Voom internet pre-cruise purchase

gizbug

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes you can do the same things as always and there is no downfall. You just all have to share the same user name and password.

Thank you so much.  I've really been getting ripped off in the past I guess.   Funny thing is we all use the same user name and password anyway, so I guess the only difference next cruise will be the cost of the internet for us!

• Like 3

Yes, it's now $15.99 per day for my cruise in January so I am booking it.  Got it on sale last year for $14.99/day so that is about as cheap as it gets.  We get only 1 and take turns using our devices.  Yes, I have to sign in as my husband.  I can read books or play games on my IPad w/o being online.  We just don't spend that much time online on a cruise.  IF I did want 2 devices I would pay as ONE person with 2 devices.  It is cheaper that way.

38 minutes ago, khiori466 said:

Yes, it's now $15.99 per day for my cruise in January so I am booking it.  Got it on sale last year for $14.99/day so that is about as cheap as it gets.  We get only 1 and take turns using our devices.  Yes, I have to sign in as my husband.  I can read books or play games on my IPad w/o being online.  We just don't spend that much time online on a cruise.  IF I did want 2 devices I would pay as ONE person with 2 devices.  It is cheaper that way.

If someone could please let me know what percentage off are you seeing?  I'm Canadian and at 25% for Black Friday it is $30.15 per day for 7day in Jan on Harmony.  Just wondering it it is different percentages or if they are using "RCL math" to calculate exchange rate🤨.

We purchased a wifi hub before our last cruise (HAL) and had 1 wifi purchase on the ship.  The 3 of us were able to use the the one ship thru the hub when in the room and our son was able to use it when we were not in the room.  We are planning to try that same procedure on our upcoming RCL cruises and are hoping for similar performance.

22 minutes ago, IceChick said:

If someone could please let me know what percentage off are you seeing?  I'm Canadian and at 25% for Black Friday it is $30.15 per day for 7day in Jan on Harmony.  Just wondering it it is different percentages or if they are using "RCL math" to calculate exchange rate🤨.

My January Harmony Cruise is showing $20.99 USD per day at 25% off. 30% off ($34.99 USD) for 2 devices, 45% off ($39.99 USD) off for 3 devices, 55% off ($41.99 USD) for 4 devices

Definitely some RCCL math that goes into the exchange rate, and nearly always in their favour. This time I booked with a US travel agency so all of my cruise planner items are in USD and I can use my no foreign exchange fee credit card instead. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IceChick said:

My cruise prices for VOOM are pathetic and I'm American. 🙂

Dec Anthem is 18.99 pp, March Wonder is 21.99 pp and Utopia early Nov is 22.99. I don't need access to 3 or 4 devices and that seems to be where the sales are for my cruises.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

We purchased a wifi hub before our last cruise (HAL) and had 1 wifi purchase on the ship.  The 3 of us were able to use the the one ship thru the hub when in the room and our son was able to use it when we were not in the room.  We are planning to try that same procedure on our upcoming RCL cruises and are hoping for similar performance.

That's always worked for me on Royal and the one Carnival sailing I did. The last time I tried on Royal was June of last year. Mine is small enough I can also carry it around with a battery pack.

Edited by fizzywm

On 11/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, TJA27 said:

We are a family of 4.  I have always booked 4 guests and 4 devices so that we can all be online on our phones at same time if we want.  The cost is pretty high, so I started searching/reading and came upon this thread.  Are you guys saying I can book 1 guest and 4 devices and still do the same things we always have?  The cost is significantly less.  Is there a downfall to doing it this way?

If one of the four people on line tries to log a fifth device in then someone will get kicked off and you can't predict who.  So this requires that the person using the new device log themselves off before logging on the new device.

Some people who need two devices will buy the four device package and sell the extra two to someone else on their roll call.  As long as everyone only uses their slot and doesn't try to log in a fifth device it works.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ecslady said:

If 1 person (me) books a 3 device package, how do the other 2 people (my daughter & SIL) get log ins so they can access the internet?

They use the same login you created when you login to claim your package. When you try to login a fourth device, it will kick off one of the existing devices.

Just now, EllieinNJ said:

Does the discount get bigger depending on the days of the cruise? My 5 day Liberty in Sept. Says $19 99pd and my 7 day Odyssey in Feb 2025 has nothing listed yet.

