Please explain the dress code for gentlemen

Tiny_Tim

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Just a bit of warning that you are entering potentially contentious territory here. There has been considerable discussion in the past concerning whether polo shirts are considered appropriate or not on Smart Attire evenings. That partly stems from the fact that the "What to pack" page on the Cunard website specifies "dress shirt" for the Smart Attire dress code while the onboard Smart Attire dress code as published in the daily programmes specifies "collared shirt". I don't think we've ever reached consensus on this forum regarding polo shirts.

The second part of your question is easier to answer. A tux is never required. The Gala Evening dress code allows a dark suit as an alternative to a dinner jacket/tuxedo.

I'm not wanting to start any trouble. I want to do what's right. I have looked around Cunard's site and cannot find the "What to pack" page. What is the link? I have taken my tux on many cruises in the past for upscale evenings but what to wear other nights is the purpose of my question. Navy blazer? Or some other type of blazer?

7 minutes ago, Tiny_Tim said:

I'm not wanting to start any trouble. I want to do what's right. I have looked around Cunard's site and cannot find the "What to pack" page. What is the link? I have taken my tux on many cruises in the past for upscale evenings but what to wear other nights is the purpose of my question. Navy blazer? Or some other type of blazer?

My husband wears jackets as he doesn't possess any kind of blazer, but a blazer would fit the bill if that's what you'd like to wear. Bear in mind, a jacket isn't essential wear should you like a night/couple  of night/all the non Gala nights from wearing a jacket/blazer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tiny_Tim said:

The URL for What to pack is here

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

but the Cunard site is in the habit of switching to the USA version by detecting your IP address. So you could try opening it in Incognito / Private mode.

A blazer, any colour, would be fine on smart attire, it would put you beyond reproach. By mixing shirts over different nights you can alter the vibe quite easily.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tiny_Tim said:

Here's the link to the "What to pack page". The link can be found under "Experiences" on the Cunard US website.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

The part describing the Smart Attire dress code states the following.

"Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theater on a special occasion."

For the record, here is the definition for the Smart Attire dress code as stated in the daily programmes once on board.

"After 6:00pm on board, we ask that you wear smart attire. This means smart collared shirts, evening tops, trousers, skirts and dresses. Jackets are optional."

I just noticed they now state "smart collared shirt" in the onboard Smart Attire dress code (from my September QM2 voyage). Earlier versions of the daily programmes simply stated "collared shirt". Perhaps that helps inform our discussion about whether polo shirts are appropriate or not. I suppose that depends on whether polo shirts are considered "smart" or not.

Jackets are not required on Smart Attire evenings but a blazer would certainly be appropriate. Many gentlemen do wear jackets/blazers/sport coats on Smart Attire evenings even though they aren't required.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiny_Tim said:

Don’t worry about being a bit confused and you certainly are not starting any trouble; I don’t think even Cunard knows what they want from the dress code nor do they communicate that message clearly i.e: different descriptions of the code stated on the UK/US sites, then a differing description of What to Wear Today on the Daily Programme, then the famous “channel you inner James Bond” look for Gala nights. 
I bring my tux, a blue blazer, and a check sports coat with different dress shirts and a couple of ties ( but don’t wear ties every Smart Attire night). 
We also make use of the free self-serve laundry (free laundry detergent too) and irons in laundry room. 
Also, don’t go too crazy about Theme Nights, just enjoy being dressed up on a beautiful ship. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

But only Right Handed ironing boards, much to Jane's annoyance being a leftie

I am trying to think of possible circumstances in which I would spend even five minutes of a cruise ironing.🙂

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Ironing is a total no no on holiday.

I do all my ironing. It’s Zen to me, even onboard! Plus my DW messed up ironing (purposely?) when we first got married and I took over that chore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

I do all my ironing. It’s Zen to me, even onboard! Plus my DW messed up ironing (purposely?) when we first got married and I took over that chore. 

Hmm deja vu.

My husband pulled up flowers and left the weeds when we first got married. I think he did it on purpose. Whatever, it worked. He's not gardened since! ☺️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Ironing is a total no no on holiday.

Give over 😅   If I   couldn't get hold of an Iron on a cruise ship, I'd freak out .   My ritual every evening before six is to press out the folds of a clean I need to wear ,  and maybe, to press out the creases of the 'seat of the trousers' I may have worn the evening before . 😅    

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Give over 😅   If I   couldn't get hold of an Iron on a cruise ship, I'd freak out .   My ritual every evening before six is to press out the folds of a clean I need to wear ,  and maybe, to press out the creases of the 'seat of the trousers' I may have worn the evening before . 😅    

No, you give over. 🙂

It's a holiday and there's no place for an iron on my holiday but there's place which will press garments for me and anyone else and it's called the laundry.

So if steaming 'it' in the shower doesn't work, send it out!

Edit

and my evening [just] before six ritual involves a bottle and a glass or occasionally a piece of fruit and a can to go with the bottle and glass! 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Do you think people notice the fruits of your labours?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I certainly  feel better , even if  the shirt is worn under a jacket ... or when I walk out onto the dance floor...... without a creased backside   !  😅