Simply More wine at lunch and dinner

Harry Lake

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

When they switched from OLife to Simply More, iirc the furthest out you could book OLife was spring 2025 with actual dates going a bit further out on Vista than the other ships. Someone else may have specific dates. 

Until then there will be a mix of packages - some on SM, some on OLife, some on nothing. I wonder if destination services will have the bigger challenge than wine servers applying different policies to different people? 

I was under the impression if you booked your cruise before Oct. 2023 you had a choice between Olife and SM.If you booked your cruise after Oct. 2023 only SM is offered .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

When they switched from OLife to Simply More, iirc the furthest out you could book OLife was spring 2025 with actual dates going a bit further out on Vista than the other ships. Someone else may have specific dates. 

Until then there will be a mix of packages - some on SM, some on OLife, some on nothing. I wonder if destination services will have the bigger challenge than wine servers applying different policies to different people? 

We booked Vista cruise we are on prior to SM then converted to SM primarily thinking it was worth it to get 2nd wi fi. Well, we were mislead because everyone got 2 wifi s beginning in Oct. Then SM still turned out to be slightly better for us when we did the math, so not a big deal. Due to a change in ports, one of our shore excursions was cancelled and we booked one in the new port. Neither shore excursion desk nor pursar could give us accurate info regarding what shipboard credit we had that is restricted to shore excursions under SM and what amount can be used for everything on the ship. They told me they are getting a new system soon that will address this problem. We do know from info I received by calling O prior to our cruise that we are using nearly all of our SM shore excursion credit, so I am not really upset by our particular situation, but could be a big problem in other situations, especially when multiple ports are cancelled and others substituted. Simply More did not really simplify things IMHO.

We have always taken the "upgrade" wine/drinks package and we get "BIB" on our cards.  I asked what this meant and was told "Best In Bar".  Anyway it covers everything we would like.

We are taking this upgrade from Simply More for our next cruise - $30 per day pp.

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

We have always taken the "upgrade" wine/drinks package and we get "BIB" on our cards.  I asked what this meant and was told "Best In Bar".  Anyway it covers everything we would like.

We are taking this upgrade from Simply More for our next cruise - $30 per day pp.

No, that means you and your traveling companion are the “best in the bar!”🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Acrusa said:

I was under the impression if you booked your cruise before Oct. 2023 you had a choice between Olife and SM.If you booked your cruise after Oct. 2023 only SM is offered .

We might be saying the same thing? Iirc OLife could be applied to new bookings initiated through June 30 2023 or so. If that's the right date, starting July 1st all new bookings made were SM. Except SM only applied to cruises starting Oct 1 2023 or later. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Acrusa said:

We booked the Vista earlier in October and have the SM Beer and wine package.  In the past, we have had the OLife.  

I cannot remember, but do the lunch/dinner SM drinks have to be consumed in the dining venues?  For instance, if we are sitting around the pool during lunch hours, could we order a SM wine or beer?  Or in the evenings, while listening to music in a common area, could we have a SM pre-dinner wine/beer? 

Also, my DH wants to know if he can order a beer during lunch, and order another, unopened, beer to take back to the stateroom?  He/we are not big drinkers, but DH likes to have a beer while getting ready for dinner.

21 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Do both passengers in a stateroom have to purchase the upgraded package?  While DH prefers beer and wine, I like to try other types of liquor drinks.  However, I am not sure that an upgrade would be worth it.  I can probably purchase a drink or two, a day, and come out better.

@Iamthesea The SM covers dining venues only.  Sounds like you would be happier with upgrading at $30 pp to the Prestige where you can order drinks anytime anywhere. No both people do not have to purchase it.   It’s a matter of math as there is an auto tip added to each drink so if you have one or two the upgrade is probably worth it.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Under the basic plan, included drinks are only served in the dining venues. If one wants drinks outside those venues, they must upgrade to the premium package or pay for the drinks individually.

Fwiw, on the Vista now, there is a partition that officially separates Waves from the pool area. When we were on the Vista, you had to sit inside the partition area to get the included drinks.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Under the basic plan, included drinks are only served in the dining venues. If one wants drinks outside those venues, they must upgrade to the premium package or pay for the drinks individually.

Fwiw, on the Vista now, there is a partition that officially separates Waves from the pool area. When we were on the Vista, you had to sit inside the partition area to get the included drinks.

Presumably though you can order whatever you like from the staff who circulate around the pool IF you have the upgraded package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Presumably though you can order whatever you like from the staff who circulate around the pool IF you have the upgraded package.

Absolutely 

39 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Is Waves included in SM beverages?  

Yes! When it is open for dining and while you are eating within the area.

Thanks all!  It's coming back to me.    Is there an advantage to ordering the drink package prior to the cruise?  If not, do you have to purchase the upgrade on the first day of the cruise, or can I wait to see if I feel we need to purchase?

I will both most likely upgrade, but will take a look at drink prices first.

Edited by Iamthesea

It will be interesting to see what happens when non SM are the minority guests on a cruise. We are next on an O ship in November 2024, and booked before SM came out and it makes no sense for us to change to SM. 

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thanks all!  It's coming back to me.    Is there an advantage to ordering the drink package prior to the cruise?  If not, do you have to purchase the upgrade on the first day of the cruise, or can I wait to see if I feel we need to purchase?

I will both most likely upgrade, but will take a look at drink prices first.

You can purchase any day you want to start in once onboard.  Good way to test for a day or so to see if you really want it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ToxM said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when non SM are the minority guests on a cruise. We are next on an O ship in November 2024, and booked before SM came out and it makes no sense for us to change to SM. 

I think the shore excursions will draw enough people. And unless O is totally inept they will have crunched their numbers.

26 minutes ago, Harry Lake said:

I think the shore excursions will draw enough people. And unless O is totally inept they will have crunched their numbers.

Well I actually meant I wonder how the staff will deal with people who are essentially off plan 😉

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Is there an advantage to ordering the drink package prior to the cruise?  If not, do you have to purchase the upgrade on the first day of the cruise, or can I wait to see if I feel we need to purchase?.

I like to wait a day or two before pulling the trigger if I decide to upgrade my drinks package. Probably on the first full day or soon thereafter there will be the Captain’s welcome party and an open bar. Also, there are events early in the cruise for repeaters. Both of these are free drink opportunities. Also, I believe embarkation day is counted as a full day for the drinks package, although you might not get on board until the afternoon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Well I actually meant I wonder how the staff will deal with people who are essentially off plan 😉

I think the staff will have no trouble handling who has a drinks package and who doesn’t. In the beginning, you’ll be showing some servers your room card, but they have good memories and the word spreads. This is their industry and they are very good at it..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I like to wait a day or two before pulling the trigger if I decide to upgrade my drinks package. Probably on the first full day or soon thereafter there will be the Captain’s welcome party and an open bar. Also, there are events early in the cruise for repeaters. Both of these are free drink opportunities. Also, I believe embarkation day is counted as a full day for the drinks package, although you might not get on board until the afternoon.

Excellent points!!!  Thank you so much.

We made a point of speaking with the sommeliers. They have little to do since they are mainly pouring glasses or opening wine brought on board. They all appreciated being asked about which level they had achieved, etc. 

On 11/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, PhD-iva said:

Where on the ship do you upgrade?