Refit Pics

GaryEssex

Just now, Chart Room Princess said:

Thanks so much for sharing and keep the pictures coming if possible. I didn’t realize that they were doing such extensive work on the interior. We are staying in deck 8 cabins on the November 26 sailing so it will be interesting to see the changes.

We are on Deck 8 next year for a back to back. Can't wait to see how this refit/refresh/upgrades work goes

• Like 2

Yes that would raise some revenue to cover the costs of the re fit or part of it. Speculating that a new route to the back of the ship rather than through the restaurant as now happens? On another site . Looks like things that weren’t done in 2016 like the pools are being re furnished,,, great news!

22 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I wonder if they may be introducing more Queens or Princess Grill suites in various parts of deck 8 based on that first photo? Could explain why they've removed the walls?

If they were would they not have been on the deck plans when cruises post refit went on sale?

Cannot imagine anyone booked in a cabin on that deck being very happy to turn up and find the cabin gone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t see how they could make a new route without moving the Veranda Restaurant unless they make it substantially smaller. You can get to deck 8 without going through restaurant now. You just have to go up the stair case by The Princess Grill Restaurant from deck 7. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, david63 said:

If they were would they not have been on the deck plans when cruises post refit went on sale?

Cannot imagine anyone booked in a cabin on that deck being very happy to turn up and find the cabin gone!

Yep completely agree, that's the only thing that makes me doubtful of my theory.

There is a posibility that for the future voyages those cabins haven't been available to select, but that would take a lot of planning and I doubt that much thought would have been put into it (as well as a loss of revenue I'm sure).

I guess we'll have to wait and see!

12 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

To me it appears that the first photo is the Veranda Restaurant  as opposed to a stateroom area. 

That would make more sense and fits with the suggestion of access to outside de deck 8 from inside deck 8.There is a lot of wasted space outside entrance too so I suppose stripping the area out could make an access and a smart newly configured restaurant. Also as the cabins prefabricated and slotted in, presumably the old ones  would have to be taken out in one piece? As long as it’s finished by 16th!! 

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Also as the cabins prefabricated and slotted in, presumably the old ones  would have to be taken out in one piece?

Not quite - when a ship is being built the cabin modules are dropped in starting at the bottom and working up so to take them out in one piece would mean removing all the decks above

Guest SilverHengroen
34 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

To me it appears that the first photo is the Veranda Restaurant  as opposed to a stateroom area. 

No, definitely a cabin block stripped out, you can see the balcony dividers and side rails through the glass of the doors if you zoom in.

31 minutes ago, david63 said:

Not quite - when a ship is being built the cabin modules are dropped in starting at the bottom and working up so to take them out in one piece would mean removing all the decks above

They're slid in from the side, seperated by the steel that makes up the decks. Removing one cabin would not require the others to come down.

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MylesS said:

They're slid in from the side, seperated by the steal that makes up the decks. Removing one cabin would not require the others to come down.

If you were to do that then the whole of the outside walls/windows would have had to have been removed as would all of the balcony rails - which clearly have not

Impressive!  I like the care taken to cover her wonderful teak decks, too.  If I had to name the two personal favourite features of QM2 it would be her teak decks and her high ceilings.

Great to see the pools retiled, too... they were a mess.  

What is shown are indeed cabins but yes, let's hope the Veranda is gutted and reconfigured so you can at least get to the open deck without walking through the restaurant. Who on earth laid out this ship inside?

All very encouraging to see this investment in a unique and beloved vessel.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

As with all ships they are designed by interior designers and hotel designers - people who have never been on a cruise ship, let alone a cruise.

Thats not true, especially not for the QM2. Ships designer Stephen Payne elaborated often why the interior layout was designed the way it ways, and acknowledged it was not ideal. But due to the special needs of an Atlantic liner, the solution was the best available. It got worse though, in my opinion, by adding the cabins on deck 2 and three and removing the passageway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've known Stephen Payne since 1979 (!) and I think like all architects (my father was one), in the end, the client designed much of the ship.  Or at least meddled, muddled and messed up large aspects of it. That what clients do.  But I do think QM2's mascot should be mountain goat who, in the end, must have laid up her interiors.  QE2 you couldn't easily go up or down, QM2, you cannot go fore or aft without going up or down.  She must rate a negative star in the mobility impaired guide to cruise ships.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I've known Stephen Payne since 1979 (!) and I think like all architects (my father was one), in the end, the client designed much of the ship.  Or at least meddled, muddled and messed up large aspects of it. That what clients do.  But I do think QM2's mascot should be mountain goat who, in the end, must have laid up her interiors.  QE2 you couldn't easily go up or down, QM2, you cannot go fore or aft without going up or down.  She must rate a negative star in the mobility impaired guide to cruise ships.  

I really have never found a problem with moving round the ship and really can’t see that there is more than a minor one, unless you are in a wheelchair.