Tipping beyond daily and drink gratuities.

Marlo1958

5 hours ago, Marlo1958 said:

With the changes in dining and wine service,  what would appropriate tipping advice for Waiters and Somaliers above and beyond the daily gratuity or beverage service when you are served by different staff each meal?

not sure what changes you are referring to 

but   like in a lanf based  restaurant either give the  staff  extra  at the time  or go to the purser & add  extra  for either the  wait staff pool or  the bar staff pool

• Like 1

the tipping issue had gotten out of control...

we now feel, no matter that we do the included grat, give extra at the end, it is NEVER enough, we always feel someone gave more and they are disappointed...

to always feel it is not enough is very unsatisfying...

we thought the included grat would be a good idea, then we just dont have to deal with the envelopes and not have to think about it anymore...nope it is the same old issue..envelopes and still feeling it is not enough....

anyone else feel like that?

28 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

anyone else feel like that?

Not me. I never liked the envelopes back in the 90s when we first cruised. I don't like cash tipping in restaurants either. I'm much more content with O adding the gratuity and when restaurants add a service charge 

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

when restaurants add a service charge 

Not many restaurant here in Canada  add a service charge (at least the one we go to don't)

so we  add  a tip 

But I agree we prefer the auto tip  method to running around  putting cash in envelopes

• Like 2

Restaurant service charges are increasingly common in the UK. I regard it as a midway point between old fashioned cash tipping and the culture in, say, France where service is included in the menu price and nothing further is expected. 

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I like auto tip as well, but stateroom staff are no longer happy with that only, since so many still do the envelopes on top of that.

Have stateroom staff members actually told you they are not happy?

• Like 1

Tipping and gratuities are very personal and subjective. When commenting, someone will have a different opinion.  I also love the pre-cruise gratuities program.  With Oceania, unlike NCL, I also like that the Butlers are included which is why your daily gratuities are a bit more. 

My wife and I started our live out together as employee's of Shoney's Big Boy Restaurants.  We were both poor and both in college.  Our parents could not help us so we were on our own.  I was the Night Manager and she was the head server.  I share this so those that find my opinion off can see why I might feel the way I do.

Besides the gratuities program, I also tip extra.  The amount varies based on the service I receive. This might be when the service is provided by a server at a Restaurant, bar tender.  It might be upfront with a butler because of many conversations I have had with butlers in the past.  It might be at the end.  This is just my way and at this stage of my life, I am happy to share a bit more for those that make me feel good about my vacation. Hope that helps.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I like auto tip as well, but stateroom staff are no longer happy with that only, since so many still do the envelopes on top of that.

While we’re on vacation they work very hard. We always tip them extra and feel very good about it. Obviously, many people do the same.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, osandomir said:

We always tip them extra and feel very good about it.

A key factor for many, IMO.  On a food forum I used to play on, Americans would often say that tipping well in restaurants made them feel good. 

• Like 1

What is "above and beyond"?  If a person does something beyond their scope of duties, than that is a very nice gesture. Or it can be in hopes or earning a bigger tip. And if a passenger feels inclined to add additional "gratuities", than that too is fine. But  then you are really just paying for that addition service, and is really a "payment for services", not a gratuity. At what point does "above and beyond" kick in?  Let's say I ask for a drink and the bartender does a spectacular display of craftsmanship in making the drink and even sings while doing it. Is that above and beyond? If I tip additional money, than all I did was pay for entertainment that I did not ask for. There is a difference between gratuity and a payment for services. Maybe dishing out money makes you feel good, thats great too. Tell me where the line forms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

A key factor for many, IMO.  On a food forum I used to play on, Americans would often say that tipping well in restaurants made them feel good. 

What’s more important it also makes crew members feel good. No “greasing the palm” as we mostly tip at the end of the cruise. Some others can always find an excuse to not tipping above. At least I’ve never seen anybody trying to reduce automatic gratuities on Oceania.

Edited by osandomir

The auto tip is now expected, no longer seen as a tip but part of wages.

Next comes, how much is enough in the envelope or palm.

Many have said, including me, it seems to never be enough, as there is a competition for who can leave more.

I wish I could say, I feel good after extra tipping but more and more it has become a guessing game of how much should I give in order for it to be enough, in order for me to feel good. 

Of course I see no solution. There will always be upmanship.

You can see it even here, those who say how good they feel after leaving an undisclosed amount in the envelope or palm.

1 hour ago, mozfoz said:

What is "above and beyond"?  If a person does something beyond their scope of duties, than that is a very nice gesture. Or it can be in hopes or earning a bigger tip. And if a passenger feels inclined to add additional "gratuities", than that too is fine. But  then you are really just paying for that addition service, and is really a "payment for services", not a gratuity. At what point does "above and beyond" kick in?  Let's say I ask for a drink and the bartender does a spectacular display of craftsmanship in making the drink and even sings while doing it. Is that above and beyond? If I tip additional money, than all I did was pay for entertainment that I did not ask for. There is a difference between gratuity and a payment for services. Maybe dishing out money makes you feel good, thats great too. Tell me where the line forms.

Above and beyond is what you perceive it to be, and if you are happy with that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

but part of wages.

I think tips have always been regarded as part of wages by the member of staff. It is part of what they earn to pay for their own life. In the same way as any employee, it doesnt really matter what components make up your income so long that in total it is enough that it's met your expectations and allows you to live your life. 

If, as you indicate, there is "competition" or "upmanship" as to who tips more, then that is surely a sad reflection on a society. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonthomas said:

The auto tip is now expected, no longer seen as a tip but part of wages.

Next comes, how much is enough in the envelope or palm.

Many have said, including me, it seems to never be enough, as there is a competition for who can leave more.

I wish I could say, I feel good after extra tipping but more and more it has become a guessing game of how much should I give in order for it to be enough, in order for me to feel good. 

Of course I see no solution. There will always be upmanship.

You can see it even here, those who say how good they feel after leaving an undisclosed amount in the envelope or palm.

Don't overthink stuff so much. Just leave the autograts in places and give extra to anyone that you want to, and don't worry about if it's too much or too little. That's what we do. 

• Like 9

On 10/30/2023 at 3:31 AM, Marlo1958 said:

With the changes in dining and wine service,  what would appropriate tipping advice for Waiters and Somaliers above and beyond the daily gratuity or beverage service when you are served by different staff each meal?

This one is always fun. If you are seated a few times in the GDR in the same area, you may get the same staff. This has happened a few times. We'll tip over if the service is stellar. Sommeliers it depends whether the same one follows along. from rest to rest.They always seem to be different.So again we just leave the standard tip which they all share. Our cabin attendant & asst. are the ones we usually tip over & above. Normally we tip them $100 & $75. We adjust this to length of cruise. I'm basing this on our usual 14 day trips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1