Person overboard on symphony of the seas between Barcelona and Valencia

Bteam

On board the ship and the captain just notified us that we had someone go overboard about an hour ago and they have “recovered “ the individual and they’re being seen by the medical team.

I noticed that we were stopped in the water about a half hour before they made the announcement. 

What a way to start the first night of the cruise. 😬 I hope the person is safe. 

Bill

Edited by Bteam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bteam said:

On board the ship and the captain just notified us that we had someone go overboard about an hour ago and they have “recovered “ the individual and they’re being seen by the medical team.

I noticed that they were stopped in the water about a half hour before they made the announcement. 

What a way to start the first night of the cruise. I hope the person is safe. 

Bill

holy #$%^!!!

14 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Curious: Did you hear the "Oscar - Oscar - Oscar" (person overboard) crew announcement?

We did. They said it a few times port side. Then the ship started slowing down. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

That is one lucky individual to have survived an overboard. Wow...

Exactly our thoughts. We are also onboard the Symphony...it was dark, the water probably very cold...the ship had several searchlights and we saw at least 3 tenders/boats in the water.

Yes, a very lucky individual.

* This was our second "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar" experienced this year. Earlier this year, on the Quatum TP, a man jumped overboard between Tahiti and Hawaii...the ship rotated and searched...the U.S. Coast Guard took over the search  but regrettably, he was never found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JosieRhodes said:

They refuse to get wifi package!

Good for them.  We just got off Symphony in Barcelona on Sunday.  Got home, pulled phone out of safe, and looking fwd to cruising again so I can put phone back where it seems to belong (for me).

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You know, you can do that on land as well. 

Could, but don't want to chance the very slight risk of an interesting firework display if something went terribly wrong.  (If we're out of town and that happens, the neighbors can simply enjoy the show).

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:04 AM, bucfan2 said:

Good for them.  We just got off Symphony in Barcelona on Sunday.  Got home, pulled phone out of safe, and looking fwd to cruising again so I can put phone back where it seems to belong (for me).

Yeah unfortunately now they have free wifi, as mom tested positive for covid and quarantined.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This is still a thing?

I’m not sure how discovered had covid, whether self test or did at medical dept.  My parents are in 80s.  But all of a sudden was getting emails from her due to free wifi.  Mom wrote getting free bottled water, free wifi, and free movies and confined to cabin until Friday,  My dad is free to to leave cabin at will as he has tested negative.

Edited by JosieRhodes
Typo

About person overboard, said many stories going around ship in terms of how happened.  They were already asleep at time of incident.   Their general feeling is that the prices for “add ons” onboard have gone up compared to cruise last year.  Pretty much only cruise  Royal.

4 minutes ago, JosieRhodes said:

About person overboard, said many stories going around ship in terms of how happened.  They were already asleep at time of incident.   Their general feeling is that the prices for “add ons” onboard have gone up compared to cruise last year.  Pretty much only cruise  Royal.

Are you saying the person went overboard because the prices went up, but that they were asleep when they went overboard?  Confused.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Royal Caribbean came out officially and said it was a passenger who fell overboard. I've asked around but the most I've gotten is that he was around 70 and was alive when they brought him onboard after the incident. 

2 hours ago, Bteam said:

Royal Caribbean came out officially and said it was a passenger who fell overboard. I've asked around but the most I've gotten is that he was around 70 and was alive when they brought him onboard after the incident. 

A 70 year old going overboard? 🤔  Wonder if he’s terminally I’ll or something. Hope he gets the help he needs. I just don’t see a 70 year old acting a fool, but you never know.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

A 70 year old going overboard? 🤔  Wonder if he’s terminally I’ll or something. Hope he gets the help he needs. I just don’t see a 70 year old acting a fool, but you never know.

100% speculation, but it could be dementia-related.  

9 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Are you saying the person went overboard because the prices went up, but that they were asleep when they went overboard?  Confused.

Ha, wow when I reread realized how my use of pronouns was very bad!  Sorry, my only excuse that battling bronchitis myself right now.  So I meant that my parents were asleep when the incident occurred, and my parents heard multiple stories from others the next day regarding what happened, so they weren’t sure which story was correct.  I asked them how the cruise was going, and their perspective was based on comparison to other Royal Caribbean cruises only.  My parents felt prices had gone up a lot for like ship tours, steam/sauna, etc so their onboard credit wasn’t covering what they used it for in the past.  Before my Mom got quarantined, she said they were really enjoying some sort of show about presidents that had crossed the ocean.  Sounded like a series.

Edited by JosieRhodes
  • Thanks 1

After the Captain announced the passenger was recovered, there has been no additional (official) information from anyone on the ship.

* We are onboard the Symphony...another rumor is that the passenger who jumped, along with his family, were removed from the ship at the next port...in Valencia.

• Thanks 1