Voom prices vary for a bunch of reasons, but length of sailing is very unlikely one of them.

2 hours ago, ecslady said:

If 1 person (me) books a 3 device package, how do the other 2 people (my daughter & SIL) get log ins so they can access the internet?  I'm used to only booking for myself, so I want to know exactly how everyone logs on.

You create a user name and pin and give it to them.  Each person should just log onto one device at a time.  If they want to switch devices, they must log off one and log on to the other.  Only three devices are allowed to be on line at the same time.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

They use the same login you created when you login to claim your package. When you try to login a fourth device, it will kick off one of the existing devices.

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

You create a user name and pin and give it to them.  Each person should just log onto one device at a time.  If they want to switch devices, they must log off one and log on to the other.  Only three devices are allowed to be on line at the same time.

So they just open their web browser, and go to the log in page?  They don't go to the app like I would when first activating the package on my phone. Is that correct?

22 minutes ago, ecslady said:

So they just open their web browser, and go to the log in page?  They don't go to the app like I would when first activating the package on my phone. Is that correct?

Depends on the device logging in- on a mobile device you can go directly via the app. On a laptop, go via a browser. 

31 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Depends on the device logging in- on a mobile device you can go directly via the app. On a laptop, go via a browser. 

Thanks.  We will all have our iphones.

Edited by ecslady

55 minutes ago, ecslady said:

You select the Royal wifi, then open up your browser.  It will prompt you to select a package or to log on to your existing package.  Sometimes you have to type "logon.com" to get to the Royal log on page.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, PigsCanFly said:

My DD and I have cruised many times just taking turns with one Voom purchase.  If we purchase a "wifi hub", will we be able to both play our games, send emails, etc. at the same time?  Will we both need to be in the cabin together?  You mentioned your son using it when you weren't in the room.  Does that mean you wouldn't be using the Voom package while away from your room?  TIA from this wifi illiterate.

3 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

My DD and I have cruised many times just taking turns with one Voom purchase.  If we purchase a "wifi hub", will we be able to both play our games, send emails, etc. at the same time?  Will we both need to be in the cabin together?  You mentioned your son using it when you weren't in the room.  Does that mean you wouldn't be using the Voom package while away from your room?  TIA from this wifi illiterate.

The "hub" we bought was ULTRAwifiPro. Once it was hooked up to wifi we purchased, all 3 of us could use it in the room for whatever we needed to do.  When we were all out of the room, (shows, meals, etc) our Son (30 yr old) could use the purchased wifi on his device.  Once back in the room, we rehooked the hub up and all were able to use it.  It was an experiment for us and we will always travel with it on cruises now.

4 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

As long as you are both connected to the hub (these are often called travel routers) and it is logged in to Voom. The hub acts as the "1 device". The first step is you would connect your phones to the hub's wifi. Then visit the hub's admin panel in your browser to connect it to the ship wifi. Then, while your phone is still connected to the hub's wifi network (NOT the ship wifi), go to login.com to sign into Voom. Once you've signed in, any device(s) connected to the hub's wifi will have internet access.

If you leave the travel router in your room but want to use Voom elsewhere on the ship, you would connect your phone to the ship's wifi and log in to Voom again, bumping off the hub's sign in to Voom.* Then only the person who signed into Voom on their device would be able to be online (provided you paid for one device Voom).

*Sometimes the bumping off doesn't work for me, so usually I make sure to log out of Voom by visiting  logoff.com before leaving the hub behind in the room.

Once back in the room you'd connect back to the hub's wifi, visit login.com again to sign back into Voom, then anything connected to the hub has internet access. However, some of these devices are small enough to take with you with a battery pack. Look into the gl.inet Mango or TP-link Nano. I rubber band the router to an external battery and take it along if I want to share wifi outside the room with my companion.

I've had a travel router for years and it's also great for using in hotels with devices that can't access these types of captive portals as easily, like older Fire sticks or if you want to take an Amazon Echo with you. Anything that has connected to the travel router in the past will easily/automatically connect to it again, so you don't have to do the annoying hotel login page multiple times. I've also used it at home during power outages when the internet is out. I don't get a great cellular signal so I can put my phone near the window where it works, enable tethering, connect the router powered by an external battery to my phone's wifi and then share it around the house for multiple devices.

Edited by fizzywm