Texting WiFi package

vacationlover_mn

Posting on behalf of my MIL.  Note, I tried searching around the web, and couldn’t find a definite answer.  Also tried posting on a popular social media site, but post was removed by admin?

I see carnival has 3 WiFi package levels.  Which is the cheapest, that allows you to text people not onboard?

Thanks!

Texting and not using either FB Instant Messaging or something like WhatsApp? I'm not sure anyone actually does that. I know that there are web based products that you can download to your computer to facilitate 'computer texting' in special situations but not sure about access onboard.

When we're at sea we Instant Message back home. That's available on all 3 levels of internet service. I'd guess that's how 99% of cruisers 'stay in touch' with family/friends.

If I'm missing something in translation, kindly advise. If your MIL isn't familiar with these web based communication tools, I'm sure you can easily teach her before she sails. It's no tougher than texting directly.

55 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Posting on behalf of my MIL.  Note, I tried searching around the web, and couldn’t find a definite answer.  Also tried posting on a popular social media site, but post was removed by admin?

I see carnival has 3 WiFi package levels.  Which is the cheapest, that allows you to text people not onboard?

Thanks!

SMS texting is not included in any plan, that is over the cellular network and not the Wifi network.

The Social plan includes access to Facebook Messenger. Sometimes, it is possible to send iMessage messages without purchasing a plan at all - only being connected to the ship wifi.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Just off Panorama. Did not buy a plan, was able to text family & friends back home using ships Wi-Fi and on airplane mode. We all have iPhones. 

Yes, IMessage works on IPhone but everyone that you're trying to communicate with also needs to have IPhones and have IMessage turned on

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mamiamjo said:

Yes, IMessage works on IPhone but everyone that you're trying to communicate with also needs to have IPhones and have IMessage turned on

I said we all have iPhones in my post. It may help someone in the same situation.

I never had an android phone, so I didn’t comment on that. 

• Like 1

For Android users you can use Messages by Google with RCS chats turned on (just go into the settings in the app).  On the Horizon earlier this year I was able to send texts to my wife and daughter to their Android phones as well without a wifi plan.  I do not believe you would be able to communicate with Iphone folks that way but if your group all uses Androids then this is the way.

• Like 2

my last two cruises i purchased the Social Plan and had no problem using WhatsApp.  I could use iMessage for the first few days, but then that stopped working.  My husband did not have any plan and his iMessage worked the entire cruise.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, mamiamjo said:

i prefer not to talk to people that make my bubbles green :)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, illinoisfive said:

my last two cruises i purchased the Social Plan and had no problem using WhatsApp.  I could use iMessage for the first few days, but then that stopped working.  My husband did not have any plan and his iMessage worked the entire cruise.  Go figure.

i'm going to guess that he had icloud private relay turned on and you didn't.  

Just for info.  You get 15 percent off the price of the selected internet plan if you order on line prior to the cruise.  But don't get fooled.  The prices listed have already been discounted so don't expect another 15 percent.  On board, you will pay the extra 15 percent.  Would be nice if Carnival spelled out the details.

• Like 1

"If" your MIL really needs to stay connected to family then use the social plan.  My husband and I are Android users but some of our family are Apple. We use What's App sometimes to be in communication. Either way call Carnival and ask what will work best for her. We're paying for the Premium Wi-Fi mainly for business, if we didn't have to do that we would do the cheap plan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

"If" your MIL really needs to stay connected to family then use the social plan.  My husband and I are Android users but some of our family are Apple. We use What's App sometimes to be in communication. Either way call Carnival and ask what will work best for her. We're paying for the Premium Wi-Fi mainly for business, if we didn't have to do that we would do the cheap plan.

All the information about the Internet plans is on Carnival's website - you have to go to Carnival's website to buy a plan (assuming you're buying before the cruise to save a little money). What's the point in calling?

On 10/30/2023 at 6:00 PM, mz-s said:

The Social plan includes access without purchasing a plan at all - only being connected to the ship wifi.

Right sometimes iMesmge messages and Facebook messenger have worked for me without purchasing the wifi. But it is hard to know when this will work. I have sailed on four cruises in the last 18 and got a few dozen messages via this but it didn't always work. If you know you need to send messages then buy a plan from the ship or contact your cellular provider since most now have ship board plans. AT&T has an unlimited text and calling plan for $100.00.