How does one set up a trivia team?

IrishKathy

We'll be boarding the Splendor on Nov. 13 in Rome for 21 days.   We definitely want to play trivia but are not sure where one finds partners early in the cruise.  Do you wander up to the Observation Lounge late afternoon the first day and announce you are looking for fellow players?   Do you meet fellow travelers at the Veranda Café that first afternoon?   Inquiring minds need to know.   Many thanks from a first-time Regent couple.

On another topic, can you play duplicate bridge and trivia the same day?  I note that bridge is scheduled from 1:30 to 4:30 and trivia at 4:30.  We'd hate to be racing down the stairs to go from bridge to trivia.  Help.

Easy answer -- Bridge and Trivia are on the same deck (Card Room and Observation Lounge) so getting from one to the other is trivial (heh). Trivia starts at 4:30 on the dot, so if you can find teammates who can get to the Observation Lounge early-ish (4:15 or so) and stake out your seats (collect chairs if need be), that would be ideal.

As for finding a team, we've just ambushed people as they walked in on the first day. You can also try and build a team using the Roll Call here on Cruise Critic.  I believe the limit is 6 people, though I think I've seen bigger groups from time to time, usually folks who are already traveling together. The trivia master will help find loners and stragglers a team.

During the cruise some members of your team might not show up, and it's completely acceptable to join forces with another small group on those days.

Edited by RELS
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, IrishKathy said:

We'll be boarding the Splendor on Nov. 13 in Rome for 21 days.   We definitely want to play trivia but are not sure where one finds partners early in the cruise.  Do you wander up to the Observation Lounge late afternoon the first day and announce you are looking for fellow players?   Do you meet fellow travelers at the Veranda Café that first afternoon?   Inquiring minds need to know.   Many thanks from a first-time Regent couple.

On another topic, can you play duplicate bridge and trivia the same day?  I note that bridge is scheduled from 1:30 to 4:30 and trivia at 4:30.  We'd hate to be racing down the stairs to go from bridge to trivia.  Help.

For the first trivia on Splendor's sailing departing on 20 October, the CD (Dru Pavlov) called it but the Social Hostess (now Amelia) was also there helping people find teammates.  There is a limit of six players. 

Dru also had a thing I hadn't seen before where the CD staff (he (when not calling, of course), the Assistant, the Social Hostess, and whichever of the Production Cast were there helping pass out papers, pencils, etc.) would form a team.  The questions were all supposed to be new to them.  If you beat the cruise staff--regardless of whether you placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) everyone on your team received a Regent Reward point.  The first-place team received three points for the win, second two, and third one point.  You also got a point if you did the daily Mensa quiz and got all five questions correct--the Social Hostess announces the answers immediately after trivia concludes and hands out the next day's quiz--or you can pick them up in the library.

Redemptions started at 5 points--a waterproof deck of cards or a hat--and went up to 55 points for a backpack (a real one, not the cinch kind).  There was at least one morning and one afternoon opportunity to collect RR points--bocce, shuffleboard, corn hole, ring toss, golf putting, etc..  Sometimes you could get a point just for participating.  

Trivia is great fun.  Do not be shy about walking up to a couple of people the first Trivia and ask if they need two more to make a team.  They will either say the rest of their team is not there yet, or yes they could use 2 more people.  The team size is limited to 6.

A few years ago on a Silversea cruise, we met a nice couple at the pool deck and chatted for a bit.  The next day they approached us and asked if we would be on their trivia team- they'd been "scouting" various potential partners and for whatever reason, we made the cut!  We ended up as a team of 6 and had a grand time.

My experience with Bridge players and trivia is that after the first day you just needed to hold seats for them and they would arrive normally before trivia started and at worst they would only miss one or two questions.  The other comment on trivia is that it helps to have someone there ahead of time to save seats for your group since on some days (mostly sea days) the room fills up quickly and it is hard to find seating for six.

• Like 1

I have found teams just come together naturally. Last cruise we found that a couple gals on our team just stopped showing up so we found replacements. Last year on a 94 day cruise we had the same team every day; 3, 4, 5, or 6 would show up but I don’t like to bring someone on just for a day; I guess a quirk of mine. 

I pretty much have given up bridge so I can be at trivia early. I get there one to two hours early to set up chairs and will either read the newspaper or study trivia. 

I guess we are all different. 

Marc

PS two teammates from a 2017 cruise will be on grandeur inaugural and I hope they will still let me be on their team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, IrishKathy said:

On my last cruise on the Explorer, 19 days, duplicate bridge was played in the Compass Rose dining room and ended at 4PM. Enough time to have tea and cake in the lounge and make it to trivia at 4:30.