Spirit of Adventure: riding out the storm ?

FannyLiz

21 hours ago, DemureMayo said:

The cabin looks like the cabin I returned to. I've got no explanation for why smaller items didn't end up on the deck, yet larger items did. Wheeled cases don't really fit in the wardrobes, so I can see why they are out.

The swell reached 10m and above, causing rolls of more than 20 degrees. The waves on top of the swell were reaching deck 8. Water entered deck 8 cabins.

Several balconies on deck 7 were smashed, many glass barriers on the promenade were smashed. Some deck 12 glass barriers were broken. On deck 7 the atrium glass was smashed by the library. This isn't superficial damage.

Please don't minimise what happened if you were not there.

Suitcases fit under beds

• Like 4

On 11/7/2023 at 8:04 PM, Spence55 said:

Surely the main point is quite basic. The Spirit of Adventure was diverted, and moored at Falmouth for over three days at the start of what has become a completely reorganised cruise. Passenger safety was clearly paramount.  Spirit of Discovery left the calm waters around the Canary Islands early, and ended up in the same storm, causing injury and distress.However it reached Portsmouth in good time for its next cruise. Saga pic’s trading results are indeed lamentable. Its main assets, on a weak balance sheet, are the two cruise liners. So it’s reasonable for those directly affected to ask if their safety was compromised in order for the company to ‘sweat’ its asset. 

That's awful speculation saying guests safety was compromised over sweat it's asset. Arm chair experts 🤦

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

Yes journalists were touting on web sites. There's truth v speculation. Personally I trust Saga and not interested in coach experts views

The report on the Telegraph was from someone who was on SOD during the 'incident' and is entirely consistent with the experiences of other passengers that I have interacted with.

You are dismissing the stories of eye witnesses, not 'couch experts'

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

That's awful speculation saying guests safety was compromised over sweat it's asset. Arm chair experts 🤦

It could be argued that you're speculating by blindly trusting Saga without the full facts and suggesting that the picture with the suitcases was in some way not a true representation.  Seems like we're all armchair experts 🤦‍♂️.  I actually think that most people just want honest answers, and perhaps those involved are due some sympathy?  I'm glad to see that most posters have extended that courtesy.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Both our cabin steward and Butler  said it was the worst they had ever faced.

Whose fault if any is debatable , that it was extremely unpleasant and for many very frightening not debatable. 

They are people really in the know. I wonder if Saga will lose any of their loyal crew because of this. We've met several who have worked for them since Saga Rose, over 20 years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

Suitcases fit under beds

And what bearing does this have on the events?

Are these people's accounts being called into question because their suitcases were not under their beds?

Edited by DemureMayo

2 hours ago, Kohima said:

Let’s hope that the meeting and mingling of the 2 ships in Lisbon tomorrow will give the crews a much needed boost. I hope they are given time and opportunity to meet up with relatives and friends on the other ship.

Let’s hope everyone returns to the right ship. 😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kohima said:

Let’s hope that the meeting and mingling of the 2 ships in Lisbon tomorrow will give the crews a much needed boost. I hope they are given time and opportunity to meet up with relatives and friends on the other ship.

We were on Adventure on NYE 2021 & were not allowed off. People on SoD were allowed off because they had been in the Canaries for a week. Love the idea of tomorrow's meet up & visits between the ships.

12 hours ago, Kohima said:

They will be docking soon, 15 minutes apart in time - it would be good to see some photos, especially if they are docked next to each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The report on the Telegraph was from someone who was on SOD during the 'incident' and is entirely consistent with the experiences of other passengers that I have interacted with.

You are dismissing the stories of eye witnesses, not 'couch experts'

If you read it correctly I am not dismissing accounts on board but speculation from those not on board

To be fair showing an interest in what’s happened is normal if you are a present/past/future passenger.

The only people that will have a true insight and opinion into what happened are the ones that were onboard at the time and Saga management. Perhaps we should just wait and listen to what they have to say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kentish belle said:

Friends who were on the Discovery cruise have just received an email from Saga saying they will be reimbursed for the whole cruise!

A few thoughts

Firstly , Well done, also good PR

Secondly, perhaps they  felt unsure of ground and wanted to nip any claims in bud.

More importantly what about the crew,  who deserve somthing for their commitment and the fact it was just as bad for them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

A few thoughts

Firstly , Well done, also good PR

Secondly, perhaps they  felt unsure of ground and wanted to nip any claims in bud.

More importantly what about the crew,  who deserve somthing for their commitment and the fact it was just as bad for them

Various crew on SoA's inaugral cruise told us about their fantastic treatment in the run up to that cruise including hotels in Dubai. On the Xmas cruise they were still telling us about it & the awful 'goings on' on a ships owned by possibly the biggest group.

Let's hope that SAGA are continuing what they were doing back then. They have a very loyal crew who deserve the best.

I also hope that anyone with more than bruises is getting more than a free cruise.

For the record I still have several bruises from the 'rough' seas SoA encountered at the end of last month. It's just me bruising easily & my lack of balance. Never been able to ride a bike.