra age Gouda. You might check your local area. Cheaper than having to go to Aruba and rolling that wheel around all day.

IMG_51251.thumb.JPG.6ae69fac6ba8e7c38ffb972f35b0ab73.JPG

And yes, I do carry the label attached to the inside of my iPhone case. 😁

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We bring home the wheel of cheese often.  It can stay out of the refrigerator for a week.  We put it in our fridge in the cabin by shifting stuff around.  Or you can ask your steward to take the stuff out of your fridge so it can fit.  It must stay wrapped in the wax to get it off the cruise.  (I.e.  Don't open it until you get home.)

• Thanks 1

While I respect the thought of bringing quality cheese home from vacation, I don't really understand why you would do that. Quality cheeses including aged Gouda are readily available at many of our local supermarkets. Unfortunately the best cheese monger in town is closing as many of the specialty delis have gone before. (Because they can't compete with the supermarkets that are stocking more specialty products). Be aware that some food products could be confiscated as you attempt to re-enter your home country. I don't mean to be a downer but I don't think I would haul anything home from overseas that I can easily get at home.

• Like 1

We visited a Gouda cheese factory in the Netherlands while on a cruise last month. We had no problem bringing it onboard and home in our luggage. Gouda can go long periods of time stored at room temperature without refrigeration.

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

While I respect the thought of bringing quality cheese home from vacation, I don't really understand why you would do that. Quality cheeses including aged Gouda are readily available at many of our local supermarkets. Unfortunately the best cheese monger in town is closing as many of the specialty delis have gone before. (Because they can't compete with the supermarkets that are stocking more specialty products). Be aware that some food products could be confiscated as you attempt to re-enter your home country. I don't mean to be a downer but I don't think I would haul anything home from overseas that I can easily get at home.

DD DH and I brought cheese home from the Netherlands last time we were there.  It was far superior to any Gouda we could get here.  far superior.  similar to buying olive oil in Italy, etc.  They ship the lesser quality and keep the better there.

That’s why we do it.

I had no problem with Canadian customs bringing the cheese back and it was fully disclosed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

DD DH and I brought cheese home from the Netherlands last time we were there.  It was far superior to any Gouda we could get here.  far superior.  similar to buying olive oil in Italy, etc.  They ship the lesser quality and keep the better there.

That’s why we do it.

I had no problem with Canadian customs bringing the cheese back and it was fully disclosed.

Last month the owner of the Gouda cheese factory told us the same thing. I asked about buying his cheese online and he said we have a hard time keeping up with demand for his cheeses in Europe. He also said most of the exported Gouda to the US is a quality most Dutch would not buy or consume. We sampled a lot of his cheese, and I never tasted any Gouda as good as theirs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Last month the owner of the Gouda cheese factory told us the same thing. I asked about buying his cheese online and he said we have a hard time keeping up with demand for his cheeses in Europe. He also said most of the exported Gouda to the US is a quality most Dutch would not buy or consume. We sampled a lot of his cheese, and I never tasted any Gouda as good as theirs.

That's gouda to know.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's gouda to know.

The Dutch pronounce Gouda in a way most would not recognize. Sounds more like "whoda" with a wh sound more like clearing your throat. The cheese factory owner would get upset if anyone pronounced it  "Gooda".  We didn't get to sample his cheese until all 4 of us pronounced Gouda correctly. He also makes wooden shoes and we got a good demonstration on how they are made, which is a dying art form in Netherlands.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The Dutch pronounce Gouda in a way most would not recognize. Sounds more like "whoda" with a wh sound more like clearing your throat. The cheese factory owner would get upset if anyone pronounced it  "Gooda".  We didn't get to sample his cheese until all 4 of us pronounced Gouda correctly. He also makes wooden shoes and we got a good demonstration on how they are made, which is a dying art form in Netherlands.

Thanks. Where would I brie without you?

• Haha 3

Reading this I can't help remembering part of a song: Gouda, Gouda, Eating Gouda Cheese.  Goodness how delicious, eating gouda cheese.  I enjoy gouda cheese and have probably never tasted the great cheese you have described.  I buy what Costco sells.  Not sure how I would handle a 22 pound wheel, though.

Ray

• Haha 1

There is a place in Thorp, Wisconsin that make really goud gouda (see what I did there?). It is a very large enterprise and we always stop there on our drives back and forth to Canada (they had good bathrooms in addition to good cheese). You can order stuff online; here is the website https://www.mariekegouda.com/