Warning: On Emerald now and told Princess app does not work on android cell phones

satxdiver

45 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It's certainly a lot better than pre-Starlink!

Another good thing about the Starlink system is that the service is much less susceptible to "overcrowding" as compared with what it was pre-Starlink. The last few times we sailed, with Starlink, there was no perceptible difference in performance, download speed etc, regardless of when we tried it. 6AM, late at night or noon on a sea day, it didn't seem to matter, the download speed was a pretty consistent 2.5-3 no matter how many people were trying to use it. In the old days trying to access the system on a sea day was horrible.

Just now, lx200gps said:

Another good thing about the Starlink system is that the service is much less susceptible to "overcrowding" as compared with what it was pre-Starlink. The last few times we sailed, with Starlink, there was no perceptible difference in performance, download speed etc, regardless of when we tried it. 6AM, late at night or noon on a sea day, it didn't seem to matter, the download speed was a pretty consistent 2.5-3 no matter how many people were trying to use it. In the old days trying to access the system on a sea day was horrible.

Amen to that!

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

All issues resolved on Android version 11.0.09.0

Hmmm...strange juju going on with my Galaxy S22!  I *know* that I have either the latest or next to latest version installed...but via the "Apps" section under Settings it says version 3.0.10872!  WHAT?  OK...I'll go straight to the source (Google Play Store) and get this straightened out...Wait!  Play store does not list a version at all for the Medallion App!  (Unless I'm just blind and cannot see it!)  I thought they *always* listed what version it was...???  End result...I have no idea what version I've got!

14 hours ago, satxdiver said:

On the Emerald now and went down to the IT "grurus" and they told me that the Princess app works on iphones but no android which I have.  After fooling around on my androids their final answer is that there are "bugs' yet to be worked out on androids since it was written for iphones!  So if you have an android forget using the princess on ship app!!  My Carnival and RCL apps work just fine but not the Princess app.  Maybe it is time to fire their app team and hire a Carnival team!

BTW I am getting 2.6 MB down and 0.9 up.  What happened to to starlink?  

On the Emerald now and my android is working fine 🙂 

• Like 1

Obviously I used the term "guru" in a derogatory manner.  Yes the "guru" did mention that he works primarily with high priced apple and knew little about android systems.  I have a S9+ running version 10.  It has always worked before on Princess ships as late as last April so now is a surprise.  The person did say the latest version of their app had bugs in it on android and they were working on a fix.  Unfortunately I took the app off my device the night before we boarded and downloaded the "latest app" which probably was a not too bright idea.  The old version of the app may have worked better.  Earlier this year we sailed on a Carnival and a RCCL ships and their app worked fine with no problems.  Seems like Princess has a never ending problem with their IT team.  

I included the internet speed for information only as all I use it for is to check my email and read the local electronic version of the daily paper.  It works fine for me given no more than I use it. 

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:
20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

All issues resolved on Android version 11.0.09.0

Hmmm...strange juju going on with my Galaxy S22!  I *know* that I have either the latest or next to latest version installed...but via the "Apps" section under Settings it says version 3.0.10872!  WHAT?  OK...I'll go straight to the source (Google Play Store) and get this straightened out...Wait!  Play store does not list a version at all for the Medallion App!  (Unless I'm just blind and cannot see it!)  I thought they *always* listed what version it was...???  End result...I have no idea what version I've got!

Android OS = 11.0.09.0

MedallionClass app version = 3.0.10872

Last MC update = 11.01.23

@satxdiver that's the same phone I've got!! Have you tried the 2019 way of getting in? Uses intranet not app: (ship).princess.com so Emerald.Princess.com

36 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Android OS = 11.0.09.0

MedallionClass app version = 3.0.10872

Last MC update = 11.01.23

@satxdiver that's the same phone I've got!! Have you tried the 2019 way of getting in? Uses intranet not app: (ship).princess.com so Emerald.Princess.com

I have used that for several years, though it only works when on board 

• Like 1

As the thread on the Ocean Medallion App has been mentioned a number of times here I'll drop some relevant info.

The "Screen Reader Accessibility Mode" bug was introduced on 'some' Android devices with the

Nov 1st 2023 release of the Princess Medallion Class App, specifically version 3.0.108702.

Prior to this, my whole family have used Android devices on multiple Princess cruises with no issues. The brand of the device makes little difference to the susceptibility of bugs by less than stellar software engineering teams.

So, if you have a Samsung Galaxy device, AND you have version 3.0.108702 of the Medallion App, AND it's stuck in screen reader mode (announcing page objects to you and pages/tabs are un-scrollable), AND you do not use any Accessibility features on your phone, there is a fix to restore normal app functionality:

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Reset (near bottom of screen),

Reset Accessibility Settings,

Click Reset settings button,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

Thanks to member Hagainps for finding and sharing this workaround.

