Refit Pics

GaryEssex

7 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

Thanks for posting these photos. I'm glad to see the QM2 is getting a fairly substantial refit. The QM2 is still my favorite ship that currently is in service.

Your welcome. And I hope she is still as good. I last sailed on her about 15 years ago on deck 5 on a NY to Southampton crossing. We are going to be doing a back to back next October and so looking forward to the so many sea days and being able to switch off from the outside world for 2 weeks of some serious Rest & Relaxing 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Just an observation when running around the deck l usually get in around 18 laps-2o laps before jumping in the pool then change for beer and evening meal . It does have a bit of a fruity aroma at the port end of deck 7 that seems to emanate from above. Is it some serious plumbing problem that needs to be fixed rather than a cabin refurb?

Pretty sure thats  from exhaust vents for the trash disposal. 

Glad to see/hear this. I would think she is now getting the refit she missed due to the pandemic shutdown. It will be great to see the changes. One of them should be (per earlier press releases) the move to Starlink for internet/email etc. Should be a massive jump in connection speed and stability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JT1101 said:

the move to Starlink for internet/email etc. Should be a massive jump in connection speed and stability. 

Doesn't need to go into dry dock for that - all other Carnival ships have been switched over whilst at sea.

What an impressive picture she makes even in drydock.I talked to a nice bar waitress during the last voyage before dry dock - she told me there will around 700 contractors coming on board, which I thought was not very much considering the lot work they plan to do. Gold ole Mary really needed a few spa weeks. The chairs on deck 8 aft- including the smokers spot are dissgrace- also the public restrooms, the last being really at the end of their tatter.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

there will around 700 contractors coming on board,

That would probably be the "advance party" who would be onboard as she went to dry dock and they would be ripping things out on the way - there would be many more waiting at the dock.

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

That would probably be the "advance party" who would be onboard as she went to dry dock and they would be ripping things out on the way - there would be many more waiting at the dock.

Possibly also, there is a distinction between contractors and shipyard employees?

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Possibly also, there is a distinction between contractors and shipyard employees?

I'd imagine contractors are hired for specific jobs & tasks. For example, contracting electricians, fitters, etc. I'm sure the shipyard can/would do it, but with a project this scale they probably outsource a lot of things, too.

17 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I'd imagine contractors are hired for specific jobs & tasks. For example, contracting electricians, fitters, etc. I'm sure the shipyard can/would do it, but with a project this scale they probably outsource a lot of things, too.

Quite.

15 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Last ship that I was on immediately prior to a refit where the contractors were boarding as we were disembarking were Eastern Europeans, who I was told go from ship to ship.

20 hours ago, JT1101 said:

Glad to see/hear this. I would think she is now getting the refit she missed due to the pandemic shutdown. It will be great to see the changes. One of them should be (per earlier press releases) the move to Starlink for internet/email etc. Should be a massive jump in connection speed and stability. 

Starlink had been installed prior to our cruise this past October and worked very well.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 5:55 AM, david63 said:

If they were would they not have been on the deck plans when cruises post refit went on sale?

Cannot imagine anyone booked in a cabin on that deck being very happy to turn up and find the cabin gone!

Upgrades?