Have you ever experienced a ship full of sick passengers?

SelectSys

Just got off last week from a transpacific cruise from Honolulu to Sydney.  About 8 days in the ship seemed to absolutely in a toxic mix of colds, flu and a bit of COVID.  Has this ever happened to any of you?  It so, what techniques due you use to avoid getting sick?  My own main resolution was to avoid the buffet as what I say in terms of food handling by passengers left lots to be desired.

Finally, are “sick ships” becoming more common as passengers avoid going to the sick bay to avoid being isolated in their cabins as well as medical chargers which were running over $1k and more on our ship? 

20 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

You’re just as likely to experience a “sick” shopping centre, church, school or workplace. There’s nothing special about a ship that spreads illness other than people in proximity to each other.

It’s most definitely the close proximity which seemed to drive the rate of disease spread.  Plus sharing food in a crowded restaurant/buffet setting rather than at home helped too in my mind.  

The “wave” seemed to just explode after largely being at sea for about 10 days with very limited port stops.  I had never heard/seen anything like it.

It actually was humorous when we made a port stop in New Zealand and while we were at tourist location and someone from off the ship wondered about all the people coughing and sneezing.

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

You’re just as likely to experience a “sick” shopping centre, church, school or workplace. There’s nothing special about a ship that spreads illness other than people in proximity to each other.

I'm not going to agree.  The exposure on a cruise ship is greater.  Crowded, more exposure points, and likely a more susceptible population than in a shopping center or workplace.  

To the question, I don't think we have been on a sick ship.  I guess if we were it would be masks, frequent hand washing, and semi-isolation (is that even possible?).    If something is out there I will generally catch it.   So, I would likely be in the cabin trying to recuperate.  Mrs Ldubs has a strong constitution, so would likely be OK.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

well it is that special time of year when respiratory viruses ramp up.  What most people call "flu" is not Influenza, but any of the other severe respiratory viruses that pass around.  I am glad that being retired I am no longer exposed to the workplace crud that the kids bring home from school in September. They pass to their parents who bring it to work to share with those of us who are missing out.

I think by now we all know how to protect ourselves

Tomorrow I am getting my RSV vaccine.  I had my Influenza last month and am getting the new Covid  vaccine sometime late Nov early Dec. I think goodness that to y knowledge I have never had Influenza.  I do think of it, however, every winter when I travel

I have a trip in early January.  I will be spending 4 days in London prior, so I will be protecting myself with mask both to try to keep crud at bay and to keep from bringing anything on ship.

You cannot do anything but take your own precautions.  I think the ships excel at keeping the food borne issues to a minimum but there is only so much engineering you can do with the airborne viruses and we each must try to do our part. 

• Thanks 2

Not to challenge your perception, but define "a ship full of sick passengers".  Other than your subjective observation, what quantitative information do you have to define your experience? Were general announcements made specific to these illnesses on board - in particular covid?  High levels of passenger illnesses would generally result in that.

Typically, by regulation when 2% of the ship population is reported as ill, that data is reported to the CDC.  On a ship of 2,000 passengers and 1,000 crew, that would only be 60 people, as example, which is a very small total of those on board.  Measures - which are mandated - are then clearly taken on board to mitigate that: obvious extra cleaning, buffet restrictions (typically no self serve, staff serve only), quarantining of ill passengers, limiting of certain venues, etc.  Did any of that occur in your experience?

While I am certain you saw a number of passengers that indicated illness, the statement of the ship being full of sick passengers can potentially result in an exaggerated interpretation of the situation.  I'm just looking for clarificaion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not to challenge your perception, but define "a ship full of sick passengers".  Other than your subjective observation, what quantitative information do you have to define your experience? Were general announcements made specific to these illnesses on board - in particular covid?  High levels of passenger illnesses would generally result in that.

Typically, by regulation when 2% of the ship population is reported as ill, that data is reported to the CDC.  On a ship of 2,000 passengers and 1,000 crew, that would only be 60 people, as example, which is a very small total of those on board.  Measures - which are mandated - are then clearly taken on board to mitigate that: obvious extra cleaning, buffet restrictions (typically no self serve, staff serve only), quarantining of ill passengers, limiting of certain venues, etc.  Did any of that occur in your experience?

While I am certain you saw a number of passengers that indicated illness, the statement of the ship being full of sick passengers can potentially result in an exaggerated interpretation of the situation.  I'm just looking for clarificaion. 

I'll suggest the Diamond Princess back in 2008, when cruising Asia is a perfect example of a ship full of sick pax.

Day after departing Okinawa, the Medical Centre had over 200 sick calls in an hour due to Noro. By the time the ship reached the disembarkation port, more than 40% of pax had reported to the Medical Centre with Noro.

Those numbers didn't include the many infected that didn't report to the Medical Centre and then quarantine, so they remained taking tours and infecting others throughout the ship. Also doesn't include those with Cruz Crud, or other respiratory ailments.

The numbers are factual, as our son was S/2/O and I also knew the Captain from my time of working for the company. 

• Haha 1

My colleagues at the US Public Health Service (USPH) estimate that every cruise ship carrying over 2,000 pax and sailing from a US Port has just embarked a minimum of 60 people who are infected with Norovirus, COVID, the Flu, or some other communicable illness.

Some of those people know they have it, but are trying to hide the symptoms so they do not get quarantined.

Others have just contracted it on an airplane or in a hotel and are not yet symptomatic.

Both of these groups are - or will be - trying to spread the illness to you.

Those same folks at the USPH have also identified the best locations for you to get infected on a cruise ship; Food Buffets and Public Toilets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I'll suggest the Diamond Princess back in 2008, when cruising Asia is a perfect example of a ship full of sick pax.

Day after departing Okinawa, the Medical Centre had over 200 sick calls in an hour due to Noro. By the time the ship reached the disembarkation port, more than 40% of pax had reported to the Medical Centre with Noro.

Those numbers didn't include the many infected that didn't report to the Medical Centre and then quarantine, so they remained taking tours and infecting others throughout the ship. Also doesn't include those with Cruz Crud, or other respiratory ailments.

The numbers are factual, as our son was S/2/O and I also knew the Captain from my time of working for the company. 

Agree, and to your example you have documented data to support the claim.  My curiosity is to whether of not the OP has anything similar with their claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm sure that would be somehow useful.  If I'm around constant sneezing & sniffing I'm not going to worry too much about definitions.  

• Haha 1