Once again:

• DO NOT do this if you rely on Accessibility settings on your device.
  • This only applies to Samsung Galaxy phones. I do not know the equivalent settings on Pixels or other brands.

I was engaged all day yesterday online with a Princess Customer relations agent and got some information passed to the Engineering team, who according to what I was told, have identified the issue and I'll be hearing an update on Monday (tomorrow) hopefully.

Hopefully a new version will be released quickly to the Google Playstore to fix this issue.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

...I'll go straight to the source (Google Play Store) and get this straightened out...Wait!  Play store does not list a version at all for the Medallion App!  (Unless I'm just blind and cannot see it!)  I thought they *always* listed what version it was...???

Rick & Jeanie, it's still there. When you're on the app details 'page', look down the page a little and click on "About this app", scroll a little again, and in the App info section you will see the app Version displayed.
As of 3:55pm PSDT on Nov 5 2023 it reads 3.0.108702

23 hours ago, satxdiver said:

On the Emerald now and went down to the IT "grurus" and they told me that the Princess app works on iphones but no android which I have.

Is this by design, or just a sad summary of the global innovators' skill ?

After the update to 3.0.10872 I started having having problems with the app on my Pixel 6 .  I eventually found and turned off LiveChat which was a real nuisance.  I reloaded the app thinking there was a problem with the first download but the problem was still there.  I kept getting popup messages to tap every key twice and eventually got logged into the app.

I read on the main Princess board that Princess is aware that there was a problem with that update and hope to have it fixed tomorrow.  We shall see....      

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I may have to retract/redact that. Now having some issues (but I also have an iPhone because, why not) 😺

I can confirm there are issues. Pixel is at Android 14. Samsung is at 13. Tis the app at fault. They are working on it.

I have an Android phone (Samsung S22) and have not experienced any issues preparing for our upcoming trip in December. I've used it to do all the preparation work (travel docs, medallion orders, meal reservations, excursions) and so forth. Hopefully my luck will continue when we're aboard. But I'll still bring hard copies of all our documents just to be safe!

10 hours ago, nzOdy said:

As the thread on the Ocean Medallion App has been mentioned a number of times here I'll drop some relevant info.

The "Screen Reader Accessibility Mode" bug was introduced on 'some' Android devices with the

Nov 1st 2023 release of the Princess Medallion Class App, specifically version 3.0.108702.

Prior to this, my whole family have used Android devices on multiple Princess cruises with no issues. The brand of the device makes little difference to the susceptibility of bugs by less than stellar software engineering teams.

So, if you have a Samsung Galaxy device, AND you have version 3.0.108702 of the Medallion App, AND it's stuck in screen reader mode (announcing page objects to you and pages/tabs are un-scrollable), AND you do not use any Accessibility features on your phone, there is a fix to restore normal app functionality:

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

Once again:

• This only applies to Samsung Galaxy phones. I do not know the equivalent settings on Pixels or other brands.

I was engaged all day yesterday online with a Princess Customer relations agent and got some information passed to the Engineering team, who according to what I was told, have identified the issue and I'll be hearing an update on Monday (tomorrow) hopefully.

Hopefully a new version will be released quickly to the Google Playstore to fix this issue.

Thank you!  That worked!

• Like 1

I just looked at my One Plus 8 phone. Everything on the app works fine and I'm green lane. I looked in the play store and it says there is an update available. Should I do it or not? Can I leave as is or will it automatically update at some point? I leave on Sunday.

13 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yes...but did you upgrade to the  newest version?  That's the whole issue at hand.

No, I don't usually upgrade any apps unless forced to. I'm using the version I loaded in June when we first booked our cruise. 

5 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

No, I don't usually upgrade any apps unless forced to. I'm using the version I loaded in June when we first booked our cruise. 

I suggest holding off on this particular upgrade until we hear back from others...that's what I'm going to do!

17 hours ago, nzOdy said:

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

Once again:

This worked great. Thanks for the info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bollycats said:

I just looked at my One Plus 8 phone. Everything on the app works fine and I'm green lane. I looked in the play store and it says there is an update available. Should I do it or not? Can I leave as is or will it automatically update at some point? I leave on Sunday.

Bollycats, if the app version you have now is working,  do not risk updating it.  I could tell you how to fix the buggy app on a Galaxy phone,  not sure how to do it for a Pixel though.

On your 2nd question,  if you haven't enabled automatic updates, it shouldn't update itself. You might find one day the installed app itself just tells you to update.  Hopefully you can get through your cruise before that happens.